Type 1 Libre 3

hengeman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Well I'm hoping you all got the generic email from Abbotts confirming the alarm issue with Libre 2 app on Android with OS version 13. If not then it basically admits there is a fault and they are working on it, see attached. To be continued.
As for Libre 3, I called Abbotts and they confirmed there is no way (yet) to change to custom sounds and volume. They did point out that it isn't available on prescription or via their web site, only hospital, so I'm guessing it's still Beta phase ish. They told me to keep app up to date and check play store for news and eventually it will happen. Seems daft releasing it at all without this basic option (as per Libre 2 app) but there you go. Will put up with the unnerving sound for now and wait patiently.

Attachments

• Gmail - Important_ Potential Extended Periods of Signal Loss on FreeStyle Libre System.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 165

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As for Libre 3, I called Abbotts and they confirmed there is no way (yet) to change to custom sounds and volume. They did point out that it isn't available on prescription or via their web site, only hospital, so I'm guessing it's still Beta phase ish.
I'm not sure this is a valid reason on their part.

I'm in Germany and Libre 3 is available on prescription here (all FreeStyle Libre users were moved to Libre 3 in 2022), but I wasn't able to change the Libre 3 app's alarms' sounds and volumes at all.

At least in Germany we were all sent a FSL3 reader with our first batch of sensors, so we've got a workaround and have a way to avoid the app alarm situation.

Reactions: hengeman

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Well I'm hoping you all got the generic email from Abbotts confirming the alarm issue with Libre 2 app on Android with OS version 13. If not then it basically admits there is a fault and they are working on it, see attached. To be continued.
As for Libre 3, I called Abbotts and they confirmed there is no way (yet) to change to custom sounds and volume. They did point out that it isn't available on prescription or via their web site, only hospital, so I'm guessing it's still Beta phase ish. They told me to keep app up to date and check play store for news and eventually it will happen. Seems daft releasing it at all without this basic option (as per Libre 2 app) but there you go. Will put up with the unnerving sound for now and wait patiently.
They have bought themselves some time by issuing a belated statement (although I heard there have been a significant number of patient complaints filed with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency over the last few months).

They've known for months now that Android OS 13 was going to be released by Google last year.

Android OS 14 is due to be released in 2023.

It's Abbotts' responsibility to ensure that their app is fully compatible with Android OS. Every app on an Android phone has to do so.

How long is it going to take them to fix this?

I wonder if Dexcom are having identical problems with Android OS 13?

hengeman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I trialled it via local hospital and all was well aside from the ability to set custom alert sounds and volume like you can with libre 2. The default choices are no good meaning if it goes off in the middle of the night it's nerve shredding and not suitable for train or meetings or library! The auto scanning without having to actually scan is great but i've gone back to 2 for now until they've sorted the sounds. Unsure if and when that happens as not using so I don't know. I trialled in Feb.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I trialled it via local hospital and all was well aside from the ability to set custom alert sounds and volume like you can with libre 2. The default choices are no good meaning if it goes off in the middle of the night it's nerve shredding and not suitable for train or meetings or library! The auto scanning without having to actually scan is great but i've gone back to 2 for now until they've sorted the sounds. Unsure if and when that happens as not using so I don't know. I trialled in Feb.
Were your local people going to supply it under prescription or as part of a pump regime?

As I understand it, it cannot be prescribed by a GP yet (if ever). I have been pressuring my MP to get an explanation for this anomally, and ideally get the rule changed. So far 'pushing graby up hill' springs to mind:(.

Carl W

Any UK peeps on libre 3 via nhs yet?

Been using it since October last year, ( not on prescription) I’m using it on iOS system and at the moment, there’s only 2 tones to choose, normal text tone or the one that gives you a scare early hours of the morning haha…. But seriously it’s smaller than the L2, and no need to scan as it’s a continuous feed which makes things a lot easier. Hopefully they’ll come out with an NHS prescription soon for it.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I trialled last year via the hospital. And loved it. Had no trouble with alerts or sounds. Personally I think the alerts should be up front and loud. Have my 2 set like that now. It’s a medical device alerting you to a medical issue. I want it to wake me immediately. And I am sorry but I don’t care if it disturbs others. It can be dealt with quickly and as I said, it isn’t for social purposes, it’s a medical alert. .

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were your local people going to supply it under prescription or as part of a pump regime?

As I understand it, it cannot be prescribed by a GP yet (if ever). I have been pressuring my MP to get an explanation for this anomally, and ideally get the rule changed. So far 'pushing graby up hill' springs to mind:(.
Hello barrym

The NHS England diabetes co-lead Partha Kar tweeted last week, suggesting that Abbott had not made a formal application for the Libre 3 to go on prescription in England. He did not explain why not.

As he is the one negotiating with Abbott about NHS England pricing, etc of the Libre family of products, I suspect (apart from Abbott) only Prof Kar (and whomever is the other NHS England diabetes co-lead) actually know what's really going on.

I know that Dexcom and Abbott are suing each other for patent infringement of the technology in their respective glucose monitoring products in the US, the UK and Germany. Unless the litigation is settled, the UK High Court should issue first instance decisions on the UK litigation at some point this year (of course there is always the possibility of appeals). The litigation might have affected the wider availability of the Libre 3.

There have also been reports of users of the Libre 3 having difficulties getting hold of the product in Germany (and the US?). The reports suggest supply issues.

