ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've noticed from your info at the bottom that you have a disc disorder. Hubby has same thing with bulging discs and permanent sciatica - I wanted to say I know how bad it can be as I see hubby go through it every day. He needs an op but due to having heart surgery and being on permanent warfarin they cant operate on the spine. It must make it very difficult for you to exercise or even be mobile.
It is impossible.
I'm needing exercise for mild heart disease too.
I'm on TIER3 now for consideration for bariatric surgery to try and relieve my many health problems.
If I can exercise again I will be making full advantage of it. Youngest child starting school in September so I was hoping to be able to take advantage of it. Unsure what my future holds at mo but at least I feel I'm doing something to relieve my heavy weight problem compounding my problems.
Thank you for understanding.
I'm losing weight too so I'm feeling more positive than I was expecting at this stage of the hospital weight loss programme. Thanks to Orilstat tablets, low fat and low carb. Fingers crossed it will continue that way.
I'm unsure what influence my basal Insulin Toujeo300 is making on weight loss and reducing my severe insulin resistance, but so far so good.
I'm just over 2kg weight loss short for bariatric surgery consideration, at mo.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't want to knock anyone's remedy but there are so many claims made for so many pills and preparations that I couldn't begin to explain how/if any of them work.
I lost weight on xenical in the past and im losing again. Co-incidence? You may be right.

Reactions: Petaluk

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Besides what to eat (low carb, low fat etc)...there is also the option of when to eat, and how often to eat.

Dr Jason Fung's blog on various intervals of fasting may some additional perspective.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

There's quite a range of options to consider...
Yes. I'm finding if I feed my insulin resistance on a morning a very low carb breakfast it stabilises my further daily bgs. Allowing for no carb crave in the evening.
I've experimented with my new basal insulin Toujeo300 and its supporting my need for insulin at the right time rather than glucose dump, adrenaline and circulating insulin not being mopped up due to lack of the ability to exercise too.
So the timing of insulin release and the right food, at the right time can make a huge difference. Definitely.

Reactions: kokhongw

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There is a satiety switch in the brain that tells you when you are full. This is operated by the hormone released when you eat fat. The signals to this switch are interfered with when you eat too many carbs so you stay hungry. I don't know why we evolved this way but I suppose if the eating was slim and you were reduced to eating leaves and roots then it would be counter productive to stop eating. The carbs in the roots and some stems also get laid down as fat for later.
I bet to do with satisfaction. Fatty foods can taste better than salad or low fat cereals.
I love my eggs on protein bread, my fav. Not just for breakfast either.

Reactions: lindisfel

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pinkorchid, It sounds to me, you are on a low carb good fats diet similar to my own! You can't just get your calories from protein it will damage your kidneys!
Then again we are pretty special both of us being pre-war! :);) Derek
I agree to much protein can be damaging to the kidneys. I did enquire in one of the health food shops if having a protein drink between meals would help me put on a bit of weight he said definitely no it would be to much protein for my kidneys unless I was thinking of becoming a body builder hee hee
I don't think there are that many pre-war members here so most will never know the the war time diet it was lots of bread potatoes and other vegetables and very small amounts of butter cheese and fresh meat we practically lived on corned beef, Spam and dried egg for our protein

Reactions: Petaluk

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is impossible.
I'm needing exercise for mild heart disease too.
I'm on TIER3 now for consideration for bariatric surgery to try and relieve my many health problems.
If I can exercise again I will be making full advantage of it. Youngest child starting school in September so I was hoping to be able to take advantage of it. Unsure what my future holds at mo but at least I feel I'm doing something to relieve my heavy weight problem compounding my problems.
Thank you for understanding.
I'm losing weight too so I'm feeling more positive than I was expecting at this stage of the hospital weight loss programme. Thanks to Orilstat tablets, low fat and low carb. Fingers crossed it will continue that way.
I'm unsure what influence my basal Insulin Toujeo300 is making on weight loss and reducing my severe insulin resistance, but so far so good.
I'm just over 2kg weight loss short for bariatric surgery consideration, at mo.

