Meal and food ideas

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jess, Have a look at the recipes and the "What have you eaten today?" thread in our low carb section of the forum. There's plenty of information and advice about low carb eating there for you.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hay @JessT24 go And have a look at dietdoctor.com who does a great two week low carb challenge which tells you what to eat, has some great recipies And is a fab intro into the LCHF way of eating. It is also has lots of info about low carb eating.

Another one to look at is Zoe Harcombe and her Harcombe Diet this diet also has some great recipie ideas.

Good luck keep asking questions x

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1469637380751.jpg

My tea tonight trying to make a change brown rice , chickeb in a bbq sauce and sweetcorn

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to get hold of that book we told you about on another thread, called Carbs and Cals. Available from Amazon and also as an app. It contains colour photos of most of the common foods served on plates so you can see how much there is, along with the weight, number of carbs, calories, amount of fat, protein and fibre. It isn't expensive. I couldn't have been without mine.

The book tells me that
sweetcorn has 21g of carbs per 80g of sweetcorn, and there is at least that on your plate.
brown rice has 10g carbs per 30g rice. You seem to have more than that on your plate
The BBQ sauce will be high in carb I imagine.

It is a pity your meter hasn't arrived or you would be able to see for yourself.

Have a look at this thread, which may help you
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

and this
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try skipping the rice and add another veg or salad.

I love chicken turkey tuna salads with mayo or on a bed of greens. I also eat an avocado a day. When we go low carb we need to add some healthy fats. They are satisfying.

Some people say to make a regular meal, skip the carbs and add another veg. ( or avocado). Easiest way to understand. In the beginning sometimes keeping it simple is easier, at least for me. I eat veggies protein and healthy fats. I don't even think about the rest. Off the menu.

Good luck!!!!

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My meter arrives tomorrow . I really not good with veg only thing I will eat is a ceaser salad .

I cant buy the book yet will look at the app tho .

I just thouhht is this on right lines I guess not .....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Then Caesar salad it is !!! I love them with The right creamy dressing of course. Maybe make that your standard lunch until you figure more things out.

Loads of people eat dairy, I don't but meat and cheese will work. No need for bread. Do you like hard boiled eggs or eggs any other way? Omelettes? Crustless wuiche? Avocado? Nuts? ( be careful with peanuts and cashews) do you like chicken turkey or tuna salad? With mayo?

Don't worry about veggies right now, it's more important to cut the carbs. Eat the ones you like if you can. Small sliced tomato and onion on the meats.

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Then Caesar salad it is !!! I love them with The right creamy dressing of course. Maybe make that your standard lunch until you figure more things out.

Loads of people eat dairy, I don't but meat and cheese will work. No need for bread. Do you like hard boiled eggs or eggs any other way? Omelettes? Crustless wuiche? Avocado? Nuts? ( be careful with peanuts and cashews) do you like chicken turkey or tuna salad? With mayo?

Don't worry about veggies right now, it's more important to cut the carbs. Eat the ones you like if you can. Small sliced tomato and onion on the meats.
Hey I like eggs and tuna .

What dressing for salad is a safr one ceaser dressing ? Thousand island ? X

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
check the carbs per serving. If it is 1 or 2 then it is ok. Caesar dressing is usually fine, also most ranch, oil and vinegars if not sweetened, creamy cucumber, creamy dill etc. No croutons but parmesan cheese is fine. Throw together a green salad and add hard boiled egg, a few small cheese cubes, some shredded chicken or ham, avocado if you like it, and top with whichever low carb dressing you like. Very filling and yummy. Make a can of tuna up into tuna salad with some onion and dill pickle, grated cheese, mayo, however you like it and just eat it out of the bowl as is or put it on top of a salad. Can do the same with egg salad, ham salad, chicken salad. Mix cubed cooked ham, frozen broccoli cut small, onion, mushrooms, and a bunch of grated cheese in a cake pan. Pour a dozen beaten eggs over the lot and bake in the oven until the eggs are thoroughly cooked. This is good hot and also very good cold out of the fridge for breakfast. Just got to think outside the box o_O:p:D hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 people

JessT24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
check the carbs per serving. If it is 1 or 2 then it is ok. Caesar dressing is usually fine, also most ranch, oil and vinegars if not sweetened, creamy cucumber, creamy dill etc. No croutons but parmesan cheese is fine. Throw together a green salad and add hard boiled egg, a few small cheese cubes, some shredded chicken or ham, avocado if you like it, and top with whichever low carb dressing you like. Very filling and yummy. Make a can of tuna up into tuna salad with some onion and dill pickle, grated cheese, mayo, however you like it and just eat it out of the bowl as is or put it on top of a salad. Can do the same with egg salad, ham salad, chicken salad. Mix cubed cooked ham, frozen broccoli cut small, onion, mushrooms, and a bunch of grated cheese in a cake pan. Pour a dozen beaten eggs over the lot and bake in the oven until the eggs are thoroughly cooked. This is good hot and also very good cold out of the fridge for breakfast. Just got to think outside the box o_O:p:D hope this helps.
thanks you for your ideas sound amazing . I going to try having a chicken salad for my lunches or pouched egg bacon sometimes . off shopping to day make my own cupbboard up . do you know any snacks ? xx

Sent from my B1-810 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
cheese strings, pepperoni sticks (watch the carbs) small handful of nuts (not peanuts or cashews) olives, celery sticks with a bit of peanut butter or guacamole or lower carb dip or my fave boursin cheese mmmmmm. sunflower seeds in shell, hard boiled egg, dill pickle, slice of ham wrapped in lettuce, jerky (check pack lots are high carb), pork scratchings, stuffed mushroom caps, a few berries with cream, cold meat, full fat yogurt, chicken legs (no breading or batter)

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read the label for carbs. They are pesky and show up in the oddest places.

You can put any sandwich filling you like on a large piece of lettuce and roll it up. Put your salad dressing on it too. I like chicken egg turkey tuna salmon eats salad made with mayo and onion and eating it on celery sticks.

All this talk of cheese is making me crave it. Lol.

If you're trying to lose weight, watch portion sizes. I tend to snack on a few nuts or make my mayo into different flavored sauces/ dips. I mix mustard, horseradish or hot sauce with the mayo. My version of dairy free dip. I eat it with celery radish or mushrooms.

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I threw together a tuna salad for my lunch today. Half a tin of tuna, a big handful of salad greens, half an avocado, a small tomato diced ,2 slices of red onion diced, some capsicum, mushrooms and cucumber ,homemade salad dressing and a tablespoon of mayo. And Bob' s your uncle. Filling and satisfying!!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
See!! There are lots of things to eat on a low carb diet. You just have to focus on what you CAN have rather than on what you can't. Give it a couple months of being very strict low carb, get your blood levels stabilized and the weight loss going. Once you are happy with where you are you can start to experiment a bit with adding different foods using your meter. This is sustainable
in the long term.

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, at least you are starting to make a change :) eat to live not live to eat is what I tell myself if I fancy something thats high in carbs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, at least you are starting to make a change :) eat to live not live to eat is what I tell myself if I fancy something thats high in carbs.
Once you get serious about low carb and get your bs in order the weight will drop off. Great incentive!! Also your taste buds will change and sweets may be too sweet. I prefer fat !!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
e189fd82a4776eae8f2cfd90d570cfa7_thumb.jpg

My family found these for me to try - very low in carbs... Wondering if anyone has tried these before? If they are good would be an amazing substitute for rice! We used to tend to have a lot of stirfrys with noodles and various rice and chicken dishes - cut down on them since been strict with carb intake pre-pregnancy.