Is there a proper way to remove carbohydrates from meals

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On a positive note, most low carbers substitute something that's low carb for the thing that's high carb. At first it takes some time to read food carb listings or research online to find the low carb food you'd like to eat instead but then you can relax when shopping as you'll have checked out your usual foods so will only have to check packages for new foods. For me. I have a sandwich each weekend day with bread which is filling but also lower carb at 33.5g for two thick slices. It's wholemeal and high fibre so good for me too. This way, I don't feel deprived and look forward to my treat at the weekend.
Can I ask which bread you buy please?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker is the diet doctor bread any good? I think it is made from almond flour and Psyllium flour? Dietdoctor.com i haven't tried it yet!

Sent from my KFFOWI using DCUK Forum mobile app
I haven't tried it either... I just cut out bread completely and eat nicer things instead... don't miss it one bit.. bacon and eggs much better.

jonnymuesli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I researched this when I was diagnosed with T2. There doesn't seem to be any grain-based bread that even remotely qualifies as "low carb." The "whole-wheat" or "brown" breads seem to be no better than white bread in terms of carbs, although they may have other health benefits.

I reluctantly stopped eating normal bread and any other grain-based foods with the exception of a very small amount of home-made, sugar-free muesli (granola) -- two tablespoons -- with breakfast each morning. Even that is really high-carb (10 grams of that muesli is 8 grams of carbs!). I read an article in the New York Times a few months ago that said granola should really be marketed as a "dessert food" because it is so sugar/carb laden.

Then there is beer (which was once my favorite drink). It is truly "liquid bread." Avoid, except for an extra-special treat once a month or something.
I do generally have a one or two small slices of wholemeal bread a day normally with some scrambled eggs , i have got my reading down since being diagnosed in may where my HbA1C was 92 :-( to 52 in august so hopefully im on the right path , i know still lots of work to do and glad theres forums like this to help

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do generally have a one or two small slices of wholemeal bread a day normally with some scrambled eggs , i have got my reading down since being diagnosed in may where my HbA1C was 92 :-( to 52 in august so hopefully im on the right path , i know still lots of work to do and glad theres forums like this to help

Carbs in one slice of whole wheat bread: 12 grams. Up to you, but when I saw those sorts of numbers it seemed that eliminating bread made the "low carb" thing easier. Just sayin'....

Edited to add: Unlike @bulkbiker, I really miss bread. I was brought up in France and used to munch on baguettes all day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs in one slice of whole wheat bread: 12 grams. Up to you, but when I saw those sorts of numbers it seemed that eliminating bread made the "low carb" thing easier. Just sayin'....

Edited to add: Unlike @bulkbiker, I really miss bread. I was brought up in France and used to munch on baguettes all day.
Who doesn’t love a great bread. Just not the aftermath. Not worth it

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
We are not need potatoes we can life without it

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I lived in France for three years just before diagnosis.. baguettes and croissants every day I fear were a major contribution to my eventual diagnosis.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the answer to bread is to make Low Carb Bread, there are plenty of recipes on line. ust google lowcarb bread. Most recipes are about 4g Carbs per slice. However do not expect it to rise like normal bread as no yeast in this

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However do not expect it to rise like normal bread as no yeast in this

And there's the rub. Even if you can get used to the taste, which is sort-of-OK but considerably different to grain-based bread, it is also very hard to get it to rise properly. My daughter and I worked on this for several days, using various raising agents, but never got it to a point where we'd be happy eating it every day. That's when I gave up. Some time in the future, I'll give it another go.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
the answer to bread is to make Low Carb Bread, there are plenty of recipes on line. ust google low-carb bread. Most recipes are about 4g Carbs per slice. However do not expect it to rise like normal bread as no yeast in this
I do not know what it is but I have made bread and today I made biscuits with Almond flour and Coconut flour. I really do not like the sickly sweet after taste of the coconut and almonds. For some reason they make me feel sick. I made biscuits today (Yuk) they were awful. I used to love baking and dare I am a say a pretty good cook, but no way am I going to bother with pretend bread or biscuits again. I will stick to my half of protein Warburtons sandwich thin at 7 grams per slice now and then,sugar free jelly,berries and cream, oh and my sweet cinnamon cream egg bake.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Personally, when I left the bread I lowered my blood sugar level a lot

