Metformin how long does it stay in body after giving it up?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My lose tummy stops or is relieved within missing 2 or 3 sessions of metformin taking. Lately I stopped mine for a week and added a few lbs I guess but on weighing I'd not lost nor added. I resumed tablets very very slowly until back on max dose.
Just getting over a hypo which tells me I can reduce my basal now which I had increased to accommodate no metformin.
So all in all 2-3weeks were involved for me too.

Shelley6255

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just wondered why you were doing fasting if you were not keen on it
I was keen on fasting but concerned about taking Metformin at the same time as it was causing more digestive disturbances and my blood meter readings were going lower at 4.7 to 5.2 I really enjoyed the fasting once I stopped Metformin and meter readings went up nearer 5.2 to 5.5 I loved additional weight loss and feelings of clarity and energy I had. I’m now back on standard LCHF on three meals a day and losing weight more gently only want to lose a couple more pounds now as at high end of ideal weight for height. My meter readings currently more 5.6 to 6.2 which is why I asked Metformin question but think it may be down to stress or exercise as still mainly around 20g of carb a day and 30 as a max

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was keen on fasting but concerned about taking Metformin at the same time as it was causing more digestive disturbances and my blood meter readings were going lower at 4.7 to 5.2 I really enjoyed the fasting once I stopped Metformin and meter readings went up nearer 5.2 to 5.5 I loved additional weight loss and feelings of clarity and energy I had. I’m now back on standard LCHF on three meals a day and losing weight more gently only want to lose a couple more pounds now as at high end of ideal weight for height. My meter readings currently more 5.6 to 6.2 which is why I asked Metformin question but think it may be down to stress or exercise as still mainly around 20g of carb a day and 30 as a max
I take Metformin but have never done any fasting. I am already really slim miss a days meals and I would loose weight. I have had a bad cold recently not eaten much for few days so have lost some weight now it will take me ages to put that back on

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reacted very badly to the Metformin and statins I took for about 5 weeks, the side effect took months to go, but I did not see anything detrimental when I stopped taking the tablets.
As I was able to leave the house with more confidence it might have been becoming more active perhaps but I was still using walking poles as I was so unsteady on my feet right up until Spring arrived and I stopped taking them just before Christmas.

Shelley6255

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I reacted very badly to the Metformin and statins I took for about 5 weeks, the side effect took months to go, but I did not see anything detrimental when I stopped taking the tablets.
As I was able to leave the house with more confidence it might have been becoming more active perhaps but I was still using walking poles as I was so unsteady on my feet right up until Spring arrived and I stopped taking them just before Christmas.
Thank you Resurgam I too didn’t cope with statins in fact it was having statins prescribedin May this year at my review that made me think about the road I was going down with increased meds’ and led me after a couple of months to LCHF I’m off the statins and Metformin and enjoying what I eat so much more than I did. Pleased you are improving

Shelley6255

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take Metformin but have never done any fasting. I am already really slim miss a days meals and I would loose weight. I have had a bad cold recently not eaten much for few days so have lost some weight now it will take me ages to put that back on
Main motivator for me was weight loss closely followed by blood sugar can see it would not be good if you are already slim