Low BG on LCHF diet

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
This is just my thought and may well not be right for you, but you will know if it is or not. Your SIBO diet seems very restrictive anyway and to me that is the most important health issue for you to address since your BG's are already excellent. Do you think a small amount of honey every day could help? This could help you increase calories a little quite easily, it looks as if your BG's would stand it. As LGC says it looks like you need more calories than most people your height and weight just to stay the same.

It's a shame about the peppers :(

I worry about falling out of ketosis if I eat honey. If I was still within my acceptable carb limit for the day would this mean I would stay in ketosis? I'm going to have to trial honey again to see if it effects my SIBO. I was very bloated yesterday, so it was hard to tell what was having an effect and what wasn't. Would a couple of teaspoons of honey really up my calorie count by an awful lot? Would I not be better sticking to fat? I'll give it another go though and see what happens :) Also, I read that protein should be eaten in small portions per meal, does anybody know what the amount should be? I read around 15g, this seems quite low to me though.

I thought it might be relevant to mention that one of the characteristics of MIDD is small stature and low body weight. Both my mum and my nan (who also had MIDD, (it's genetically inherited through the female line) were very small and slim/skinny. My sister,who hasn't yet developed diabetes but has the deafness, is also very small and very thin and she eats a 'normal' diet. Just so you know that my being thin can't be solely attributed to the effects of the SIBO :) That being said, I really don't want to lose any weight if I can help it while trying to get rid of this bl**dy persistent SIBO!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I worry about falling out of ketosis if I eat honey. If I was still within my acceptable carb limit for the day would this mean I would stay in ketosis? I'm going to have to trial honey again to see if it effects my SIBO. I was very bloated yesterday, so it was hard to tell what was having an effect and what wasn't. Would a couple of teaspoons of honey really up my calorie count by an awful lot? Would I not be better sticking to fat? I'll give it another go though and see what happens :) Also, I read that protein should be eaten in small portions per meal, does anybody know what the amount should be? I read around 15g, this seems quite low to me though.

I thought it might be relevant to mention that one of the characteristics of MIDD is small stature and low body weight. Both my mum and my nan (who also had MIDD, (it's genetically inherited through the female line) were very small and slim/skinny. My sister,who hasn't yet developed diabetes but has the deafness, is also very small and very thin and she eats a 'normal' diet. Just so you know that my being thin can't be solely attributed to the effects of the SIBO :) That being said, I really don't want to lose any weight if I can help it while trying to get rid of this bl**dy persistent SIBO!

With respect, sometimes you can't have it all ways. You have a bit of a portfolio of conditions going on there, and sometimes we have to pick from a list of least bad, rather than best options. If these things were easy, and a one-size fits all solution available, none of us would be here.

I think you have to write yourself a plan, with the things you are curious about (like honey) and execute the steps (like adding xml of honey y times a day for 3 days, for example), measure the results - in terms of bloods, ketosis, how you feel and weight and review after a suitable period. Then move onto the next item on your plan. Adding or removing too many things at once is unhelpful as it is not usually possible to be sure what has caused any change that occurs.

It's not easy, but planning and executing to your plan, will give you a structured approach with evidence based reasoning for changes.

(Sorry, I'm a bit grumpy today.)

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
With respect, sometimes you can't have it all ways. You have a bit of a portfolio of conditions going on there, and sometimes we have to pick from a list of least bad, rather than best options. If these things were easy, and a one-size fits all solution available, none of us would be here.

I think you have to write yourself a plan, with the things you are curious about (like honey) and execute the steps (like adding xml of honey y times a day for 3 days, for example), measure the results - in terms of bloods, ketosis, how you feel and weight and review after a suitable period. Then move onto the next item on your plan. Adding or removing too many things at once is unhelpful as it is not usually possible to be sure what has caused any change that occurs.

It's not easy, but planning and executing to your plan, will give you a structured approach with evidence based reasoning for changes.

(Sorry, I'm a bit grumpy today.)

Don't worry about the grumpiness, I'm pretty grumpy just now too :)

I am trying to keep track of what I'm eating, and how this effects both my BGs and my SIBO. But trying to keep my energy up and my calories at the right amount when having to remove foods and then not trying them again for a particular amount of time is tricky, I'm slowly getting the hang of it though.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Sirzy One thing - I am not sure why you want to be in ketosis?

I can see this as an aim for adopting a LCHF lifestyle for good BG control with little or no medication, plus helping with your body's insulin cycle, but I would think that your SIBO is a more pressing problem and staying in ketosis may not be essential to best cope with SIBO.

I haven't Googled much, but what I have read doesn't seem to recommend LCHF and ketosis as a treatment for SIBO - then again the advice is more generic, and not, I think, aimed specifically at diabetics.

I would be inclined to focus on foods that you can eat without spiking your BG and without aggravating your SIBO.
I realise that this diet is similar in many aspects to LCHF but you perhaps need to remind yourself that it is not identical to the LCHF diet that diabetics follow.

I did see a reference to bone broth which seemed to make sense - plenty of nutrients, no carbs, and easily assimilated.
The traditional chicken soup might also be an option.

I must confess that I am nervous about giving too much advice because SIBO isn't anything that I have had to deal with, and I expect that most other posters here do not have direct experience either.

Best of luck.

LGC

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sirzy One thing - I am not sure why you want to be in ketosis?

I can see this as an aim for adopting a LCHF lifestyle for good BG control with little or no medication, plus helping with your body's insulin cycle, but I would think that your SIBO is a more pressing problem and staying in ketosis may not be essential to best cope with SIBO.

I haven't Googled much, but what I have read doesn't seem to recommend LCHF and ketosis as a treatment for SIBO - then again the advice is more generic, and not, I think, aimed specifically at diabetics.

I would be inclined to focus on foods that you can eat without spiking your BG and without aggravating your SIBO.
I realise that this diet is similar in many aspects to LCHF but you perhaps need to remind yourself that it is not identical to the LCHF diet that diabetics follow.

I did see a reference to bone broth which seemed to make sense - plenty of nutrients, no carbs, and easily assimilated.
The traditional chicken soup might also be an option.

I must confess that I am nervous about giving too much advice because SIBO isn't anything that I have had to deal with, and I expect that most other posters here do not have direct experience either.

Best of luck.

LGC

I suppose the SIBO diet doesn't necessarily mean I have to be on a LCHF diet. I think specifically, the high fat part isn't particularly relevant to SIBO, but my thinking was, if my carbs are limited due to only being able to eat vegetables and fruit with a low carb content and only in small amounts and also not being able to snack, I won't be able to get my energy from carbs, therefore I thought a diet were I'm getting most of my energy from fat would be the best option.

I suppose, my other option would be to load up on protein and try to get enough energy that way as protein isn't limited on the SIBO diet. Bone broth isn't an option for me as I only eat seafood, and more recently chicken, I was a vegetarian for almost 30 years, but realised that I'd never get rid of SIBO (or control my BG levels) on a veggie diet, I really couldn't bring myself to eat bone broth though.

Just re-read your post and saw that you suggested chicken soup, this would definitely be an option :)