Libre Sensors

tubamanandy

How often do these sensors record readings and is it different during the night ?

I'm new to these things and only 3 days in but I am aware they store readings for a max of 8 hrs - I only use the sensor with a mobile phone appln by the way which works fine for me.

I took a sensor reading at 0132 early this morning and again at 0830 this morning (approx 7 hrs) yet I cannot see any readings between these times in my application `Logbook` ?? However, when I look at the graphs during the night it clearly is taking reading.

I think I may have answered my own question in that maybe the Logbook is only your manual readings ?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I would guess that from a computing hardware point of view there is only enough memory to record 8 hours worth of data ( which could presumably be stretched by reducing the frequency of recording).

So after 8 hours the oldest reading gets over written by the newest.

So if you read the meter every 4 hours you get 50% duplicate readings. Not a problem for decent software. Your long term records should show no gaps.
If you read the meter every 10 hours you get a 2 hour gap between sets of 8 hour readings.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I may have answered my own question in that maybe the Logbook is only your manual readings ?
The logbook stores the number displayed every time you scan the sensor. However, the graph line should show where you've 'been', regardless of when you last scanned (as long as you don't leave more than 8 hours between scans). An actual number is not stored in the logbook unless you've scanned.

:)

D

Deleted Account

Regardless of what you do, once it is attached to your arm, the way you the Libre works is to take a reading every 15 minutes (I think). The results of this reading are stored on the sensor. As @LittleGreyCat mentioned, the sensor has enough memory to store 8 hours of data. After 8 hours, the oldest data is overwritten.

When you scan the sensor, it does not take a reading: it downloads the last 8 hours of results to your reader, tells you in big numbers, the value of the last reading it took and updates the graphs to contain the last eight hours.

Due to this method of working
- if you scan less often than 8 hours, you will lose data
- if you scan more often than 10 minutes, you probably won't get new data

I would emphasise that the value of the Libre is not in the big "latest reading" number.
It is in those graphs, the history and the trend.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Diasend app on conjunction with LibreLink which gives an ability to browse the graph seeing every value taken. You can get the same info by downloading the BG from LibreView but it's not as quick/easy.

tubamanandy

The logbook stores the number displayed every time you scan the sensor. However, the graph line should show where you've 'been', regardless of when you last scanned (as long as you don't leave more than 8 hours between scans). An actual number is not stored in the logbook unless you've scanned.

:)

Thanks for that, it's what I guessed

Reactions: Snapsy