Man who reversed his diabetes in 11 days

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! Yes, but it's true. I saw my GP yesterday and told her all the advice re prediabetes is along the lines of "losing only 10% of your body weight" etc, and how on earth could I do that, and she remarked "there isn't a pick on you" and how I should not lose weight, which I agree with but i explained I'm trying to keep my BG levels down. She is referring me for physio which should help with muscle strength as she is concerned about the consequences of inactivity. I maybe enviably slim in some peoples' eyes, but it's not everything you know ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How I can sympathise Jane
Although I have type2 DB I am under weight and to be honest sometimes I just want to scream at the next person who tells me how lucky I am to be so slim I feel like telling them to just stop eating you will lose weight fairly quickly :evil:
It is very difficult to even maintain weight and keep BGs under control never mind put weight on GRRR
CAROL

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a very tough balancing act, isn't it? Eat enough but not so much it ups the BG levels, but make sure you're not on too much of a calorie deficit. Scream!!

In running out of options. It's either insulin resistance due to lack of physical activity or it's loss of beta cells in my case. We never know for sure what it is, though. I'm gradually coming to terms with the reality that I may have permanently lost some beta cell function, and all the Newcastle Diet hype isn't helping—fatty liver, fatty pancreas, wake up the beta cells etc, it's all about weight loss and losing body fat, as if nothing else is relevant. It's just not an option for me (or you). :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lets start an alliance SKINNIES RULE OK :shock:
CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly not you can be the main man :lol:
CAROL

swickliffe7

gezzathorpe said:
swickliffe7 said:
Does anyone know how to reverse type 2 db if you don't need to lose any weight. I don't really want to go on a diet because I'm already on the thin side. I have tried many different supplements that seem to help some. I take metformin but I use a topical
cream form so it won't mess with my stomach. I really want to try and reverse my db can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks
Sue

I see you joined around 2:30 this morning. Try more sleep! Ha ha!

I live in the US so I think I really joined around 9:30 pm.
However, your right, I probably should try to get to sleep before 11:00 pm.

Hazehkm

Okay, so I was diagnosed type 2 just a few weeks ago. I knew back in June that the tests they were doing were to check for diabetes and on the basis of that alone, I decided to take action immediately. I say I'm following a low carb diet but the truth is, that I don't see what I'm doing as a "diet", because with this condition, I believe you have to make lifestyle changes that you can live with long term. So, yes, I've cut out the starchy carbs - no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. But rather than seeing it as a restriction, I have used it as an opportunity to learn lots of new ways to prepare fresh, healthy food that I can fill up on and enjoy. My diet consists of lean chicken and fish, lots of vegetables and fruit. Everything is made fresh from scratch, nothing processed. I'm learning how to prepare these things in lots of interesting, different ways using herbs, spices and different recipes. I can HONESTLY say, I don't find it restrictive at all and in fact, I'd say my diet has more variety in it and is more tasty than before! My body is getting lots of nutrients from the amount of vegetables and other healthy things i'm eating - so it's not craving the other stuff.

I'm not saying I'll never eat another potato again or never have a treat again... but I have made the decision that those things will be saved for special occasions - a treat on Xmas day, if I'm out for dinner for someone's birthday or whatever... and y'know what, I'm good with it! The fact that I have diabetes, for me, takes away the opportunity and excuse to fall off the wagon and eat rubbish again - it's just not an option so I don't worry about it. I'm excited about my healthier lifestyle - I'm fitter, have more energy and today I met a friend for dinner in Pizza Express and I very happily ordered and really enjoyed a superfood salad. I didn't even struggle over not ordering a pizza - it didn't bother me at all.

So I started this lifestyle on 26th June. By the time I saw the DN for my appointment to formally get my diagnosis, I'd already lost a lot of weight SIMPLY by making these changes. She said she was delighted with what I'd done and said she'd give me about 3 months to run with it and see if I could bring my condition under control myself with diet. She reckoned I'd probably already made a difference but said she would give me the time to really turn it around.

So I've not yet been back to the DN however today I finally got my blood glucose monitoring kit which I decided to buy so I could just get an idea of what's going on with my levels, and to see the effects of different foods so that I can really make sure that what I'm doing is giving me the benefit I want. Before I started this lifestyle change, my fasting test was around 12. Today I tested my blood glucose 2 hours after breakfast and 2 hours after my meal out. The breakfast reading was 5.7, the one after my meal out was 6.2. Naturally I was very happy with those results, and for me, it is clear evidence that I've made the right decision regarding my diet and lifestyle.

As I say above, I don't find it restrictive, I'm eating lots of delicious meals, and really savouring the flavours I'm creating with fresh, healthy food. I've lost 2 and a half stone in just 7 weeks - but I've not felt its been through depriving myself, it's just been by changing things. The reason people put on their weight again is because they go into an unsustainable miserable diet that as soon as they stop, is no longer effective and they gain back what they've lost. But rather than "going on a diet" - I've focused on finding lots of yummy, interesting and different recipes that fit around my low carb goals. I've focused not on what I CAN'T eat, but what I CAN eat. It really does make all the difference.

So for me, if my new lifestyle and the way I eat means that my average readings carry on like they have today, then frankly, I'm good with it. As I say, I don't see it as a diet, I see it as a long term lifestyle change that I'm making sure I can sustain by doing research, getting lots of recipes, keeping it interesting and learning about flavours. It means I have a great diet that I can live with long term, keep my condition manageable and under control, and know that I can enjoy the OCCASIONAL treat without putting myself at risk. I don't think I'll ever see my condition as "reversed", just under control but I'm very much aware that I am putting in place a lifestyle that will allow me to KEEP it under control. There is no point in someone doing something drastic to "reverse" their condition if they just go back to bad habits. It's about making positive changes that mean you can enjoy a delicious but HEALTHY long-term diet and enjoy the occasional treat without it putting you at risk or requiring medication.

isleworth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
norfolknan said:
How can he say he has completely rid himself of diabetes in 11 days, and what happens when he eats "normal" food again.

I think that's really the bottom line. Surely a diet doesn't "reverse" diabetes any more than Metformin does?

Brendan278

I would advise anyone to be very very cautious about anyone claiming to have actually reversed type 2 diabetes in 11 days or on 600 calorie a day diet. Why? because there is a vast difference between bringing blood glucose within "Normal Ranges" and declaring that type 2 diabetes is gone. In my case I didn't get the medical all clear for three years after my first normal result. I would like to see this persons Hbaic results every 3 months for at least two years before making such a claim.

Beware of medical / budgetary pressures and the political pressure for results for the billions spent on medications etc.