Late evening snacks

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you get a craving for a late night snack and if so what do you have ?
I know there are those that advocate to eat nothing after 7pm and I tend to stick to that but lately I have been wanting a snack late in the evening but am wary of eating something that will mess uo the following mornings reading.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt you'll find much that won't have some impact @Tony 1711 .

Not easy to do , trust me
But ignore IF you can.

And if you can't pick something low carb
Cheese wrapped in lettuce or slice of meat ?

I like to visualise such processes as it helps me try to understand the method & it's impact

I see the long fast overnight as allowing everything to 'settle' inside me

Akin to a small pond covered in algae.
I want that pond to be smooth to show me the real issues and how much algae there is

Eating anything disturbs the clouds the clarity of the pond & eating high carb must be like a speed boat churning it up

So it interferes with the next days reading
(Which isn't always linear, to be clear.
I've 'got' away with a naughty snack one night, only to find my good behaviour the next evening gave me a poor morning read)

Individuals, how we respond, how we feel, all of that impact us

My view, eat if you have to, with limits
But I've found if I don't eat I'm not so hungry ...
But if I do eat, it's like starting a machine, as if my body wakes up and want more of whatevers available.

So it can be a nuisance to give in.

Someone on here said, "if your hungry, try drinking a glass of water 'saluting the hunger'
They called it.
And wait

If you're still hungry 20 minutes later...eat something.

I found it worked, most times

Good luck finding a way that works for you .

Reactions: Tony 1711

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a small no carb snack at 10 every evening, I don’t do intermittent fasting at all I eat at 6am ish for breakfast, 12 for my lunch and around 6- 7 for my evening meal, my meals are not large. I have a long term eating disorder and that’s why I eat like I do. I also have insomnia and I am usually awake for a couple of hours from 3 am, if I don’t have the snack I find myself triggered to eat in my wakeful period.

I have maybe a hard boiled egg with a slice of cooked meat or a little bit of cheese. I sometimes have some cold veggies or a small salad with a blob of mayo - there is maybe 1 or 2 carbs in this. I actually found that my morning fasting numbers are lower when I’ve had the snack.

We are all different in the way we manage our diabetes for any number of different reasons it’s a way of life not a diet so we have to be able to stick with it very long term. If you fancy a small snack and you test and you are happy with your numbers and it keeps you on the “straight & narrow” (hate that terms but couldn’t think of another way to say it lol) then that’s what matters to you.

My advice - try, test & see repeat as necessary

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to skip breakfast, occasionally a couple of slices of wholemeal toast, lunch is normally a sandwich, cheese or cold meat and tea a salad with a meat of sime sort.
Last night however feeling hungry after tea I had a few crispbread with soft cheese, a few hours later my bg just before bed had spiked up tp 9.4 and I was expecting the worse this morning, but was very suprised when it was only 6.0.
Waiting for tonight and tomorrow to see if there has been any knock on effect.

• Informative

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I snack between meals all the time. Between 9 and 10 at night I often have a mug cake (various recipes on this forum). I try to avoid cheese last thing since I read it does something bad with toothpaste :yuck:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you experiencing hunger pangs or is it a case of hankering after something you probably shouldn't have? Only you know the answer.

If the former, I'd add more protein and/or fat to your evening meal rather than introduce a late night snack. Eating at bedtime wakes up your digestive system just as you need to wind down ready for sleep.

Btw, crispbreads are no more diabetic-friendly than bread. Both are mostly carbohydrate, so not particularly good choices for those of us coping with type 2 diabetes.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I eat a packet of twirl bites every evening.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whole almonds work well for me, now and then I go for cubed cheese. This week, I got a selection of air-dried salamis (French, Italian, Spanish) and cut a few slices of each when in a need of a snack