Abbott are building factories in Ireland to increase manufacturing capacity of the Libre 3 (which is ironic as I believe the Libre 1 was born originally in Abbott's facility in Oxford).

If your MP is able to shed any light on what is actually going on, that would much be appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hopeful34

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
<snip>

If your MP is able to shed any light on what is actually going on, that would much be appreciated.

I will certainly report back if I hear anything.

What prompted my letter was that a) my Endo (who knows Prof Kar) said I should as she couldn't (or wouldn't) explain the reason, and b) a user here had reported that they had been 'upgraded' from L2 to L3 as if it were routine. I just wanted an explanation that either corrected the anomaly or changed the advice to local HCPs.

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will certainly report back if I hear anything.

What prompted my letter was that a) my Endo (who knows Prof Kar) said I should as she couldn't (or wouldn't) explain the reason, and b) a user here had reported that they had been 'upgraded' from L2 to L3 as if it were routine. I just wanted an explanation that either corrected the anomaly or changed the advice to local HCPs.
I agree, the failure to be transparent and explain - to adult diabetics who pay into the system like everyone else - what is going on with the implementation in England of the Libre 3 has become really annoying, bordering on patronising.

I remember a tweet from Prof Kar when the Libre 2 was being rolled out in England (2 years ago now?) which suggested that eventually those on the Libre 2 (who wanted to) would get access to the Libre 3. Of course, something may have happened in the interim to change (or delay) that, but they could at least be up front and tell us as much as they can about what's going on.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using it since October last year, ( not on prescription) I’m using it on iOS system and at the moment, there’s only 2 tones to choose, normal text tone or the one that gives you a scare early hours of the morning haha…. But seriously it’s smaller than the L2, and no need to scan as it’s a continuous feed which makes things a lot easier. Hopefully they’ll come out with an NHS prescription soon for it.
So, where can you purchase in the UK?

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I trialled last year via the hospital. And loved it. Had no trouble with alerts or sounds. Personally I think the alerts should be up front and loud. Have my 2 set like that now. It’s a medical device alerting you to a medical issue. I want it to wake me immediately. And I am sorry but I don’t care if it disturbs others. It can be dealt with quickly and as I said, it isn’t for social purposes, it’s a medical alert. .
Hi becca59

I must take issue with you on a few points you make about alerts.

Yes, if one is retired or of working age and one works in an environment where noise isn't an issue, then absolutely the alarms should be as loud as a user wants.

Unfortunately, in the 21st century there are still work environments where audible and unwanted noise is unwelcome by some people. A courtroom is one such environment. I am now old enough to have witnessed judges (and other officials charged with making interim or final decisions after being presented with evidence and arguments) make the wrong decision (thankfully only during a preliminary step in proceedings, not the final proceedings) simply because one or other of the parties or their representatives made a noise which upset the judge. It shouldn't happen, but I'm afraid judges are only human and imperfect too.

I know that pre being diabetic as a student I would have been extremely upset if during an exam alarms or beeping of any kind would have eminated from one of my fellow students. To be fair to all examinees written exams demand absolute silence.

Thankfully arrangements are usually made so that diabetic students who use cgms sit in rooms by themselves so only they and the invigilators are disturbed by any cgm alarms going off.

I can imagine if one is an actor and performing on stage, one won't take too kindly to an audible continuous cgm alarm going off in the audience when one is trying to give one's definitive Hamlet, King Lear, etc.

I understand the Dexcom G7 (Dexcom's direct competing product to Abbot's Freestyle Libre 3) has a "quiet mode" (vibrate) feature. When G7's "quiet mode" is enabled, all alerts which the G7 produces will vibrate (and most diabetics of working age havin't lost all touch sensitivity that they cannot feel a smartphone or dedicated control device vibrate).

I understand that the Dexcom G7 also has an "urgent low soon" alert and technical alerts, all of which initially vibrate, but which will if not acknowledged proceed to escalate with sound.

In my opinion, Dexcom G7 is a far more thoughtful way of giving everyone what they need in terms of alerts. Dexcom seem to have really considered the real world circumstances in which most diabetics live, work and play.

The US medical devices regulator, the Food and Drug Administration seem to think so too as they have approved the G7 for use by US diabetics. As has the UK medical devices regulator, the MHRA.

Anyone who has used the Dexcom G7, please tell me if the above alert features are incorrect.

Unless there is some form of competitor's intellectual property stopping them, the Libre 3 really doesn't need to be so inflexible in terms of its alerts.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BadaBing as Diabetes is counted as a disability, it is common for people with diabetes to take their exams in a separate room. Not only could teh alerts be distracting for the other students but someone with Type 1 will be given extra time if they have to treat a hypo ... and more.

As for your judge or actor, I am sure they would be far more distracted if someone in their court experienced a hypo.
I am sure we all do our best to minimise alerts but they are there for a reason.
If the hypo (or forthcoming hypo) is treated as soon as the alert goes off, it is not continuous. Mine is a single beep which is enough to attract my attention and I cancel it immediately.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Android phones needs to have ios 13 plus I believe (for libre 2 anyway)
I recently got a new used Android phone running OS 12 & my 2 previous devices running earlier OS had no issue with the L2.
Builder’s dust ingress on the other hand, killed the first one.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4 packs of libre 3 sensors have been sold on ebay for £350!
Sounds like they are not readily available to me.