Introduction. Type2.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi Amanda. All the things you have bought look good, however some people find that porridge causes a rise in BS levels so you might want to test this. If you haven't got one already I would recommend getting a meter so you can test your levels and find out what affects you. You could try adding your seeds and nuts to full fat natural yoghurt (I use Alpro coconut yoghurt which is low carb) or make your own grain free granola. With regards to fruit, I stick to berries although my neighbour keeps giving me cherries which I love! The general advice is to avoid bananas and grapes, and root vegetables. I eat a LOT of cauliflower in many different forms and green leafy veg.
Thanks for the advice, have read so many variations, but will find out once I start testing.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the advice, have read so many variations, but will find out once I start testing.
Can I also ask is it ok to drink flavoured water, diet drinks/mixers freely?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I also ask is it ok to drink flavoured water, diet drinks/mixers freely?
I would be cautious and read labels carefully. If I go out I only drink soda water with a slice of lime. For one thing it has no carbs and for another it is free in pubs!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Just been talking to my friend who was borderline earlier this year she had 2 do special diet cutting out all the things we know about but couldn't drink flavoured waters or diet drinks? I thought sweeteners etc were fine to have?
I agree with the advice to check labels ie the flavoured waters. IMO diet drinks are fine. Some people worry that artificial sweeteners are dangerous but they have been shown to be safe time and time again by researchers. I can provide links if you want the details. A few people seem to have bad reactions to them so obviously if that happens to you, don't drink/eat them. I love being able to use sweeteners because otherwise a lot of foods and drinks would taste horrible to me.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with the advice to check labels ie the flavoured waters. IMO diet drinks are fine. Some people worry that artificial sweeteners are dangerous but they have been shown to be safe time and time again by researchers. I can provide links if you want the details. A few people seem to have bad reactions to them so obviously if that happens to you, don't drink/eat them. I love being able to use sweeteners because otherwise a lot of foods and drinks would taste horrible to me.
If labels say no sugar only sweetners is that what u mean, says carbs 0.5

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Some sweeteners have a tiny amount of carbs. If it has, say, 0.5g carbs out of 100g/100ml of product, that's pretty low, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. For example, a 300ml can of diet drink would have 1.5g carbs. There's 5g of sugar in a teaspoon. Whereas, a regular drink has heaps of sugar, not sure how much but it's several teaspoons.

EDIT: I just found out a can of regular coke has around 10 teaspoons of sugar. Yikes. Some health agencies recommend everyone should have no more than 6 teaspoons of added sugar a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is it safe to take forskokin tablets 250mg to help with weight loss, I bought before I was diagnosed and cant get a refund on them

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is it safe to take forskokin tablets 250mg to help with weight loss, I bought before I was diagnosed and cant get a refund on them
I did a search on this product and couldn't find much information saying it was safe, and could find no information saying it was effective in weight loss. I would stop taking it (better to be safe than sorry), and I would put it down to experience and be wary of products like this in the future. Very few drugs help with weight loss and when it comes to supplements there isn't much evidence of effectiveness or safety, and some of them have evidence that they are not safe. Here is further info on forskolin:
http://www.drugs.com/npc/forskolin.html
http://examine.com/supplements/Coleus forskohlii/
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/forskolin-here-we-go-again/

Last edited by a moderator:

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did a search on this product and couldn't find much information saying it was safe, and could find no information saying it was effective in weight loss. I would stop taking it (better to be safe than sorry), and I would put it down to experience and be wary of products like this in the future. Very few drugs help with weight loss and when it comes to supplements there isn't much evidence of effectiveness or safety, and some of them have evidence that they are not safe. Here is further info on forskolin:
http://www.drugs.com/npc/forskolin.html
http://examine.com/supplements/Coleus forskohlii/
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/forskolin-here-we-go-again/
Ok havnt opened them yet will live & learn! Have lost 10llb in 2 weeks through diet, my HbA1c was 63 & think doc is gonna see how my weight loss goes b4 putting me on tabs, do u think I can get away without tabs if I stick to my new way of eating, don't feel half as tired as I did few weeks ago.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok havnt opened them yet will live & learn! Have lost 10llb in 2 weeks through diet, my HbA1c was 63 & think doc is gonna see how my weight loss goes b4 putting me on tabs, do u think I can get away without tabs if I stick to my new way of eating, don't feel half as tired as I did few weeks ago.
Yes, I do think you can get away without needing to start the tabs if you stick to your new way of eating. If your HbA1c gets below 48, then I can't see why they should be prescribed for you at that point. I can't guarantee your doctor or nurse will understand, but if they insist on prescribing them, you don't have to take them.

Since you haven't opened the forskolin yet, you might be able to sell them on something like ebay? Not sure.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I do think you can get away without needing to start the tabs if you stick to your new way of eating. If your HbA1c gets below 48, then I can't see why they should be prescribed for you at that point. I can't guarantee your doctor or nurse will understand, but if they insist on prescribing them, you don't have to take them.

Since you haven't opened the forskolin yet, you might be able to sell them on something like ebay? Not sure.
Good idea will give it a try

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, excellent progress in such a short time with weight loss and I'm sure it will be reflected in your next HbA1c test if you are able to stick to LCHF life style. My HbA1c dropped from 64 to 45 in 3 months with diet and exercise and is now at 41 so within the 'normal' range. No need for medication. Sure you can do it too!