Insulin and T2

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Last week my DN suggested I consider moving onto insulin as the oral medication for my T2 was not convincing, and that it may be of assistance until I have good enough liver function results to start on Metformin.

I have initially declined and said I would like to try and improve my carb intake combined with Gliclazide, this was frowned upon as the DN does not want me to reduce carbs?

If I am unable to manage on carbs and ziclazide are there any other options, or should I accept the offer of Insulin and take my DN's advice.

I am a salesman and do a lot of mileage so I am also concerned about insulin and the dvla and insurance companies.

Has anyone got any views or advice on this, as I have mixed feelings.

Thanks

Cinderella

Is the nurse suggesting you use insulin for a short term only? I have heard that some T2s are offered this but they do not remain on insulin. It works well for some people I believe but I can't speak from personal experience. Perhaps someone more experienced than me will come along soon who can offer a bit more insight.

Best Regards
Cinders

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cinders,

Thanks for your post, the DN is suggesting insulin as a temp measure until my liver is in good enough condition to handle Metformin, thanks again, and really interested to see what the general consensus is