Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quick introduction, I'll look at the questions at the top of this thread a little later on.

I'm now 71 and have been type II since 1997. My major problem seems to be Insulin Resistance as blood tests show my pancreas is still working. In the past I've had issues with drugs making my pancreas produce more insulin because of weight issues. Although a member for some years I've been AWOL for several years. I currently take Metformin and Jardiance. I tend to follow a low carb diet but a massive internal bleed (colonoscopy polyp removal) sort of scuppered that for a while and although most things are easy to avoid, bread is a bit of a weakness. I've got the almond and coconut flour, just need the enthusiasm.
Hello, and welcome back @DavidGrahamJones
You could find more info about bread alternatives if you start dedicated thread, or look in the low carb sub-forum. I recently had severe illness and could only manage a limited diet, of toast and banana for several weeks . The advice from forum members to use bread from this company was invaluable in assisting my recovery.

MissNelly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone. i'll give this a go;

- What is your name? Nell
- How old are you? Old enough to remember bovril crisps
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? I was born in the uk
- Which city/area do you live in? London
- Are you religious? I'd call it spiritual
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Sarcy, loyal, caring?? ;/
- Do you have any pets? Yup, British black
- Microsoft or Apple? Mac
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Disabled now but enjoyed volleyball, badminton, hockey once upon a time
- Do you get angry easily? Recently yes, I hate it.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yup, tats take your pic, piercings, not any more
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Aretha Franklin, This is a bit too hard as i have an eclectic taste, too many really, Harry Styles, Rolling Stone, Etta James, Anita Baker I could list hundreds. I won't.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Again as the above. Motown, R&B, rock, country [love Dolly], Opera/Classical, list is vast.
- What is your favourite flag? ???
- Ever gone camping? Yup, France and lake district and I prefer 5 star hotel if i'm honest.
- Ever been in love? Looking back, not so sure I have.
- Ever used fake tan? Yeah but no idea why as i'm already tanned.
- Which countries have you visited? USA, Finland, Switzerland, Germany, France, Greece
- Favourite city? Berlin
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Don't watch lots of tv but I do like travel shows, documentaries, big brother in early days. Luther, oh I do like four in a bed- is tat what it's called? hmm
- List your five favourite films. Alien [the old ones not new] Passport to Pimlico - a classic, All the Die Hard movies [yes I said it], any Bette Davis, yes i'm into old movies, Harry Potters are great. I like horror, thrillers, some comedy.
- Are you wealthy? 'Ave a word.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Nope, was made redundant earlier in year.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Usual ones way back and the the Arts.
- What do you like most about yourself? My humour, if I ever get it back.
- What do you like least about yourself? Right now, Too many things to state here.

Do I win a prize now? ;D

Leda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, Just joined the forum my name is Lindsay been Type 1 since Aug 1978 aged 16 yrs .cant understand how I am still here now at 61 yrs as I wasn't a good boy when younger lol.
Hoping to learn some things here that can help me with "morning effect" been fighting it for years now.
Im located in sunny Perth Australia have lived here since 1977.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
- Include a photo here if you wish to
Wouldn't wish to put anyone off their low sugar food.

- What is your name?
Probably shouldn't put my real one so I'll pretend it's Richard Scratcher as a kind of diabetes symptom in-joke of sorts.

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?
Male

- Which country are you from?
Eng-er-land

- Which city/area do you live in?
A coastal town that they forgot to close down

- Are you religious?
After my very strict Catholic upbringing? Are you mad?

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Difficult, Contrary.

- Do you have any pets?
Only my hates.

- Microsoft or Apple?
Ideally, neither. After the Carbolic Smoke Ball Co debacle, I decided to forswear brand loyalty.

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Like: cycling and football. Play: none (although I was a world class truant back in my schooldays)

- Do you get angry easily?
Exactly what are you trying to suggest? Did you spill my pint? etc.

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
I have a life-sized portrait of Bernard Breslaw inked between my shoulder blades but the density of my back hair has, sadly, rendered it invisible.

