Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had this dog for about 8 months..

Actually I've known him for 12/13 years. He was my mum's. Long story. She's elderly. Memory issues & I promised I'd give the hound a home if "anything" happened to her... She now resides with my sister & now, I have a dog...

So, the dog is a clean animal around my house. This dog will not even **** on his own doorstep.!
I'm up with the lark walk him. Back & feed then off to work. Within 20 minutes of home from work, I'm out with the dog, feed him a little. Then when my supper is done give a small somethingelse (dog food wise.) so he feels part of the pack... Two hours of quality time in total, in the nature doing what dogs do... Plus where ever I can go where dogs are permitted? He'll hang out with me.

Though recently I cut back on my basal by a couple of units due to the muggy weather. Bloods have been great.

Well, I say great. If I get the odd low around the hound he seems more "needy" than usual.. OK, that's my perception. I just ignore him & focus on the treatment.
But he's taken to wandering off & peeing against my computer chair leg during these events??!!
I can understand prior to a walk, but this happens after the mutt's bladder has been wrung dry on one of his "epics"..? It happened this evening. Yep I dropped to 3.6 after a ramble...
Lucky it is a laminate floor. But there is a correlation building up the last few months.

Some dogs have a natural ability. This one doesn't. :banghead:

Reactions: 7 people
S

Shar67

Sounds like he knows your low and he is stressed as he doesn't know how to help, stress wee is not unusual your lucky he does it over a chair and not you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like he knows your low and he is stressed as he doesn't know how to help, stress wee is not unusual your lucky he does it over a chair and not you

"Stress wee".? I'm pretty calm & relaxed dealing with hypos..
Mopping up someone else's "stress" whilst on the rise, I can still cope with.
But would prefer not to..! ;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had this dog for about 8 months..

Actually I've known him for 12/13 years. He was my mum's. Long story. She's elderly. Memory issues & I promised I'd give the hound a home if "anything" happened to her... She now resides with my sister & now, I have a dog...

So, the dog is a clean animal around my house. This dog will not even **** on his own doorstep.!
I'm up with the lark walk him. Back & feed then off to work. Within 20 minutes of home from work, I'm out with the dog, feed him a little. Then when my supper is done give a small somethingelse (dog food wise.) so he feels part of the pack... Two hours of quality time in total, in the nature doing what dogs do... Plus where ever I can go where dogs are permitted? He'll hang out with me.

Though recently I cut back on my basal by a couple of units due to the muggy weather. Bloods have been great.

Well, I say great. If I get the odd low around the hound he seems more "needy" than usual.. OK, that's my perception. I just ignore him & focus on the treatment.
But he's taken to wandering off & peeing against my computer chair leg during these events??!!
I can understand prior to a walk, but this happens after the mutt's bladder has been wrung dry on one of his "epics"..? It happened this evening. Yep I dropped to 3.6 after a ramble...
Lucky it is a laminate floor. But there is a correlation building up the last few months.

Some dogs have a natural ability. This one doesn't. :banghead:
Are you suggesting peeing is not a natural ability?

Need another column in your daily log to correlate the events properly. Could this be a topic suitable for thesis?

Will you be investing in a washing line alarm (i.e. one that triggers when it detects rain)?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But he's taken to wandering off & peeing against my computer chair leg during these events??!

Could only happen to you @Jaylee :)

Odd mind, who knows what a dog can sense....................

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
perhaps the process is:
-senses low
-Thinks Oh @#%& he might get cranky
-pees in nervousness!
:rolleyes:;):happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be:

Oooh! he's hypoing. That means FOOD!
Oh, so HE's eating, and I am not. :(
Not Fair!
I shall make my displeasure felt by widdling up his chair.
Ha!
Next time I shall get a biscuit to prevent me widdling.
I hope.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
perhaps the process is:
-senses low
-Thinks Oh @#%& he might get cranky
-pees in nervousness!
:rolleyes:;):happy:

I'm passive & reserved when low.. Can't be that.
The "clean up"? There is no rebuke or fuss..

Though the dog's history before my mum got him... He was with a young couple the "boyfriend" wasn't nice to him. The girl's mother felt concerned about the hound at the hands of this bloke while her daughter was in hospital??
So much so she handed the dog over to my mum..

