Type 1 Libre 3

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre 3 app is very similar to the Libre 2 app, but the alarms are not changeable in Libre 3 - not the sound and not the volume.

I tried looking for this file for the Libre 3 app and couldn't get it changed. If anyone has done this in Libre 3 (Android), I would love to know how to change the alarm sounds.

Right now, I've got the alarms switched off because they wreak havoc on my nerves when they go off. I just keep a closer eye on my readings which is easy to do since the app changes in real time (the Libre 3 reader requires you to change screens to get an updated reading).
From the Files app look for Audio. It's the top 3 on mine.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you confirm that there is a reader available for FSL 3? I was under the impression that it could only be used with a phone, and this rather worried me as I seldom carry a phone and just use the reader which I carry in my shirt pocket with my FSL 2.
There is a reader for FreeStyle Libre 3. The FSL 3 reader looks exactly like the FSL 2 reader, but the FSL 3 reader is grey.

I'm in Germany and the FSL 3 sensor was app-only at first (initially iOS-only, then also Android), and the reader was released earlier this year.

From what I understand, the FSL 3 reader isn't available yet in the UK, but I expect it will be eventually. They can't expect everyone to have a compatible phone.

• Informative
Reactions: miahara and Antje77

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah. I've found these files and tried changing them, but it didn't change the alarms.

It's possible that because I have both FSL 2 and 3 apps, the files I changed were for FSL 2. Maybe FSL 3 is set up differently and doesn't expose the audio files.

When I plugged my phone into the computer to search for the files, I found nothing specific to FSL 3.

sandyw

I was appalled by the inaccuracy of the original Libre and eventually gave it up. I would not go for a newer version unless I could be shown it really was worth it.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah. I've found these files and tried changing them, but it didn't change the alarms.

It's possible that because I have both FSL 2 and 3 apps, the files I changed were for FSL 2. Maybe FSL 3 is set up differently and doesn't expose the audio files.

When I plugged my phone into the computer to search for the files, I found nothing specific to FSL 3.
Hmm, that's annoying. That view from Files is a list of all audio files, so it would seem from your findings that they aren't using standard file name or formats.

Why do 'reputable' developers have to do non standard things?

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
I ordered a Google phone, may have been the 3 ..had to return it, as the NFC wouldn't read my Abbott sensor ..not sure if the new models now work? I switched to a Samsung galaxy s20 phone, which I have kept and has been reliable ever since, only use this as a reader, hope that helps.
Samsung A12 is too

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre 3 in the UK.
Has anyone been switched over from L2?
Which system are new patients being put onto?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Zinadane as far as I’m aware at the moment it is only for specific people. To be fair I loved the 3 when I got my freebie following the trial I did and would have it like a shot. However I am aware there are still many people struggling to get a 2. And would feel a little guilty about getting it at the moment.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the look of the L3, so small and slimline.
Not sure what the official state is regards rollout.
I'm currently on L2, but after a recent review they are requesting a switch to Dexcom 1.
Tbh, I would rather stay on L2 in that case .
L2 with xdrip works great giving me cgm.

Reactions: oldgreymare

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 3 is not just very small, it is so light that you forget you have it on. I missed the rolling TIR but loved that you didn’t have to scan. I also found it very accurate. But to be fair 2 is very accurate for me also. I very rarely test bloods, and when I do they are pretty much bang on the same.

banita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, have been on libre 2 for less than a month, and because of my type of work I’ve been offered the libre 3, is anyone else using the 3 at the moment? I’ve heard it’s better and smaller than the 2, but it’s needs android phone to use at the moment.
Hi...I have used the libre for a few years now.The new libre 3 is quite a bit smaller .I don't use the app on my smartphone .The reader works best for me.At times I get a message telling me that there is no connection.Bluetooth not doing it's thing! I have been a Type 1 for 46 years and am now in my seventies. So lots of experience! The app is a personal choice and very useful for youngsters as parents can help with the management of the diabetes.I myself do not want the app on my phone, but it's just my personal choice.Altogether the Freestyle Libre 3 is working okay for me .As we live outside the UK but are NHs funded the costs are covered.Due to being a UK citizen and fully paid up with the system etc.it works.There are always improvements that can be made.I say try and be positive and look after yourself.

banita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope that we won’t be forced to buy smartphones just to get blood sugars results ?
I have an old Nokia for telephoning and texts, I can’t afford to buy a newish smartphone.
The Freestyle Libre 3 reader can work without a phone . You can do blood tests as well as having your interstercial sugar levels on your reader.

banita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you confirm that there is a reader available for FSL 3? I was under the impression that it could only be used with a phone, and this rather worried me as I seldom carry a phone and just use the reader which I carry in my shirt pocket with my FSL 2.
The FSL3 is delivered with a reader.With this reader there is no need to scan the sensor, just keep it near you and it gives you the reading.Unlike with the FSL2 when the new sensor is attached the reader needs to touch the sensor for activation.After that no need for scanning anymore.I hope that helps.Abbotts do rather want people to use the app but there is no need.

hengeman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi barrym,

I recently transferred to my first libre 3 sensor having found intermittent alarm failure on libre 2. I have a Samsung galaxy S22 on android 13. As you say the custom alarm is greyed out and can't be changed, I did some googling and found your post which prompted me to have a look myself and I thought I’d found the answer.

However after trying the below somehow it still plays the annoying sound which means it must be embedded in the app! I’m hoping after clearing cache it may start working in time but for now no joy. My steps are below in case you wanted to try too.

My 3 notifications are located in My files > Internal storage > Notifications as mp3 files called 'Freestyle Libre....' for low, high and signal loss. 
I found some softer mp3 alert sounds on the internet and download them. 
Then navigate to the freestyle mp3 files and press and hold on one of them, select more option and then rename. Copy the name of the file and then cancel. Navigate to your downloaded files and do the same only this time paste the freestyle name to replace the name of your downloaded file. Then press on the file again, click on move and navigate to where your freestyle sounds are, move to there and it will prompt you to replace overwriting the original file. Repeat for each file.
Finally quit your libre 3 app, clear cache and reopen.

Hasn’t worked for me yet but logic dictates it should as there are no other sound files on the phone for freestyle!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Still no joy with this, going to go to Abbotts support.
Hmm, good luck with Abbott support!

I'm certainly puzzled by the results you're getting. Might be worth 'force closing' the app, or just reboot the phone.

hengeman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Barrym.

Found it!
Hold down on app icon until you get pop up menu and press information i.
Go into notifications then notification categories. Tap high or low alarm wording. Then tap sound where you can select a custom sound. You can also change sound volume at top.
Hope that works for you.

Reactions: EllieM and barrym

hengeman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done - persistence pays off.
Well yes but bizarrely it's still giving me the same annoying sound and volume! Unbelievable. It must be embedded in the app. Thought this was definitely going to crack it. Weird. Oh well.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yes but bizarrely it's still giving me the same annoying sound and volume! Unbelievable. It must be embedded in the app. Thought this was definitely going to crack it. Weird. Oh well.
This was what I found too. No matter what settings I tried changing, the annoying alarms stayed the same.

I haven't used the app since November purely because of the alarm sounds. When I did use the app, I turned off all alarms after realising how bad the alarm sounds were.

I switched to the FSL 3 reader after just one sensor with the app. Hopefully they release the reader in the UK so UK users have an alternative to the app. I'm in Germany and they shipped a reader with my first batch of FSL 3 sensors like they did for FSL 2.

Reactions: EllieM and hengeman