Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 10 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Diana, I think it was but no matter, good to spread the article more widely as they slip down the list very fast sometimes.

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It needs saying again and again as the saturated fat dogma is so very pernicious !

Reactions: 11 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just e-mailed this to my diabetes team, very interesting read! thanks for sharing.

steve451

I read this article a few days ago, and will take a copy to my next blood test results in a few days. My practice nurse even questioned my diabetic status last time as my results were so good. When she asked how I did it and I told here I eat to my meter and eat as few carbs as possible she was horrified and told me that A) I shouldn't be testing as a type 2, and that B) I must eat more carbs. I asked her if they also recommended people start smoking to help treat lung disorders!

Reactions: 5 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's often lost in these debates is the question on what's worse for a diabetic, carbs or fat?

Sure, for the few who are successful with carb counting, or those who can get by on the variety of drugs available to Type 2s, then carbs are fine.

But for the rest of us, carbs are bad. They make us blind, make our limbs need amputating, give us kidney disease, some cancers, oh and heart disease and strokes.

Fats, alleged by some, give us the latter two. I know what I'll take my chances with.

Reactions: 9 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I disagree Sam, debates are normally framed exactly like that: carbs or fat as if one must be eating predominantly one or the other with no thought about quality.

We get daft miss mashed history (cobbled from internet myths) in this article . We are told that Ancel Keys promoted the Med diet and it was low fat. He did favour a Med diet but it isn't particularly low fat. ( and the seven countries study didn't involve one visit during lent, it took many years.)

' Cretan residents (in the seven countries study) had the lowest rates of CVD of all populations observed in the Seven Countries Study, followed closely by rural Japanese.1 This statistic is interesting because Cretans had one of the highest-fat diets (37% of calories from fats)'
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/tdaug2007pg34.shtml
Fasting days did mean more fish, veg and legumes. She points to France and the French paradox well even today I don't see much use of butter and cream but I do see lots of veg , fruits fish and bread with some meats and cheese Actually, I wonder how much religious fasting (ie lent, pre Christmas, Fridays and Assumption) went on in predominantly RC SW France in those years, even in Anglican England most people still ate fish on Fridays and gave up foods for Lent !

Sugar is devoid of anything but calories but some fats have very few nutrients and are also virtually empty calories ie coconut oil.

Personally. think that we should be thinking of healthful diets, the foods we eat should be nutrient, not energy dense . As people with diabetes, we are as susceptible (probably more susceptible) to other health problems as others.
David Katzs recent paper looks at lots of diet patterns including various versions of low carb diets . He reiterates Michael Pollan that those that seem to be most healthful tend to be
'not too much, mostly plants '
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182351

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, Phoenix, I should have been more clear. I meant that debates about fat vs carbs (such as the this thread, for example) should be contextualised in terms of diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No worries. I think we can all dig out studies that support our hypothesis on whether low carb or high carb is best.

Personally, I don't need a small-scale, poorly-designed clinical trial to tell me that low carbing is inefficacious or unsafe. I experience it's safety and efficacy every day.

For the majority of diabetics who can't get by with carb counting or low fat diets, reducing carbs and increasing fats is a safe, efficacious and logical thing to do.

Ultimately all anyone can do is pay attention to their numbers and find out what works for them. Whether it's high carb or not, but I guarantee that low carb will work. I can't say the same for high carb!

Reactions: 2 people