Managing the Bernstein eating plan

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Whatever I was doing using the Whey protein powder before meals has basically stopped the dramatic affect it had earlier in the month.

So the whey protein stimulation of GPL-1 ( supposedly ) that stimulates primary insulin response is not working as well.
Perhaps I've burned out more betas or I'm just getting older, gained some weight ( % of muscle to fat changed ). Who knows.

For me the real constant is following Dr. Bernstein's diet and exercise protocols.

A couple of observations. If you look at Dr. Bernstein, I would bet you that he doesn't eat more than 1,200 calories a day.

For me not eating much is a good way to reliably control my BG with a minimum of insulin. Wasn't starvation the only treatment before insulin?

I also believe that the guidelines of what our base calorie requirements are too large an amount for most of us. They should be reduced to be more accurate.

Thirdly, I'm going into my second year as LADA and at times feel overwhelmed and warn out. But when I realize how long of time many of you have been managing this disease I am humbled and embarrassed a bit. I'm still just a baby in the whole thing.

My whole relationship to food has really changed. It is not entertainment as much any more. No deserts or pastries cakes or pastas ( very little legumes ) and fruits I eat are only what I used to consider veggies. (-;

The one positive I can drink a pint of strong stout beer and my BG goes down. Now 'Old Rasputin' is my dessert

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the old days the diabetic diet was whiskey and boiled cabbage. I skipped the boiled cabbage. Never did me any harm!

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Whatever I was doing using the Whey protein powder before meals has basically stopped the dramatic affect it had earlier in the month.

So the whey protein stimulation of GPL-1 ( supposedly ) that stimulates primary insulin response is not working as well.
Perhaps I've burned out more betas or I'm just getting older, gained some weight ( % of muscle to fat changed ). Who knows.

For me the real constant is following Dr. Bernstein's diet and exercise protocols.

A couple of observations. If you look at Dr. Bernstein, I would bet you that he doesn't eat more than 1,200 calories a day.

For me not eating much is a good way to reliably control my BG with a minimum of insulin. Wasn't starvation the only treatment before insulin?

I also believe that the guidelines of what our base calorie requirements are too large an amount for most of us. They should be reduced to be more accurate.

Thirdly, I'm going into my second year as LADA and at times feel overwhelmed and warn out. But when I realize how long of time many of you have been managing this disease I am humbled and embarrassed a bit. I'm still just a baby in the whole thing.

My whole relationship to food has really changed. It is not entertainment as much any more. No deserts or pastries cakes or pastas ( very little legumes ) and fruits I eat are only what I used to consider veggies. (-;

The one positive I can drink a pint of strong stout beer and my BG goes down. Now 'Old Rasputin' is my dessert

I can very much relate to this... Except the whey protein powder, which I have not tried.

I don't count calories every day, but occasionally I do a detailed analysis and I am around 2,500. When I know I have a low calorie day (and LcHf) I know I will have lower BG levels.... But if I do this too much my weight drops,(I am 6ft-2" and 80kg)

A pint of guinness at meal time always helps keep my BG levels down.... But a pint and a half raises them!.... anything more than 2 glasses of red wine lowers them.... If my BG levels are high I have a good excuse to down a few glasses of R.wine!!!

I am much, much fitter / stronger than I used to be.... I took a row boat out last week and I had no difficulty at all rowing fairly hard for an hour..... I could not have done this many years ago..... All down to exercising to keep my BG levels down.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A pint of guinness at meal time always helps keep my BG levels down.... But a pint and a half raises them!.... anything more than 2 glasses of red wine lowers them.... If my BG levels are high I have a good excuse to down a few glasses of R.wine!!!/QUOTE]

Guinness puts my bg up (I'm type 1) but red wine does nothing at all to my bg, thankfully I do enjoy a glass or two of wine on a weekend ;)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But Hell, I'm NOT going to shrivel away into a little tiny Yoda. I don't want to - and I'm not throwing my nice new clothes away. Pounds of butter, churns of cream, here I come. (Am I going to turn into something disgusting? Ow ... )

And Ian:

I am much, much fitter / stronger than I used to be.

Yes - me too. Getting fitter and stronger by the day. Feels good doesn't it.

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Guinness puts my bg up (I'm type 1) but red wine does nothing at all to my bg, thankfully I do enjoy a glass or two of wine on a weekend ;)
It's strange how we all differ slightly.... But only slightly.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It's strange how we all differ slightly.... But only slightly.
Ian and Nobelhead

OK I don't want to start a beer war wit you all, but here in the states Guinness taste like water - I've heard the export is not the good stuff.

In the states craft beers are all the rage for the younger people. My running group started drinking this dark rich stout called 'Old Rasputin' by North Coast Brewery.

It is 9.7% alcohol. I can have 11/2 pints and BG goes low like you Ian, but if I have 2 pints back to back I'm starting to feel like I'm 25 again and my GF is afraid I might go get a full arm tattoo - I'm a real light weight. Never measured my BG after 2 pints I just didn't care.

