Insulin, diet and weightloss.

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have lost 5kilos so far on a lower carb/low calories diet- been doing it about 2 months. I have been having a lot of hypos since I started though and found my insulin doses have reduced a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I usually have about 60grams- sometimes a little higher if I have hypos and have to eat jelly babies!

jazglo

I was diagnosed T1D in October last year. I started eating low carb paleo inspired in September last year about a month or so before diagnosis and I have lost nearly 20 kgs. I eat between 40-100g a day, I think my average is around 60g. I am eating organic and not processed and I feel fantastic despite the diabetes and starting a pump in January that took 7 weeks to calibrate. The only thing is that the weight is coming off at a slower rate than it has in the past before diabetes, but it is still coming off. Not far to goal weight now :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've never had to go on a diet to lose weight as always had plenty of exercise.
I did adjust my carb intake once diagnosed with ME and not very active, thus maintained my weight that way. (Type 1 49 years)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I lost over 2 stone a few years back and have managed to keep it off, I just reduced my portion sizes and stopped snacking between meals, so ate less calories than I was burning,

I think at the time I was eating around 130g of carbs a day, it was also around this time that I did the DAFNE course, getting to grips with injecting the right amount of insulin means fewer hypo's which in turn leads to fewer calories consumed.

I also got some helpful advice from the dietitian at my hospital clinic.

Reactions: 4 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I lost 2 stone on a low carb diet a few years ago, really low carbs prob less than 50 per day, reduced basal to 12 u from 24 u and very little bolus. Sadly put it all back on plus more in 2 pregnancies, now need to get it off again!