You definately sound like hubby (dont take that the wrong way). He has had the back problems from around the late 90's due to an accident at work (he was a postman). In 2010 he had a stroke and they discovered he had severe heart problems so had to do surgery. He gets very down because he has been on the junkheap since he was in his 30's. Not good when he's still only 46 and has many years of arguing with the government why he cant work.

They have a scheme here in the West Midlands called Action Heart which is a year scheme for people who have heart problems or weight problems and I think diabetes too. It's a year long plan for exercise for these people and it gave my hubby some new outlook on life. Unfortunately it only lasts a year and then you are encouraged to continue at home.

I'm also on tier 3 of bariatric surgery and they have mentioned a gastric sleeve for me. However I've read some things on a bariatric group online and I'm not sure if it's for me. I rejoined weight watchers with a friend so I'm hoping I can help myself by losing some of it without surgery. I went back to the group where I had previously lost 4 stone so hoping I will get the same support.

I've tried Orlistat - what they didnt tell me is it would escalate my irritable bowel. I do understand there is a new one though that helps with fat and carbs. I'm not sure if it would be worth me giving it a go

And I know that 2kilos will come off dont u fret :)

Reactions: ickihun

lindisfel

Expert
I agree to much protein can be damaging to the kidneys. I did enquire in one of the health food shops if having a protein drink between meals would help me put on a bit of weight he said definitely no it would be to much protein for my kidneys unless I was thinking of becoming a body builder hee hee
I don't think there are that many pre-war members here so most will never know the the war time diet it was lots of bread potatoes and other vegetables and very small amounts of butter cheese and fresh meat we practically lived on corned beef, Spam and dried egg for our protein
But when we look at our school pictures, pinkorchid, 95% of us were thin/slim! regards D.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
But when we look at our school pictures, pinkorchid, 95% of us were thin/slim! regards D.
No junk food or takeouts. Oh and no water and steriods injected into chicken etc... Far less processed food.
Basic, uninterferred with food.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am only 74 so I don't qualify as a war baby but almost ! I went to the GP when I had my 4 children and when I had an appendectomy .When I was losing weight 8 years ago.my daughters bullied me into going to the GP and a blood test said DB I took this as a personal affront I don't do I'll !
CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my parents definitely count as pre-WWII babies, and they are doing OK (except for the thyroid, joint replacements, food intolerances, T2 and memory issues) - but their contemporaries certainly are not. Their surviving friends have a horrifying list of ailments.

And interestingly, looking back at my grandparents generation (born in 1890s) their old age was significantly more uncomfortable than my parents has been. Crippling arthritis, vascular and heart issues, angina, bowel cancer, gall bladder and T2.

And weight issues have nothing to do with it.
I am the first person in 3 generations and 30+ people in the family to be fat.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This comment isn't meant to be flippant, although had a whole load of potential to be read as such, but to be honest, some of this looking back through the generations stuff doesn't go down too well. It doesn't take too many iterations to realise people just didn't live terribly long even a few years ago. In the late 80's the average lifespan of an individual in UK was in the 70s, now it is well into the 80s.

Many many of our forefathers died of conditions we could now live with. In my parent's generation (my father was born a couple of days before the Queen and my mother 5 years younger, many, many of their peers had heart attacks in their early 50, requiring bypasses or living the remainder of their lives in a diminished way. This were similar with cancer.

Thankfully, medical science has come a long way and many people are surviving very well, even after catastrophic diagnosis.

lindisfel

Expert
Most people have stopped smoking, it was a major killer, causing cancer, copd and heart disease. Antibiotics only started to be used in the 1940's both my wife and myself would be dead now without antibiotics, me I had septiceamia 20 years ago. I would have been dead twice because I had radical cancer treatment for an advanced tumour 14 years ago. I am very fortunate, every day now is a gift from God. regards D.

lindisfel

Expert
Irrespective of how healthy it is to be slim or fat c.70 years ago the majority of children were slim and now when I see them leaving school they are not. I am now the weight I was when I got married over half a century ago but I just wish I could ride a bike a 100miles and walk 25 miles but Old Father Time is trying hard with his sickle to cut me down to size! :);)