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Err... For the next five minutes? Jethro Tull, Nick Drake, Black Crowes, Led Zeppelin, Depeche Mode

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Landfill Dadrock

- What is your favourite flag?
Textured Concrete: 400mm x 400mm x 32mm

- Ever gone camping?
No but I came last in a drag race.

- Ever been in love?
Continually dahling.

- Ever used fake tan?
Unfortunately yes. On my natural brogues. They now look like Judith Chalmers.

- Which countries have you visited?
The past. Didn't like it. They did things differently there.

- Favourite city?
Probably a mashup of Prague and St Helens. The combination of frequent defenestrations and the Pilkington Glass factory would seem like a symbiotic combination.

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy. Brass Eye. Noggin the Nog. The Flashing Blade. World of Sport with Dickie Davies.

- List your five favourite films.
The Duellists, Winter Light, The Go Between, The Offence, A compilation of Jan Švankmajer animations, the name of which escapes me. Probably The Best of Jan Švankmajer volume 2, or something.

- Are you wealthy?
Staggeringly so. It's why I can waste what seems like hours filling this in instead of my usual evening's activities, typically pickpocketing the elderly or setting up pyramid schemes to defraud wealthy Egyptians.

- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yes. As little as possible. (You set 'em up... etc.)

- List the subjects you study/have studied.
IT. Graphic Design. Neither to a particularly high standard.

- What do you like most about yourself?
My forearms are the only vaguely normal looking part of my otherwise despicable appearance, so probably those.

- What do you like least about yourself?
That I felt compelled to go through every bloody question on this template with the mistaken belief that the act of listing my preferences and likes would lead me to a deeper self-awareness. It didn't. I'm still a mystery to myself.

SharonJP

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Sharon
- How old are you? 58
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Shropshire
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Happy, generous, genuine
- Do you have any pets? Yes, 2 Jack Russell pups
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Love watching Athletics, like playing badminton
- Do you get angry easily? Depends on the situation
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? did have my ears pierced but they’ve closed up
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Too many to mention
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? New wave / alternative / 70’s&80’s
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Yes
- Which countries have you visited? America, Germany, France, Italy, Barbados, Belgium, Spain
- Favourite city? Bath
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Anything thrillery or drama, also true crime
- List your five favourite films. Too many
- Are you wealthy? Not money wise
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, customer service manager
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Comprehensive education
- What do you like most about yourself? Genuine
- What do you like least about yourself? Lack of control around food

Have fun!

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!

Reactions: Antje77

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Denise
- How old are you? 71
- Which city/area do you live in? Suffolk
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Anti social, loner, miserable
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily? Depends on the situation
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Ears pierced
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. The Beatles, Michael Bublé, Neil Diamond, Adele,
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? New wave / alternative / 60,s
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? America, Scotland
- Favourite city? Edinburgh

Reactions: Antje77 and Prancy

Rondominius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
My name is Ron Warren. I was diagnosed with type 2 in December 1999 by my then GP. Since that diagnosis, my experience with the NHS has been nothing short of wonderful. My opinion on the NHS may not be typical among forum members, but I must speak as I find.
I look forward to participating in the group and hope to pick up useful info too.
Ciao for now.
Ron

SBarnes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name? Simon
- How old are you? 36
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? Essex
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Professional, Crazy, Quiet
- Do you have any pets? No, I wish I could
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? N/A
- Do you get angry easily? I try not to, unless I am in pain then get out of my way :)
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? None
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. I dont really have a favourite
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Whatever is next on my phone
- What is your favourite flag? Essex, who doesnt love a flag with swords
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Scotland, Wales, France, Bulgaria, Belgium, Cyprus, Spain
- Favourite city? Exeter

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
My name is Ron Warren. I was diagnosed with type 2 in December 1999 by my then GP. Since that diagnosis, my experience with the NHS has been nothing short of wonderful. My opinion on the NHS may not be typical among forum members, but I must speak as I find.
I look forward to participating in the group and hope to pick up useful info too.
Ciao for now.
Ron
Hello Ron, and welcome,

