Insulin Pumps

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
Hi there

my doctor has mentioned maybe swapping me from 4 injections a day to an insulin pump, call me vain, but I'm not sure about the whole idea... does anyone use one and/or can tell me how big they are and the convenience of them?

I'm a 24yr old girl and I keep having images of me walking around with a big lump under my top and its extremely offputting!!!

any views? :? x

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
Hey there!

To answer your question, they're about the size of mobile phone or a pager. I'm 26, have been using the pump since Feb and I dont really notice it that much. If you really want to hide it, the best place I've found, is in my bra - right in the middle of the front. Otherwise I usually just clip it to the belt of my jeans, mostly at the side, but sometimes at the back. I can wear a cardigan or jacket over it and no-one see's anything :)

If you think your health would benefit, I would definitely at least give it a trial. I was given a pump to play with for a week without it being connected before I went ahead and had the insulin put in. I worked out some places to put it, slept with it on to see if I'd notice it in my sleep, that kind of thing. Now I'm pretty confortable with it. My friends are getting used to it.

finney

Hi

I have had my pump about one month and find it less obtrusive. My medtronic has a wireless connection from my meter to the pump and a programme to work out the insulin level needed. I change the canula every 2/3 days and no needles!! Anyone who sees it is fascinated and wants to know all about it. It takes a great deal of commitment to get the pump programmed but you get loads of help. Go for it
tricia

Vonnie

I felt exactly the same when my diabetes team started talking about me getting a pump. I was worried about what it would look like, people being able to see it, what clothes to wear etc. I gave in eventually and got my pump two weeks ago. It's early days yet and we're still sorting out my basal insulin levels, but I can tell it's going to be so much better. I already feel like I have more energy as my blood sugars are more stable, and having the pump clipped to my clothes isn't an issue at all. I usually have it clipped to my jeans or down my bra, and it feels fine. I'd definately recommend it so far!

lisaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
quote="Vonnie"]I felt exactly the same when my diabetes team started talking about me getting a pump. I was worried about what it would look like, people being able to see it, what clothes to wear etc. I gave in eventually and got my pump two weeks ago. It's early days yet and we're still sorting out my basal insulin levels, but I can tell it's going to be so much better. I already feel like I have more energy as my blood sugars are more stable, and having the pump clipped to my clothes isn't an issue at all. I usually have it clipped to my jeans or down my bra, and it feels fine. I'd definately recommend it so far![/quote]

Hello i'm just waiting to see a consultant about getting the pump and I am so nervous about it i also borrowed one to see if i could sleep with it and work with it as i work within a nursery so am worried something will happen to it !! i found it alittle uncomfy to sleep but i suppose u get used to that my bloods are up and down for no reason other than they said my body is reacting differently during the day i;m on 5 injections at the moment but feel so tired and worn out all the time is the pump better as i feel all mixed up !!! please help thanks been a diabetic type 1 for 31 years

Vonnie

I definately think the pump is better for me. I've had real issues with my insulin resistance changing throughout the day. I'd wake up high every day, have hypo's mid afternoon, then by evening it was rising again. I was tired all the time, moody and depressed, and I don't think I realised how much the crazy swings in blood sugar affected me. It's only two weeks in with the pump, but just having stable blood sugars throughout the afternoon has made a big difference to my energy levels. I never thought i'd get my diabetes under control, and at times just felt like giving up but right now I feel quite positive about it all! I feel like i'm finally on the way to getting things under control, and i'd definately recommend trying it.

jopar

lisaloo

Nursery no problems, I worked in kennels handling dogs, many ill-mannered ones to be found... I did on one occasions have a very hefty staffie catch his back paw in my tubing when he was jumping up, and it didn't disloged either my pump (cliped to my Jeans) or pull the canular out, the tube itself was 60cm long when I left for work, after staffie it was around 120cm :lol:

As to sleeping, I personally find it a lot better to allow my pump to roam finding it when I get up by following the tubing :lol: I have on one occasion found my OH fast asleep holding it :lol: :lol: And talking about the OH, the pump makes a surperb anti-snoring device indeed, just place behind there back, and when they roll onto there back, it automatically makes them roll back to there side, no sorning :D :lol: :lol:

It can be daughting after so long injecting, and seem a lot to take on all at one go, but you can start of with basic's first so very similar to injecting, using a straight bolous while you sort out basal rates, but once you'll more confidenct then you can try the different bolus's to see how they suit etc...

I know I was a little apprenhensive and edggy about wearing the pump over night, and it pumping insulin into me... That was until my OH have commented and pointed out that I injected my Levimer at 11pm, so had insulin in me over-night, so whats the difference?

But as the old advege says. if they offer try it, if you don't like it then you can always hand it back... Believe me there are only a very few people who try pumping that do decide it isn't for them... Most are like me, I told my diabetic team, if they wanted to take it back they would have to physically remove it from me... And then I would sue for GBH :lol: :lol:

pinkjinks58

Dislikes
Hair, Dogs, Spiders, Rain & Ignorant people!
thanks everyone!!

I had a continual glucose monitoring device attached to me for 72 hours a while back and loathed it, I'm just scared it'll annoy me!!

is it a wireless device? It's a really foreign peice of equipment to me!

In the long run i know it will be alot more beneficial from what I've been told and i do HATE injecting but after 19 years of yoyo blood sugar levels i feel like ive got no other option really!!

:) xx

MeMeMe!!!

Hi,
I was wondering what a insulin pump is like instead of having the injections? Just wondering because i am thinking about getting one.

Thankyou please get back to me

MeMeMe!!! (username)
Alexandria Hardie

Angelicus

Dislikes
People who like the sound of their own voice and think they know better than everyone else.
At first, I found it weird. Not having to inject, I kept feeling like I was forgetting to do something. But I soon got used to it. Its very handy, a lot more subtle than injection - especially when out and about, eating in restaurants etc.

Aesthetically, it's not really an issue either. They're small enough to hide and some even come with a remote control, so you don't even have to pull it out.

Mine has been life changing, but I can only speak for myself. There are people who have given it back and decided it wasnt the right choice for them. I can suggest to give it a go. Can't know till you try :)

lisaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:) Hello thank you for replying about pumps I have my appointment tomorrow with the consultant it helped to hear about others experience with the pump I still feel nervous but i'm no better with blood sugars still up and down but have been told ive now started the menopause !!!! Ouch something else to make the situation harder to control !! Would like to keep in touch to see how things go fingers crossed i'm trying to stay positive as things will improve I hope ha ha :lol: Lisaloo

iHs

MeMeMe!!! said:
Hi,
I was wondering what a insulin pump is like instead of having the injections? Just wondering because i am thinking about getting one.

Thankyou please get back to me

MeMeMe!!! (username)
Alexandria Hardie

Hiya :)

If you look at INPUT Me website you will see that every 3 months a get together is held in a London pub. If you are able to travel there you will be able to meet up with loads of pump users all with different pumps. It's all friendly so no one will mind you looking and touching the pumps.