Low Carb substitutes we like

Lakeslover

Following on from another thread I thought it might be helpful to have a post for people to list low carb substitutes they have tried and like. There are so many options on line, but often expensive and it’s hard to know what is worth trying. Although we all like different things I find it is helpful to see other people’s independent views before buying or making something. So I’ll start!

Seriously Low Carb(SLC) multigrain rolls are the best I’ve found so far. A bit chewy but good for a burger or strong cheese and pickle roll.

also SLC pickle and jam. A bit runny but taste is good.

Deliciously Guilt Free. Bakewell slices. Lovely warmed and served with cream.

keto Hana granola. Tasty, I’ve liked all the flavours and good with Greek yoghurt. Also good blitzed up and used as a crumble topping, or in a cheesecake base.

Chaffles. Easy to make and tasty. I like to add onion.

groovy Keto scone mix. Fluffy scones which taste like the real thing.

groovy keto walnut cake mix and carrot cake mix are ok. I make as muffins and add walnuts. Handy for taking out for lunch. I don’t like their bread mix.

homemade cheese crackers. I make a batch at the weekend and they last all week. https://thebigmansworld.com/keto-crackers/

celeriac chips in place of potatoes. Celeriac, cauliflower or swede mash.

I use cauliflower in place of rice or pasta. Just cut up with sauce on top as it takes on the flavour of the sauce.

please add your choices and dislikes!

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Big recommendation for Ketorama website.
You can buy readymade or the cheaper alternative of mixes to make yourself.

Their Bagel mix is easy and tastes great, not rubbery at all.
Their Panda flour makes good pastry, I’ve made pasties, pies, sausage rolls and dumplings.

The cakes are delicious and not too sweet.
Also treated myself to Chinese spring rolls last time, very tasty.

Reactions: Speedbird

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The SRSLY not cross bun loaf toasts really nice and is cracking with a bit of cheese, Pizza bases from the Low Carb Food Co. are great.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son treats me to multi packs of Cheesies and Chicken or Pork crackling twice a year (Xmas and birthday). So good for when that salt craving hits, and they keep and travel well.

Lakeslover

Big recommendation for Ketorama website.
You can buy readymade or the cheaper alternative of mixes to make yourself.

Their Bagel mix is easy and tastes great, not rubbery at all.
Their Panda flour makes good pastry, I’ve made pasties, pies, sausage rolls and dumplings.

The cakes are delicious and not too sweet.
Also treated myself to Chinese spring rolls last time, very tasty.
I haven’t tried panda flour yet. Is it a direct substitute for ordinary flour?

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I haven’t tried as regular flour, I wouldn’t think so as it’s gluten free and highly absorbent.

Given that it is gluten free, it’s very easy to work with. And Ketorama provide a very helpful recipe booklet free of charge.

• Friendly
Reactions: shelley262

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Homemade cheesy crisps

Pack of 10 slices of Edam cheese cut diagonally into 4 quarters, lay out on greaseproof paper with a bit of space between, oven 200deg for 15 minutes until they are bubbling, take out let cool - cheesy crisps! Far cheaper than the ready made bags

Great with dips or as nachos, you can sprinkle paprika or onion or garlic powder on them before they go in the oven. I make them to use with chilli or loaded nachos. I always make them when we have visitors and get special requests for them

Don’t use foil to cook them as they will weld to it

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Homemade cheesy crisps

Pack of 10 slices of Edam cheese cut diagonally into 4 quarters, lay out on greaseproof paper with a bit of space between, oven 200deg for 15 minutes until they are bubbling, take out let cool - cheesy crisps! Far cheaper than the ready made bags

Great with dips or as nachos, you can sprinkle paprika or onion or garlic powder on them before they go in the oven. I make them to use with chilli or loaded nachos. I always make them when we have visitors and get special requests for them

Don’t use foil to cook them as they will weld to it
For one, I do just one or 2 slices of the cheese , in greaseproof paper, in the microwave 90 seconds. Done.

mouseee

Just found The Curators pork puffs. Give you the feeling of eating crisps which are a downfall of mine. Salty and crunchy and there are a couple of different flavours. 0g carbs. Obviously just a treat occasionally but will help keep.me on track again.

Reactions: Impy

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Deliciously guilt free for cakes\pudding - I'm personally not keen on the ones with buttercream icing but love the lemon, raspberry and pecan and butterscotch plus chocolate orange brownies. Also their rotis
New fan of The low carb food company especially their rolls and pasta
I also eat a lot of full fat yoghurt my main is M and S 10% Greek yogurt or fage 5% which I serve as a pudding with berries - frozen ones when not in season.
Chocolate mainly Montezumas 100% with orange oil or lindt 90% ( but always eat too much when buy it so I try to stick to Montezumas
Boiled eggs always in the fridge for quick fixes!
Double cream also usually in my fridge - useful for quick sauces and also cauliflower cheese just use cream for the sauce and sprinkle with cheese - talking of cheese - I've always got a cheese selection and when I fancy crackers I have Olina seeded crackers in stock (current supply from Waitrose)
Soda water is a great low carb drink - I often flavour with things like lemon ginger or mint or use it instead of diet tonic with my weekly gin!
And finally a big supply of herbs and spices they are low carb as small quantities used but perk up food no end .....and did I mention eggs I've always got those at the ready!
I did used to always have nuts in my cupboard but I tend to overeat them if in cupboard so try to keep them off my shopping list!

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I haven’t tried as regular flour, I wouldn’t think so as it’s gluten free and highly absorbent.

Given that it is gluten free, it’s very easy to work with. And Ketorama provide a very helpful recipe booklet free of charge.
The ratio with almond flour is 30gm of panda flour to 100gm of almond flour if that helps.