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not know what it is but I have made bread and today I made biscuits with Almond flour and Coconut flour. I really do not like the sickly sweet after taste of the coconut and almonds. For some reason they make me feel sick. I made biscuits today (Yuk) they were awful. I used to love baking and dare I am a say a pretty good cook, but no way am I going to bother with pretend bread or biscuits again. I will stick to my half of protein Warburtons sandwich thin at 7 grams per slice now and then,sugar free jelly,berries and cream, oh and my sweet cinnamon cream egg bake.
Coconut anything makes me nauseous. When I baked muffins and herb crackers I just used almond flour.
The crackers were almond flour, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 T water and herbs of choice and sea salt. They were easy and too delicious.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, when I left the bread I lowered my blood sugar level a lot
I love your attitude and determination! I’m the same way, if it doesn’t work I leave it. I love lettuce wraps and now prefer them over bread, buns etc. No love loss there for me.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coconut anything makes me nauseous. When I baked muffins and herb crackers I just used almond flour.
The crackers were almond flour, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 T water and herbs of choice and sea salt. They were easy and too delicious.
I will try those, as I do miss crackers. I have seen peeps make flaxseed crackers but not tried them. Just to let you know as promised I have bought another Advacado, not sure what I am going to do with it. If you remember I said I tried it and did not like it. Any suggestions Miss Advocado? ; )

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will try those, as I do miss crackers. I have seen peeps make flaxseed crackers but not tried them. Just to let you know as promised I have bought another Advacado, not sure what I am going to do with it. If you remember I said I tried it and did not like it. Any suggestions Miss Advocado? ; )
https://elanaspantry.com/herb-crackers/

There you go!

I just slice avo and sprinkle sea salt. Many like it with a lemon/lime squeeze. Or some hot sauce. Or cucumbers. Or basil. Or onion. Many make it into guacamole. ( too troublesome for me haha ) or smoothies. People like it with bacon chunks. Some like to top it with fried eggs. Some like chocolate pudding with it. Avo and choco and something else. I just lik eit with salt. If it’s brown or mushy it gets tossed. If it’s firm and yellow green I devour it. I’m super picky about its ripeness. And I can be as my meals are built around it.

Funny story. I’m on another forum about eating for your blood type. Mentioned avo for bf as a few were co plianing they are starving an hour after bf. They ALL had avo bf and cant believe how much better they feel.

I have a client that is not young and exhausted all the time. I told her skip the cereal and have avo bf. She called me two days later and said I changed her life. Of course there were other changes like skip the bread for sandwich lunch lunch and put the fillings on a plate ( she can’t digest lettuce ) with a wedge of avo or some veggies. Skip the potato with dinner and a wedge of avo and some veggies. Of course some protein with meals. She is amazed. Now she said she’s addicted haha.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
https://elanaspantry.com/herb-crackers/

There you go!

I just slice avo and sprinkle sea salt. Many like it with a lemon/lime squeeze. Or some hot sauce. Or cucumbers. Or basil. Or onion. Many make it into guacamole. ( too troublesome for me haha ) or smoothies. People like it with bacon chunks. Some like to top it with fried eggs. Some like chocolate pudding with it. Avo and choco and something else. I just lik eit with salt. If it’s brown or mushy it gets tossed. If it’s firm and yellow green I devour it. I’m super picky about its ripeness. And I can be as my meals are built around it.

Funny story. I’m on another forum about eating for your blood type. Mentioned avo for bf as a few were co plianing they are starving an hour after bf. They ALL had avo bf and cant believe how much better they feel.

I have a client that is not young and exhausted all the time. I told her skip the cereal and have avo bf. She called me two days later and said I changed her life. Of course there were other changes like skip the bread for sandwich lunch lunch and put the fillings on a plate ( she can’t digest lettuce ) with a wedge of avo or some veggies. Skip the potato with dinner and a wedge of avo and some veggies. Of course some protein with meals. She is amazed. Now she said she’s addicted haha.
Well you have given me some good options here will deffo try one of them and will let you know..I really want to like it because I know it is good for us. Thank you for the ideas Miss Advacodo lol x