LCHF Diet now been put on Statin

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've not posted in a while, but thought I'd ask how it was going for people put on Statins.

I've been managing to keep my blood sugars roughly under control but as expected my cholesterol has gone up (and I wish I'd taken down the readings at my diabetic check-up the other day). But as a result my doctor suggested that I ought to be put on statins because as a diabetic it was bad to have high cholesterol. My blood pressure as an aside was normal, whatever that is.

So as I asked if I could choose the statins and I asked for Pravastatin, as I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a side affect of this statin was to reduce blood sugars. So if they were all much muchness then I'd go for this one, which my doctor had no issue with prescribing,

I picked them up from the chemist today and was just wondering about any other side affects before I trash my christmas... As in I might wait until the new year to start them say around Jan 3rd.

Any comments folks?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too would do everything under the sun to avoid statins. What PART of your cholesterol is high? Was it fasting?

many of us have luck reducing saturated fats and DAIRY. I eat more mono fats like avocado, olive oil, fatty fish and some nuts and seeds and only eat dairy very rarely, lean cuts of meats, no greasy bacon, rarely butter or ghee. This brought my cholesterol right down.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was put on statins initially by my previous GP who thoughts meds were answer to evertyhing. Thankfully my cholesterol has come down on LCHF. I just decided to stop taking the statins in August based on all the negative views read (and some gentle persuasion by some friends on here!), need to go for a review soon so will have to tell the Doc ... ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You really need to get your test results from the surgery - the breakdown of triglycerides, hdl and ldl.

You could ring up and ask, or request a printout, or sign up for online patient access to your records (if you are in England). Try and get your last test results too, for comparison. :)

Once you have that knowledge, and had read the leaflet inside the statins box to know the possible side effects, then you will be able to make an informed decision.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My LDL cholesterol and triglycides have both gone down on a high fat diet and my total cholesterol also reduced - figures below.

My number have also gone down both triglycerides and the two types of cholesterol to a total of 4.1 .... But I have been wondering if it is mostly due to not eating much carbs and combined with very low calories

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My number have also gone down both triglycerides and the two types of cholesterol to a total of 4.1 .... But I have been wondering if it is mostly due to not eating much carbs and combined with very low calories
I have read research that links lowering cholesterol to a higher fat diet , though I think that research also suggested that a low calorie diet would do the same thing

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read research that links lowering cholesterol to a higher fat diet , though I think that research also suggested that a low calorie diet would do the same thing

Yes we'll find out for sure when we later on will have to go higher calories again

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@wookie101

as @Brunneria said, you need to know the numbers of all the lipids and triglycerides before you make a decision as to whether you want to take statins or not. You need the HDL, LDL, triglycerides as well as the total. Ask reception for a print out, or register for Patient Access (in England). At the VERY least, ring up and ask what they were.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My cholesterol has been good for some years and I'd like to think most of my life. However my only concern is heart health. I'm doing to be asking my new cardiologist what statins do for heart health other than lowering cholesterol! If more benefits than just reducing my goid level I may consider taking them. I want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Reactions: noblehead

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My cardiovascular surgeon insists I should take them I'm not so sure. So I'm not taking them at the moment but am wavering it's the fear of what might happen if I don't versus what may happen if I do. I don't know what to think sometimes.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi All,

I've not posted in a while, but thought I'd ask how it was going for people put on Statins.

I've been managing to keep my blood sugars roughly under control but as expected my cholesterol has gone up (and I wish I'd taken down the readings at my diabetic check-up the other day). But as a result my doctor suggested that I ought to be put on statins because as a diabetic it was bad to have high cholesterol. My blood pressure as an aside was normal, whatever that is.

So as I asked if I could choose the statins and I asked for Pravastatin, as I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a side affect of this statin was to reduce blood sugars. So if they were all much muchness then I'd go for this one, which my doctor had no issue with prescribing,

I picked them up from the chemist today and was just wondering about any other side affects before I trash my christmas... As in I might wait until the new year to start them say around Jan 3rd.

