Late spike after eating?

S

serenity648

I have been doing some extra tests and seem to spike at around 1 1/2 hours after eating, and go back down around 3 hours after eating, instead of two hours after eating. Can this be right? do some people digest their food more slowly? or could I be misinterpreting the result?

eg. pre meal 5.7, after 1 1/2 hours 11, after three hours 6.8

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a spike!
I'm peak at around 3 hours. I am ultra low carb and very high fat. Moderate protein.
I would think it depends on the content in the meal as carbs will spike first but fat and protein will slow the spike
My protein will raise me very quickly too. This is where my avocado comes in. Keeps everything low and slow.

Wondering if you were even higher at the one hour?

What did you eat? Might be time to reconsider some of that meals

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have been doing some extra tests and seem to spike at around 1 1/2 hours after eating, and go back down around 3 hours after eating, instead of two hours after eating. Can this be right? do some people digest their food more slowly? or could I be misinterpreting the result?

eg. pre meal 5.7, after 1 1/2 hours 11, after three hours 6.8
I usually peak at 2 hours, that spike is a bit dramatic. You could be reacting to something ate. Some foods can react rapidly with some people.

S

serenity648

this seems to be a pattern, regardless of what, of my tried and tested meals, I eat.

S

serenity648

Quite a spike!
I'm peak at around 3 hours. I am ultra low carb and very high fat. Moderate protein.
I would think it depends on the content in the meal as carbs will spike first but fat and protein will slow the spike
My protein will raise me very quickly too. This is where my avocado comes in. Keeps everything low and slow.

Wondering if you were even higher at the one hour?

What did you eat? Might be time to reconsider some of that meals
Lunchtime it was chicken breast, green beans, cabbage and butter.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Loving your avatar @Kristin251
Haha. Switching it up a bit! Variety is the spice of life!!
Lunchtime it was chicken breast, green beans, cabbage and butter.
too lean for my bs. I need much more fat. And not all fat is created equal. Try some cheese with it? Avocado? This really Foods would immediately turn to glucose for me. When I was type 2 I had a meal of sashimi and some veggies. Popped way up and then dropped way down in an hour.
Saturated fat slows me a little more than oils, mayo or butter. They act like water. Nuts and avocado help slow me. Cheese as well. I do try to keep asturated fats low so that's why I use avocado. All the healthy fat and fiber.

Of course this is only what MY meter tells me. I also need to keep carbs very low until late afternoon or evening when I'm more insulin sensative

Do you like avocado? Any idea how many carbs you're eating?

S

serenity648

butter is a saturated fat.

I dont like advocado, and cant eat nuts.

what does 'this really Foods' mean?

I am just giving an example of my lunch, I dont know how long this spike timing has been happening. I only tried to do the 1 1/2 test a few days ago. Previously it had been two hours after, which gave a spike of around 9, and then it ocurred to me that maybe I drop back down slower, so thats when i started a three hour test.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
butter is a saturated fat.

I dont like advocado, and cant eat nuts.

what does 'this really Foods' mean?

I am just giving an example of my lunch, I dont know how long this spike timing has been happening. I only tried to do the 1 1/2 test a few days ago. Previously it had been two hours after, which gave a spike of around 9, and then it ocurred to me that maybe I drop back down slower, so thats when i started a three hour test.
I don't recall if you're on meds? If not then it seems as carbs need to be reduced it you want to stop the spikes. Veggie carbs can add up fast. How about lower carb ones like asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, small salad?
I know butter is a saturated fat but as stated it acts like water for me.
How do you do with things like flax or chia seeds for fiber ? I don't do well at all but some people do.
As a type 2 on no meds then the best way to reduce spikes is lowering carbs. Sad as it is. It does appear you were spiking higher before the two hour test and knowledge is power.

I look at it this way. Protein is our ground wire. We require a certain amount ( .8-1 g per kg LEAN body mass. Then we choose our fuel source. Carbs or fat. Obviously as a diabetic fats would probably be the best choice, especially as a type 2 without meds. So I guess you have to keep testing to find 'your carb tolerance'. Mine is minimal at best.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am obviously unable to explain what I am try to get at, so will give up.

