medtronic780g

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Hoping to get some insight into the Medtronic 780g insulin pump. I have had a discussion with my consultant today and he has advised he thinks I will really benefit from a CGM system and this is the one he recommended. He’s has asked me to do some research and when I see him next hopefully have made my mind up.
A little bit about where I am. I’ve been diagnosed T1 for 4 years, and have always struggled keeping my blood sugars stable however over the last few months things have really spiralled and now have super high highs and even lower lows with practically no hypo awareness - I’m looking for Pros and Cons of living with an insulin pump so that I can look at a rounded experience. All of the websites really big the pump up so want some first hand experience

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hi Stephen

I have just added a comment to my thread called Medtronic 780g + Guardian 4, I think I started the thread on 16th September. You might find it a little helpful, although it will not include everything you will need to know and i do waffle a bit.

Pumps do definitely seem the way forward, now more so than ever that technology is improving.

Pros:
Definitely more control over your basal rates.
Probably more inclined to bolus when snacking
Takes the faff out of carb:insulin ratio calculations
No MDI set changes are every 3 days (7 day set changes are coming though!)

Cons:
Depending on what type you are tethered to a rather bulky machine
Pump failure does come with a high chance or DKA

Another function of being on a pump is that your team can see all your data, depending on my control and mind set this can sometimes be a pro and other times a con!

Are you using the Libre? This may help somewhat in the meantime while you decide about a pump.

Thanks
Michelle

Last edited: