Is BG any indication that I am on the right track?

Carole12

Hi, I have been on a low carb /sugar for 2 months now and I have lost 5.5kg. My BG on waking is around 5.3 to 5.6mmol. I really thought I would try a slice of my home baked wholemeal bread (no sugar) at 45g. I was delighted to see my BG wasn’t nearly as high as it use to be after eating bread! It was 6.4mmol which shows that it is within a normal non diabetic range after meals. I won’t be going too mad but I did it just one more time and had a slice for breakfast with eggs and a tomato. The result was the same. Pre reading was 5.3 and after the breakfast it was 6.4mmol. Does this sound pretty good or am I doing a wishful thinking?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been on a low carb /sugar for 2 months now and I have lost 5.5kg. My BG on waking is around 5.3 to 5.6mmol. I really thought I would try a slice of my home baked wholemeal bread (no sugar) at 45g. I was delighted to see my BG wasn’t nearly as high as it use to be after eating bread! It was 6.4mmol which shows that it is within a normal non diabetic range after meals. I won’t be going too mad but I did it just one more time and had a slice for breakfast with eggs and a tomato. The result was the same. Pre reading was 5.3 and after the breakfast it was 6.4mmol. Does this sound pretty good or am I doing a wishful thinking?
Hard to say. The BG figures are fine. Bread is generally judged at being about 60% carb so you might have had ~30g? I certainly notice that carbs these days (maybe 60g/day rather than my usual 20g) affect BG less than they used to: maybe my insulin response has improved, maybe it's something else.

The real risk for me in noticing that, is starting to think that a corner's been turned and I can eat a few more carbs: that could be the case, but I'm not prepared to take the risk and undo progress to date. Carb creep, no thanks, I'm staying with what's worked so far.

That's my decision - you might come to a different one.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hard to say. The BG figures are fine. Bread is generally judged at being about 60% carb so you might have had ~30g? I certainly notice that carbs these days (maybe 60g/day rather than my usual 20g) affect BG less than they used to: maybe my insulin response has improved, maybe it's something else.

The real risk for me in noticing that, is starting to think that a corner's been turned and I can eat a few more carbs: that could be the case, but I'm not prepared to take the risk and undo progress to date. Carb creep, no thanks, I'm staying with what's worked so far.

That's my decision - you might come to a different one.
Thats actually very true, I wish I stuck to progress to date and not tested the waters...Takes a strong minded individual

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

Carole12

Thankyou……..I won’t be going mad that’s for sure….I got a shock on my last HbA1c…..but it was nice to know that a slice of wholemeal didn’t put me through the roof….I was just curious. Tonight it was plain old fillet steak and salad. ☺️