Don't give up on your question @serenity648
So you mention that this is one of your tried and tested, does that mean that you have tested previously and it was fine.
It is a good point above about the protein carb mix. Those veg are (just estimating) going to be 4-8gs of carbs per 100g. So you could be eating 8g in veg. Then the protein in the chicken maybe. Any hidden things, fruit for desert?

Then what about other variables. Have you noticed it more when it is really hot are you hydrated?
Adding more VAT may help - I try and add some olive oil to my veg.

You asked specifically about patterns. I can only tell you that if I eat a meal like that of reasonable portions of veg (so a total carb of meal of 10g max). I can get a 1 - 1.5 rise in the first hour. This may start to decline after that or flatten, by the second hour I would expect to be well over the max of 1.6 max and then a slow fall. I do not return to normal for a good few hours but get a reasonably noticeable decline over 4 hours. I know this all because I use a Libre and I can see the graph retrospectively.

I hope that helps - do keep asking and don't be afraid to clarify. The peek seems to me to be a bit high.

S

serenity648

I think that peak is because, while I am still on antibiotics, my bloods in general are a bit high. I was using it as an example really.

OK. I think what I actually want to know is: do some people digest food more slowly, so they dont get back to normal levels for more than 2 hours after eating?

I peak at 1 1/2 hours and slowly get back to normal around the three hour mark. So my levels are always a bit higher at the two hour mark, leading me to think that maybe i digest more slowly? I am also a very slow eater. It takes me around 40 mins to eat meal, often more. I test from 2 hours after I start eating.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I do not return in two hours - it can take four and depends what else I am doing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@serenity648

We have 2 insulin responses. The first phase is pre-formed insulin from storage granules in the pancreas and is a large response that is intended to limit post meal rises and suppress any additional glucose production by the liver. It starts rapidly, within a few minutes of starting to eat and continues for about 15 minutes.

Then there is a second phase of newly made insulin, much smaller than the first, and that production continues until normal levels are reached.

In the example you gave after eating that lunch it looks like your first phase was insufficient and your second phase was slow. When I say insufficient, it could be that or it could be insulin resistance - sufficient insulin but rejected by the cells. But I am no doctor and am very often wrong.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046621.php

Other things can cause rises to be elongated, such as low GI foods and even fats binding (keeping levels lower but longer).

In T2s when carbs are also part of the meal, protein has very little effect on levels. Excess protein in the absence of carbs can do, but it takes a long time to break down so any bumps or spikes are likely to be hours later.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry if i misinterpreted what you were asking. I though you were just looking to see why you spikes so high so offered suggestions.

I misunderstood your question. Apologies.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I think that peak is because, while I am still on antibiotics, my bloods in general are a bit high. I was using it as an example really.

OK. I think what I actually want to know is: do some people digest food more slowly, so they dont get back to normal levels for more than 2 hours after eating?

I peak at 1 1/2 hours and slowly get back to normal around the three hour mark. So my levels are always a bit higher at the two hour mark, leading me to think that maybe i digest more slowly? I am also a very slow eater. It takes me around 40 mins to eat meal, often more. I test from 2 hours after I start eating.

Hi. I take the 2 hour post meal return to roughly premeal levels as an ideal..and maybe an average for most. Like you, my blood sugar drops back down between 2.5 and 3 hours (and this has been the case for quite some time)...I do not take any meds for my diabetes and I manage well on a low carb diet. I am seldom back down on 2 hours unless I am eating no carbs at all. I am pretty sure, whatever may be said, that this is down to my individual digestive system/blood system working..in effect.. more slowly than average. I used to have a very fast metabolism and so never had an issue with weight (and still don't) but I am on a range of other meds due to a transplant (which was not caused in any way by my diabetes...in fact i go that from post transplant steroid treatment). I totally get what you are saying. I am not particularly concerned if it takes a little longer for my blood sugar to drop back down again..it is seldom crazy high in between unless I have sneaked in more carbs than usual...and I do put it down to my own system.

S

serenity648

I'm sorry if i misinterpreted what you were asking. I though you were just looking to see why you spikes so high so offered suggestions.

I misunderstood your question. Apologies.
Please dont apologise. I dont think I have been expressing myself very well. Not your fault. Hugs