"lower carb potatoes"? Celeriac!!

anniep

I find the boiling or parboiling first, softens the taste and makes it more acceptible, then with gravy and they are a good roastie substitute.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I use celeriac to mimic all my old potato favourites including mash, chips, boiled and roasted. using all purpose seasoning can help to "amend" the strong celery flavour, but personally I like it anyways. I do note however that roast celeriac always seems to resemble parsnip.
My next experiments will be, spinach and celeriac "aloo" (curried potato and spinach) and bombay potatos!.

All the best - Steve

anniep

Bluenosesol said:
I use celeriac to mimic all my old potato favourites including mash, chips, boiled and roasted. using all purpose seasoning can help to "amend" the strong celery flavour, but personally I like it anyways. I do note however that roast celeriac always seems to resemble parsnip.
My next experiments will be, spinach and celeriac "aloo" (curried potato and spinach) and bombay potatos!.

All the best - Steve

that sounds goo d- I hadn't thought of it in currys

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Serena51 said:
I enjoy my celeriac roasties.

I par boil them first then into a very hot tin of dripping with a raw quartered onion.

Cook for an hour, basting often, for about an hour. The onion is usally nearly black by now.

Scrumptious. Not a roast potato but I find a most acceptable alternative.

Hey Serena! I tried this on Christmas Day and it was very good! I had been dreading Christmas lunch, but the roast celeriac meant I had an almost normal dinner. Had some roasted butternut squash too. My BGs didn't go too high, so I think I'll have an experiment with more butternut squash recipes now!
I even had a rhubarb crumble (made with ground almonds) and cream for pud!

Smidge

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy 2 every week and Christmas week I couldn't get them anywhere - a guy in tesco said that maybe they couldn't harvest them because of the snow though I have my doubts about that? - they seem to be freely available again now though - got 2 today in Asda

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
been back on the river cottage website for a recipe and came across this one for celeriac soup - it does have one potato in it but as it serves 6 it is still relatively low carb for those who keep their carbs very low - You could miss it out but I think the texture of the soup would suffer - anyway sounds delicious! :D

rivercottage.net/recipes/celeriac-soup/

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
My wife made me a shepherds pie tonight with celeriac mash instead of potato, it was wonderful!!! All the best - Steve