Any comments folks?
I am going in the opposite direction. I had a blood test recently and my total cholesterol was higher at 5.8, but, having researched this a great deal, I was actually pleased with that result. In fact it was just what I had hoped for as a result of my LCHF diet. I believe a level between 5 and 6 will result in me living longer and decreasing dementia risk. But that is my decision, based on my research, I cannot advise you except to look at all the advice in these forums and on the diet doctor website.
So, I am now taking greatly reduced statins and hope to keep the doctor under control when I next see him. Statins slow down the production of cholesterol, which seems to me an undesirable action as cholesterol has great benefits to the body.
Another beneficial side effect of the LCHF is that my HDL was significantly higher at 1.7 and my important TC/HDL was down to 3.4. As far as I am concerned, I now have perfect HbA1c and blood lipids numbers and nothing would convince me to quit LCHF or go back onto high statins.
I am now interested in whether continuing taking a low dose of statins, say 10mg/day, may be of benefit - I have a lot more research to do. One important aspect for me is that I suffer no direct side-effects like bowel problems and muscle pains as so many others do. It is the more indirect actions I am concerned about.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going in the opposite direction. I had a blood test recently and my total cholesterol was higher at 5.8, but, having researched this a great deal, I was actually pleased with that result. In fact it was just what I had hoped for as a result of my LCHF diet. I believe a level between 5 and 6 will result in me living longer and decreasing dementia risk. But that is my decision, based on my research, I cannot advise you except to look at all the advice in these forums and on the diet doctor website.
So, I am now taking greatly reduced statins and hope to keep the doctor under control when I next see him. Statins slow down the production of cholesterol, which seems to me an undesirable action as cholesterol has great benefits to the body.
Another beneficial side effect of the LCHF is that my HDL was significantly higher at 1.7 and my important TC/HDL was down to 3.4. As far as I am concerned, I now have perfect HbA1c and blood lipids numbers and nothing would convince me to quit LCHF or go back onto high statins.
I am now interested in whether continuing taking a low dose of statins, say 10mg/day, may be of benefit - I have a lot more research to do. One important aspect for me is that I suffer no direct side-effects like bowel problems and muscle pains as so many others do. It is the more indirect actions I am concerned about.
Interested to hear what you think the benefits of a low dose are? Personally I can't think of any circumstance in which I would take them. Genuine question.. if you are happy with your cholesterol why do you wish to reduce it?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Atorvastatin, and after a few weeks I tried to learn a new song for the folk club - I could not - and then I lost the car in the supermarket carpark - when I found it the back was full of shopping I had forgotten about - some of it spoilt. I stopped taking it, and after a few days I could sing the song - but I have forgotten the answer to one of the security questions for an account - the name of one of my schools - so as my brain is mostly cholesterol, I think I will resist taking something which reduces it. There is also the rather disconcerting evidence that lower levels of cholesterol increase mortality - not decrease it. The numbers are from the World Health Organisation website - deaths from heart attack and strokes are higher in places where cholesterol is lowest.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My cardiovascular surgeon insists I should take them I'm not so sure. So I'm not taking them at the moment but am wavering it's the fear of what might happen if I don't versus what may happen if I do. I don't know what to think sometimes.
My partner is on them John because he have a family history of high cholesterol and early death. Some people benefit.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Interested to hear what you think the benefits of a low dose are? Personally I can't think of any circumstance in which I would take them. Genuine question.. if you are happy with your cholesterol why do you wish to reduce it?
Well, I reduced from 40 to 10mg without asking the doctor and my numbers are now good. The last step will need negotiation between me and my wife (who will listen to the doctor). I do have a strong family history of heart disease (my Dad and his brother and 2 sisters all died before 68 from it). I do believe there are established benefits of statins to people who already have heart disease and I have heard of other beneficial side-effects, although that is hearsay. So I am trying to keep an open mind and listen to advice. I have no adverse side effects and everything is OK at the moment, so I have time to investigate.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has info on other benefits besides that referenced above.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
@wookie101

as @Brunneria said, you need to know the numbers of all the lipids and triglycerides before you make a decision as to whether you want to take statins or not. You need the HDL, LDL, triglycerides as well as the total. Ask reception for a print out, or register for Patient Access (in England). At the VERY least, ring up and ask what they were.
I see that the latest advice is that triglycerides are the most important number as they have a direct relationship with small dense LDL, which is thought to be the main bad guy. You won't get the triglyceride number unless you tell the doctor and get a fasting blood test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that in addition to lowering cholesterol statins make the arteries more flexible to keep the blood flowing, BUT a low dose aspirin does the same job as regards keeping the blood flowing. My cholesterol is fine and normal, so I take a 75 aspirin.