There was certainly evidence the dog was kicked & driven off it's food in the early days..
But he's gained a lot of confidence now..! :)

image.jpeg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could only happen to you @Jaylee :)

Odd mind, who knows what a dog can sense....................

I am seriously trying to rationalise this phenominom.. Even to the point where maybe my behaviour whilst low is a trigger..?
But all I do is ignore what's happening other than the hypo & treat. Everything else can wait..
I certainly don't find myself cleaning up after my wife when she susses a low. o_O

I'm fully hypo aware any how. The last thing I want is a smart **** dog telling me!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Though the dog's history before my mum got him... He was with a young couple the "boyfriend" wasn't nice to him. The girl's mother felt concerned about the hound at the hands of this bloke while her daughter was in hospital??

There was certainly evidence the dog was kicked & driven off it's food in the early days..

View attachment 19772
Sorry, wasn't an accusation.
Sometimes when dogs sense "something wrong" they get nervous until they reassure themselves. ( Given his suspected history, he may have to him, lost a loving woman, your mum, only to be replaced by a new (male) alpha who he connects to a previous male threat) So the prob may go away as he realises how nice you are.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, wasn't an accusation.
Sometimes when dogs sense "something wrong" they get nervous until they reassure themselves. ( Given his suspected history, he may have to him, lost a loving woman, your mum, only to be replaced by a new (male) alpha who he connects to a previous male threat) So the prob may go away as he realises how nice you are.

Don't worry. I didn't take your suggestion as such..it was a valid comment baring in mind the emotional accounts of others when low.. :cool:

The odd thing was when I first went round & met this dog after a brief telephone conversation with my mum about "we've got a dog". My dad was alive then too.
When I'd let myself in & this dog saw me. He initially hated my guts. Lol

When my dad got ill as well as keeping an eye on my parents. I became more involved with this dog too.
Going back to my mum's with the dog to clear out the empty house since her relocation, he tends to lie down where my dad died. Only moving & dancing round my feet if he thinks I'm heading for the front door..?
My mum reckoned this dog knew I was coming over before I pulled up outside & my wife says he gets restless a good 20 before I get home too..

However the 2.5 turbo diesel van I've owned for the last 10 years does have a distinctive sound..

I wouldn't be without this animal. But I do wish he wouldn't complicate the lows..... :rolleyes:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
He's gorgeous. The dog that is.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry. I didn't take your suggestion as such..it was a valid comment baring in mind the emotional accounts of others when low.. :cool:

The odd thing was when I first went round & met this dog after a brief telephone conversation with my mum about "we've got a dog". My dad was alive then too.
When I'd let myself in & this dog saw me. He initially hated my guts. Lol

When my dad got ill as well as keeping an eye on my parents. I became more involved with this dog too.
Going back to my mum's with the dog to clear out the empty house since her relocation, he tends to lie down where my dad died. Only moving & dancing round my feet if he thinks I'm heading for the front door..?
My mum reckoned this dog knew I was coming over before I pulled up outside & my wife says he gets restless a good 20 before I get home too..

However the 2.5 turbo diesel van I've owned for the last 10 years does have a distinctive sound..

I wouldn't be without this animal. But I do wish he wouldn't complicate the lows..... :rolleyes:

Ha.
He knows you can't kick him if you hypo.
I'd be worried in case you ever do go too low.
Guess where the second lot would be going.
But he (probably) wouldn't let any other dog wee on you if you were out of it.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If he was excreting glucose in his urine, it could be useful as a lucozade substitute:wideyed::wideyed:

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have a hypo alert dog!

I just want a dog! My job doesn't permit such an amazing family member.

Work with whatever you have. Hypo alert or not, I'd still love one :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. That's after a haircut.

Left to grow & he looks like Dougal from the magic roundabout..

Gorgeous dog, mine also resembles Dougal if left to get long

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

View attachment 19772
Don't care who you are, don't care where you live...

I'm in the Highlands of Scotland.

I'd walk over broken glass to walk that wee happy dog of yours:D

And walk further to sort out the prior owners who mistreated him! I'm glad your mother got the wee man when she did and you should feel proud with that wee legacy at your feet.

As for the toilet trouble with the little fellow. Buy another mop and put down more laminate...

Jokes aside, I do care who you are and whewre you live:)

I'm Grant and I love dogs:D

Have a nice weekend!

Reactions: 5 people