Metformin

nuttynay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

How does everyone get on with metformin? Gives me terrible migraines. Im lucky at the moment i only have to take one metformin tablet a day at breakfast and no more meds .

Nathan

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have no problem with it at all. I've also discovered I tolerate it just fine on an empty stomach (YMMV). I take 500mg twice a day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hated it ...constant trips to the loo so gave it up. Now diet controlled don't need it anymore thankfully.

Reactions: pleinster

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did persevere for 11 weeks as I was told it has lots of benefits. I had headaches, nausea and frantic runs to the loo. It never showed any real plus for me so I don't take it now.
There is a slow release version which may be kinder to you.. more expensive, hence the reason for GP's not prescribing it first.
I wouldn't like to ignore migraines.. if you think the Metformin is causing them please tell your GP

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi,

How does everyone get on with metformin? Gives me terrible migraines. Im lucky at the moment i only have to take one metformin tablet a day at breakfast and no more meds .

Nathan
I have no trouble with metformin.

Are you sure it is the metformin causing your migraines? I was reading recently that insulin resistance can lead to low magnesium levels and low magnesium levels can cause migraines. Might be worth checking out.

Reactions: Johnjoe13

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on the same dose and I've had no problems with it, like all medicines we each react differently. Should these migraines persist then speak to your GP or Diabetic Nurse, no point in suffering.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was unable to tolerate metformin for similar reasons to yourself. Now on Canaglifloxin.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have now restarted metformin, it has a small impact on BG, but noticeable. Hope I don't suffer the side effects again

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am okay on metformin if I dont take it my average morning blood glucose goes up from around 5.5 to around 7 mmol so I Think it is worth taking .. But I do take my whole dose in the morning as I used to go to the toilet 3-4-5 times every night since taking metformin over the whole day and the problem was solved by that 2x850 grams the whole dose at once just when I wake up . No other side effective till now

I probably could manage without metformin But Then I"d have to go from eating 120-160 grams of carbs a day til maybe under 50 grams