ketones

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
So i've woken up this morning and 3mg of insuman basal solostar taken my bg which was at 5. After that i thought I'd take a reading of my keytones,which I very rarely do,and to my surprise it was at 0.3!!! should I be worried.My bgs,since diagnosed never go above 9 always in the 5s,have a few hypos a day.I thought that to produce keytones your bgs had to be high #confused

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look here for detailed information.

If your glucose level is normal and ketone levels are low, you don't have to worry. It's only when you have both high glucose and high ketone levels that this can result in ketoacidosis and it's time to take action.

Diabetics on a very low carb diet will regularly see (low levels of) ketones, and is quite natural and their bodies are burning fats instead of carbohydrates.

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I was reading about ketoacidosis the other day and came across this info, which you may find helpful:

"What should the ketone test results be?

• Under 0.6 mmol/L - a normal blood ketone value
  • 0.6 to 1.5 mmol/L - indicates that more ketones are being produced than normal, test again later to see if the value has lowered
  • 1.6 to 3.0 mmol/L - a high level of ketones and could present a risk of ketoacidosis. It is advisable to contact your healthcare team for advice.
  • Above 3.0 mmol/L - a dangerous level of ketones which will require immediate medical care."
Source: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

I have read T1s here say they test for ketones if their BG is above a certain point, 13 or 15 if my memory is correct. T1s will be able to clarify this for you.

Reactions: 4 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was reading about ketoacidosis the other day and came across this info, which you may find helpful:

"What should the ketone test results be?

• Under 0.6 mmol/L - a normal blood ketone value
  • 0.6 to 1.5 mmol/L - indicates that more ketones are being produced than normal, test again later to see if the value has lowered
  • 1.6 to 3.0 mmol/L - a high level of ketones and could present a risk of ketoacidosis. It is advisable to contact your healthcare team for advice.
  • Above 3.0 mmol/L - a dangerous level of ketones which will require immediate medical care."
Source: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

I have read T1s here say they test for ketones if their BG is above a certain point, 13 or 15 if my memory is correct. T1s will be able to clarify this for you.

ty for the info,my blood sugars have been great,since diagnosis my blood sugar don t go anywhere near 10

Reactions: 2 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have a look here for detailed information.

If your glucose level is normal and ketone levels are low, you don't have to worry. It's only when you have both high glucose and high ketone levels that this can result in ketoacidosis and it's time to take action.

Diabetics on a very low carb diet will regularly see (low levels of) ketones, and is quite natural and their bodies are burning fats instead of carbohydrates.

Robbity

I'm not on a low carb diet,have around 50-70 carbs during meals,I do alot of exercise so I like to get my carbs in,maybe I'm overexercising???

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You probably detected ketones because you tested first thing in the morning after your overnight fast.

It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I only test for ketones if my blood sugar is over 13 or I'm feeling ill.

Reactions: 6 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You probably detected ketones because you tested first thing in the morning after your overnight fast.

It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I only test for ketones if my blood sugar is over 13 or I'm feeling ill.

ty for that,worried about very little me :) thought you should test when sugars go high but mine haven t been that high since been omitted into hospital so ty so much for that :)

Reactions: 2 people