Information overload

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi recently diagnosed with diabetes unsure what type as result aren't back yet I have been told maybe 1.5 bit shell shocked to be honest .im a 44 year old male thought I was fit and healthy until I got thrush November 2016 went to dr who didn't take this seriously even though I told him I urinate maybe 20 times a day .he basically made me beg to get refer to a urologist who said I have a terribly damaged foreskin and would need a circumcision(thrush was still not picked up on ) three more months later during the pre op med some thing wasn't right so was refused op sent to dr who measured my ketones then sent me straight back to a and e . I Feel absolutely let down by the gp and knowing what I know now all the signs where there, thrush caused by yeast in my urine peeing 20 times a day ,I had terrible hives for months caused by the infections which are now gone as I finally was prescribed the correct thrush treatment 9 months later . I'm now on insulin four times a day still learning but am absolutely going to do the very best I can to not let this takeover my life for me a my fantastic little family. I've had a few shakey moment but have dealt with it by having something to eat .the repeat prescription are a night mare seems completely disjointed.on a good notes the very same gp surgery seem to be looking after me very well with a great diabetic nurse. I still don't really understand fully as there is so much info from the units of insulin to have and carb counting my food and many many other issue that have all of sudden arisen from being diagnosed .good luck to all of you and your families as I know mine are dealing with this as much as I am and are supporting me through this I love them all x.... N

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi recently diagnosed with diabetes unsure what type as result aren't back yet I have been told maybe 1.5 bit shell shocked to be honest .im a 44 year old male thought I was fit and healthy until I got thrush November 2016 went to dr who didn't take this seriously even though I told him I urinate maybe 20 times a day .he basically made me beg to get refer to a urologist who said I have a terribly damaged foreskin and would need a circumcision(thrush was still not picked up on ) three more months later during the pre op med some thing wasn't right so was refused op sent to dr who measured my ketones then sent me straight back to a and e . I Feel absolutely let down by the gp and knowing what I know now all the signs where there, thrush caused by yeast in my urine peeing 20 times a day ,I had terrible hives for months caused by the infections which are now gone as I finally was prescribed the correct thrush treatment 9 months later . I'm now on insulin four times a day still learning but am absolutely going to do the very best I can to not let this takeover my life for me a my fantastic little family. I've had a few shakey moment but have dealt with it by having something to eat .the repeat prescription are a night mare seems completely disjointed.on a good notes the very same gp surgery seem to be looking after me very well with a great diabetic nurse. I still don't really understand fully as there is so much info from the units of insulin to have and carb counting my food and many many other issue that have all of sudden arisen from being diagnosed .good luck to all of you and your families as I know mine are dealing with this as much as I am and are supporting me through this I love them all x.... N

Hi. You have certainly had a pretty awful time of it...possibly needlessly...and I am glad your urologist had a more professional approach than your GP; I'd change him right away. I do hope you get a lot from the site...I certainly have. There's an awful lot of experience here. I expect you will get it all under control well enough. Having a"fantastic little family" will make it all do-able. Good luck.

D

Deleted Account

Sounds like you've been through the mill. But the good news is you now know the route cause of your problems. Personally, I always celebrate "D"-day. This is not the day I got diabetes, it is the day I was diagnosed with diabetes. Although it was a traumatic experience, if the diagnosis had not happened, I wouldn't be here to celebrate it. I don't know the day I got diabetes and my body started killing off insulin-producing cells but that doesn't sound like the kind of day I want to remember anyway.

I remember the information overload. It gets easier but there is always something new to learn.
You probably have enough material to read through but if you want something written in a different style, many people recommend the book "Think like a Pancreas". It is American so you have to skip through the bits about insurance (in my case, I skipped in a smug glad-we-have-the-NHS-despite-some-of-its-failings kind of way). I found the tone annoyingly pally but many people find the content useful.

Reactions: Snapsy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello And welcome @Mr_one_point_five_ :)

Yes there's alot to learn, but there is a ceiling to the point at which you'll have all the knowledge you need to help you manage the day to day stuff. The positive side is that you're diagnosed and you're on treatment so life only get's better from here on in. We all know how it feels and it does get better. Helen's already recommended 'Think like a pancreas' which is an excellent read, my advice is to keep recording and writing down your insulin doses and blood glucose results, in the early days keeping a watchful eye on this will help you see patterns and learn more about how insulin affects your BG levels, Diaconnect is a good one for your phone as you can download the results and ping them off to your Diabetic Nurse if you need to make adjustments. And of course we are all here to support you so shout it you need support.