Lucy / Ian yes this getting back into shape is excellent. I too like how I feel. And I am like so vain I like having muscles again and do think it makes a big difference in BG control.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ian and Nobelhead

OK I don't want to start a beer war wit you all, but here in the states Guinness taste like water - I've heard the export is not the good stuff.

In the states craft beers are all the rage for the younger people. My running group started drinking this dark rich stout called 'Old Rasputin' by North Coast Brewery.

It is 9.7% alcohol. I can have 11/2 pints and BG goes low like you Ian, but if I have 2 pints back to back I'm starting to feel like I'm 25 again and my GF is afraid I might go get a full arm tattoo - I'm a real light weight. Never measured my BG after 2 pints I just didn't care.

Lucy / Ian yes this getting back into shape is excellent. I too like how I feel. And I am like so vain I like having muscles again and do think it makes a big difference in BG control.

My that's strong stuff at 9.7%, can understand how it goes to your head Runner :)

As for the Black Stuff, they say the best tasting Guinness is in Ireland (understandably), I enjoy a pint if I'm out for a bar meal.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge,

Did you say they started you on insulin too late? It sounds as if small doses did work for you for a time.

Lucy

Hi Lucy.

Yes, the small doses of intermediate basal did work for a little while. I think that was probably down to the honeymoon phase though. I think within 5 months of starting insulin I added a rapid acting - this was my choice though. I was hitting high 7s two hours after low-carb lunch, so decided to go for the MDI approach.

At that stage my second phase was still strong but my first phase was non existent. I believe if they'd have diagnosed LADA instead of Type 2 earlier, I'd have stood some chance of at least slowing the progression. To be honest, I reckon I could have managed on just rapid acting for a couple of years, but I have progressed quite a lot now. The insulin masks it so it is quite a shock when you see how high you go if you forget your insulin for the first time.

@Paul1976 did a glucose tolerance test with a group of Type 2s on another forum a couple of years back and it was really shocking to see how high his BG went compared to the Type 2s. Paul is a very well controlled low-carb LADA on basal only.

Smidge

Reactions: 6 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Lucy
What a great article, amazing.
Extradinary that someone with an hba1c of 5.4% enrols with Dr bernstein to further reduce their BG levels.

I had not realy realised that Dr Bernstein recommends a hba1c in the 4s. That seems impossible. Especially if you are on insulin and a driver in the UK.... Is it possible??? I feel my diabetic consultant would not approve, and thus not write a good report to the DVLA.

Any forum members on insulin with hba1c in the 4s and a driver in the UK??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had not realy realised that Dr Bernstein recommends a hba1c in the 4s. That seems impossible. Especially if you are on insulin and a driver in the UK.... Is it possible??? I feel my diabetic consultant would not approve, and thus not write a good report to the DVLA.

I doubt it very much Ian, with levels so low it would inevitably lead to hypo unawareness, I'm sure Bernstein lost his awareness a long long time ago.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't remember Dr B saying anything about an A1c of 4.0%. I think that may be a mistake.

As I read it, the point was that Dr B still checked for damage status even tho the guy's A1c was so low - and found it.

What a physician. Has anyone ever posted him a question?

Reactions: 3 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I don't remember Dr B saying anything about an A1c of 4.0%. I think that may be a mistake.

I think you maybe right.... His targets are 4.6 fasting and 5.6 2hrs after meals, I don't think these levels would give a Hba1c in the 4s. But the author (Ryan attar) clearly states that both his and Dr Bs hba1c are in the 4s.... Must be an error in his conversion to mmol/l

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Lucy
What a great article, amazing.
Extradinary that someone with an hba1c of 5.4% enrols with Dr bernstein to further reduce their BG levels.

Any forum members on insulin with hba1c in the 4s and a driver in the UK??

Awesome article.

Even if the person with the low 5 A1C could still have neurological issues because it is my understanding that nerves can in some cases repair themselves or grow but very slowly like a millimeter a year.

I am sure even many type 1 can have that low of a1c but you can't eat much.

As I've mentioned before look at how thin they look ( for an 80-year old he does have good muscle definition ).

He can't be eating more than 1,500 calories a day.

Look at his lunch coho salmon 160calories 0g carbs, 19 pistachios 76 calories 4g carbs and 2g fiber, cheese 110 calories 2.5g carbs plus the plastic bread. Looks like he is under 400 calories for lunch.

So 3-meals a day at 1,200 to 1,500. In my experience that is difficult.

BTW the whey protein powder completely stopped working and my insulin requirements went up too - someone here warned me about the possibility - lol

Hard to know what the cause of increase insulin requirements.

I'm going to try and lose more weight and live on less food. Have not been successfully at maintaining this goal over the long term; always the food intake creeps up

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but remember we have to be able to sustain it, Runner. I get very keen too. But it's a long l-o-n-g race.