1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

just diagnosed and confused

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by lez39, Sep 4, 2014.

1. dale1958

dale1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just worked out a normal days food intake before joining this forum average 300g + of carbs and that is conservative My surgery has a lot to answer for as it would seem a lot of surgeries do

2. dale1958

oh and also when I went to see the dietican and told her of my eating on atypical day she said that what I was eating meant the odd double bounty bar would not do me any harm if I only treated myself once or twice a week

3. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

With respect, your surgery can't be held accountable for your carb intake leading to diagnosis, or is that not what you're saying?

4. dale1958

this is since my diagnosis NOT before

5. Loobles

Loobles Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My dietician, who I actually think is very good and very research-based and a modern thinker also said the same. An odd chocolate bar is NOT going to be a problem, so long as it's not a frequent thing. The problem is when one choccy bar turns into two...and into 3 etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dale1958

i agree entirely, but when your hba1c is 111 you cut out all chocolate and sweets and increase carbs to compensate only to find 4 weeks later that it is higher, no explanation except "your Pancreas is probably packing up you made need insulin, but for now just double your meds from 2 to 4 Gliclazide a day, Had I started a low carb regime when tested at 111 I might not be having this conversation now, this forum was the 1st time I was ever aware of the impotence of carbs, enough moaning for now there are a lot worse situations around I will just have to get on with it now that I know

7. andy40

andy40 Other · Active Member

They told me mine was 45 and in the waiting room. today when they phoned because of all my new symptoms and loosing 3Kg in 2 montshand me thinking the diabetes had got worse, he said you never had it in june just a bit raised so next week got have extra blood test for all sorts one is thyroid and chest xray so god knows what he thinks it is now.

Starting to think none of them actually know what they are doing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

An HbA1c of 45 is not diabetic. It is pre-diabetic. Diabetes is diagnosed from 48 upwards.

9. andy40

andy40 Other · Active Member

I must have something else wrong then because i have lost 3Kg in 2 months starving hungry nearly all the time have thrush most weeks and eye site has gone downhill.

10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I hope you get it sorted soon.

11. Doris date

Doris date Type 2 · Newbie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook