Less energy - Type 1

IanO1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all since being diagnosed with type 1and starting insulin I seem to have less energy than I had before, I used to train and run every other day and do the jobs around the house with no problems, I just have no enthusiasm. Anyone else experienced this when starting out?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome @IanO1967 :)

It can take a while to get back to normal after being diagnosed with type 1, although I felt great after starting on insulin it did take me several weeks to fully recover from the ordeal.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @IanO1967 . After being diagnosed and starting insulin many years ago I felt almost super human for a good few months.
Sorry that's not what you need to hear but hopefully your energy levels will return 2 fold very soon.
If you're still struggling visit your GP for some tests. 3/4 yrs after my diagnosis I started to struggle and found my diabetes had led to an under active thyroid problem.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ian and welcome, I feel the same, after more than a year of the diagnosis.
As some other friendly members on the forum said to me it could be a lot of things, maybe it's better to talk to the GP and make some specific tests.

Having to cope with diabetes it's an anvil falling on your head and this could make you tired alone, but other physical conditions could make you tired.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all know having highs and lows can be draining, assume your levels are pretty much in normal range?

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi Ian,
sort of new to all of this, only 6 weeks diagnosed, but from what I've read range of 5-9 is pretty good. It may of been that your body was used to higher levels and just needs to adjust to the changes, as said not an expert but I'm sure others will advise you better. if concerned speak to GP or Diabetic Nurse for advise. Good luck.
Maggie