Oh, the NHS pretty much miraculously saved a friend's life when his aorta burst, and later on when he got a cancer diagnosis, so.... Experiences vary, as they do in everything, I suppose. Never had to deal with it myself, being Dutch, but I think it just may be a case of luck... And funding, which is universally true, it seems, in all countries. Glad you got help you were/are happy with, really. :)

Anyway, welcome, and I hope we can be of use! :)
Jo

Keith Saunders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat the food I used to.
OK here we go:
- Include a photo here if you wish to. - maybe later....
- What is your name? Keith
- How old are you? 53
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? Teesside
- Are you religious? Absolutely not. Have you seen what religion does to the world?
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Woke (alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination)
- Do you have any pets? Two dogs, one cat. Might put up their photo instead.
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple phone, Samsung Watch, MS Windows laptop.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Watch many occasionally on TV, though always the F1
- Do you get angry easily? I get angry at the way others act
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Tattoo on my back...maybe that photo instead of the pets?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Just five??? OK - The Specials, The Beat, The Jam, The Beatles, George Michael - can I name others please? Spandau Ballet, ABC, Human League, Soft Cell, Madness
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Ska/2-Tone, New Romantics,
- What is your favourite flag? Apart from the blue one with the stars in a circle which I'm not allowed to use anymore? NONE
- Ever gone camping? Yes and still do regularly
- Ever been in love? Yes - do I need to count the times?
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? USA, Mexico, Thailand, Maldives, Greece, Croatia, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Finland (sure there are others I've forgotten)
- Favourite city? York

Reactions: Antje77 and Prancy
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Im Sue recently diagnosed Christmas Eve I am 75 ,I had been on steroids for a chest infection and suddenly I have diabetes,Iam 5 ft 6 in and weight 10stone 4 ibs so not overweight.I have 2 dogs so active daily I was given a glucose test Christmas eve and it was 21 .today 10 days later its down to 11.I have stopped all sugar and salt .Unfortunately I have a urine infection today so Im in pain

• Hug
Reactions: Prancy and Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed Chritmas Eve with diabetes I am 75 iI am 5 ft 6 weigh 10 4 I did lose weight but putting it back on and was fit , I had a terrible chest infection and was put on steroids a few weeks before The doctor thinks the steroids trigged somthing in my body .Anway my glucose count was 21 Christmas Eve today its dropped to. 9 then 4 then 7 so not doing to bad.I was put on insulin straight away and Glimerpiride My only concens my eyes and I am going abroad soon can you see any problems please

Last edited:
Reactions: Prancy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed Chritmas Eve with diabetes I am 75 iI am 5 ft 6 weigh 10 4 I did lose weight but putting it back on and was fit , I had a terrible chest infection and was put on steroids a few weeks before The doctor thinks the steroids trigged somthing in my body .Anway my glucose count was 21 Christmas Eve today its dropped to. 9 then 4 then 7 so not doing to bad.I was put on insulin straight away and Glimerpiride My only concens my eyes and I am going abroad soon can you see any problems please
I believe that eye sight loss only occurs after long times of high bg levels (am sure people will leap in soon if I'm wrong). You seem to have sudden onset so theres no past of long high bg
So if you manage to manage your bg well you might be able to avoid or minimise eye problems

As for going abroad its a matter of taking enough supplies.. use the search button for "abroad" and you can read lots of advice

Juan D

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! My name is Juan, I'm prediabetic. I mainly focus on my diet and exercise but it's a daily struggle trying to cook for the household with so many different needs.

Reactions: Prancy
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe that eye sight loss only occurs after long times of high bg levels (am sure people will leap in soon if I'm wrong). You seem to have sudden onset so theres no past of long high bg
So if you manage to manage your bg well you might be able to avoid or minimise eye problems

As for going abroad its a matter of taking enough supplies.. use the search button for "abroad" and you can read lots of advice
Does the flight affect us