Type 2 Lidl low GI Bread

Carousel3

I was recommended LIDL low GI bread by a friend who said they had been told that it was far superior to any other
for Diabetics. Anyone else heard this or even tried this?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, can you ask your friend what the carbohydrate content is per 100g or per slice? What type of diabetes was your friend referring to?

Reactions: Bea56 and missnic

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There used to be Lidl High Protein rolls which were low carb and the mainstay for many on here. Unfortunately they were discontinued, at least in the UK. The Low GI loaf, if it is the same recipe as it used to be, is very nice but definitely not low carb.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just about to try a low GI roll to see how bad it is for my BG.
Not very hopeful.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hmmm....not bad so far.
Then again I cycled 15 miles earlier so that may be skewing the results.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
At 36g of carbs per 100g I think I will give it a miss.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 grams

Amount Per Serving
Calories 287Calories from Fat 0

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8.5g13%
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 0.9mg0%
Potassium 0mg0%
Total Carbohydrate 36g12%
Dietary Fiber 6.9g28%
Sugars 3.8g
Protein 13.2g26%

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% • Iron 0%

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All I can say at the moment is that the rolls gave me a very minor blip in BG and tasted very nice indeed.
So I will test again because the numbers aren't always everything.
If it doesn't spike you, then all is good.

CatrinJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheese and Tories,
I don't know if it is temporary or not but Lidl are selling the in-store bakery protein rolls again. I had one last night with my salmon and salad and 2hrs later my bg was 5.9. Tasted really nice as well, much better than I expected.

• Informative
Reactions: MrsA2

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if it is temporary or not but Lidl are selling the in-store bakery protein rolls again. I had one last night with my salmon and salad and 2hrs later my bg was 5.9. Tasted really nice as well, much better than I expected.
I looked for them a while ago, but was told they'd been discontinued. That's good to know; I'll check when I next go there.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that is great news. I have glanced at the bakery section every so often, but always been disappointed. I've been asked if I need help by the staff, and have explained what I was looking for. They always pointed me towards the low GI loaves, but I had to explain that I need low carb. They seem to have been told that low GI is low carb, so I worry that some people have been misled.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fair amount of Lidls High Protein range is low carb. Of course the yoghurts etc have sweetners in. It's a shame they don't publish the ingredients and carb values of the bread and rolls

Reactions: HSSS

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can confirm that they were in my local Lidl today. I nabbed two of the last four they had. And they were very nice covered in butter.

Reactions: Paul41

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I emailed lidl and got their nutritional info for bakery stuff. The low GI stuff most definitely isn’t low carb. The high protein roll is best at 20% carbs. Most loaves and rolls are in the high 40% and most of the baguettes over 50%.

5300877 Low GI Multiseed Cob

Ingredients
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin); Water; Sunflower Seeds (8%); Linseed (4%); Wheat Gluten; Oat Grits; Wheat Bran; Pumpkin Seeds (2%); Rye Flour; Yeasts; Oats; Dried Wheat Sourdough; Sourdough Powder (Pregelatinised Wheat Flour, Lactic Acid); Sugar; Salt; Burnt Sugar; Caramelised Sugar; Corn Grits; Full Fat Soya Flour; Dried Rye Sourdough; Malt Barley Flour; Flour Treatment Agents (Calcium Sulphate, Ascorbic Acid); Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin, Sodium Stearoyl-2-lactylate); Whey Powder (Milk); Dextrose; Palm Fat; Raising Agent (Disodium Diphosphate) Wholemeal Rye Flour.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 287kcal/1206kJ
Fat8.5g
Of which saturates1.0g
Carbohydrate36.0g
Of which sugars3.8g
Fibre8.0g
Protein13.2g
Salt 0.90g
Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Sesame.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians.

5302428 Low GI Roll

Ingredients
Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin); Water; Sunflower Seeds; Wheat Gluten; Brown Linseeds; Wheat Bran; Pinhead Oats; Yeast; Rye Flour; Pumpkin Seeds; Sugar; Salt; Whey Powder (Milk); Burnt Sugar; Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed Oil, Palm Oil); Dextrose; Wheat Fibre; Malted Wheat Flour; Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 295kcal/1240kJ
Fat8.5g
Of which saturates1.1g
Carbohydrate44.9g
Of which sugars4.2g
Fibre8.4g
Protein14.0g
Salt 0.78g
Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians.

79358 High Protein Roll

Ingredients
Water, Wheat Flour, 8.6% Linseed, Wheat Gluten, 5.2% Sunflower Seeds, 5.1 % Soya Bean Meal, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Soya Protein Concentrate, 1.5% Sesame Seeds, Salt, Barley Malt Extract (Barley, Water), Acid: Lactic Acid; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Acetates; Roasted Barley Malt Flour, Apple Fibre, Dextrose, Wheat Malt Flour, Glucose Syrup.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 283kcal/1184kJ
Fat11.7g
Of which saturates1.9g
Carbohydrate20.4g
Of which sugars2.2g
Fibre10.5g
Protein18.9g
Salt 1.37g
Allergens
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. May also contain Egg and Milk.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Jim_AFCB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat these rolls with impunity, guess the levels of protein and fibre offset the carbs.

Unfortunately, Lidl informed me today that they have been discontinued when I asked the bakery where they were.

Why is it that the supermarkets cater so badly for those of us on keto diets for medical reasons?

Yes they have the "free-from" sections.... free from everything except loads of carbs, it seems.

Jim_AFCB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might give the Livlife a try.. thanks for that tip. Only thing is there is no Waitrose within reasonable walking distance from me.
Waitrose is a bit of a trek for me too, nearest one is a 15-20 minute drive away. However, I buy 3-4 loaves at a time and it freezes well. Toasts well from frozen too.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
At 45% carbs nor am I.
I found it better to just disregard bread altogether rather than trying to compensate with these alternative breads'rolls.
I actually don't even think about sandwiches or toast at all now. Same with desserts ... I just don't anymore LOL

Reactions: Danny Hyslop