Libre CON.

umabell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals and children.
Bought the Libre monitor. Starter kit in preparation for my holiday in September and again in October. Yup bit OCD when I started insulin a couple of months ago. I have only just found out that there are expiration dates on the monitors!! Mine says 30th September 2017! Tried to exchange for a later date one and was turned down. Even when I said that there are NO references to expiry dates on their website! Has anyone else been caught out like this? I really just want to use it during holidays abroad. I only wanted an exchange not a refund! Small claims court worthwhile?

Reactions: Stephen_T

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There ate short expiries on pretty much all sensors, you cant really bulk buy and store them.

You could try small claims court if you want to, I wouldnt. I would set up the initial one so that the first 24 hour when you go on hols etc isnt waated and make sure you "staple" the next one in 24hr pre the old one ending.. and start to feel confortable with it pre holiday. Stand better chance pre hol trial and getting insulin etc /foods sorted before you go than faffing around on hols...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @umabell - personally when it comes down to expiry dates in regards to my type 1 the only product I pay any attention to is the dates for my insulin, I don't pay any attention to dates on test strips/sensors, rightly or wrongly I don't know but I wouldn't be too bothered about a sensor expiry date that's only out by a month or so, it's there to protect Abbott if there's come back on the sensor, so I doubt there will be an issue in using it. I would suggest for your hols to have a large plaster to cover the sensor, due to the extra bathing/water/activity it's best to make sure it is well and truly stuck on :)

Stephen_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
fake sugar
Bought the Libre monitor. Starter kit in preparation for my holiday in September and again in October. Yup bit OCD when I started insulin a couple of months ago. I have only just found out that there are expiration dates on the monitors!! Mine says 30th September 2017! Tried to exchange for a later date one and was turned down. Even when I said that there are NO references to expiry dates on their website! Has anyone else been caught out like this? I really just want to use it during holidays abroad. I only wanted an exchange not a refund! Small claims court worthwhile?
Perhaps Abbot will explain why you can buy up to 10 sensors with an expiry date in 4 weeks when you would get 20 weeks if used as directed? It is bad form of Abbot not to offer an exchange, doesn't create trust.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Perhaps Abbot will explain why you can buy up to 10 sensors with an expiry date in 4 weeks when you would get 20 weeks if used as directed? It is bad form of Abbot not to offer an exchange, doesn't create trust.

That is a very good point if recently bought and that should be reported to MHRA