Mio Advanced Issues

Kerr12071992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good Afternoon!

Quick question, has anyone else had issues with the Mio Advanced not reducing their BG levels? I never really made the transition to the Mio Advanced when the first appeared as I found them much easier to pull off for some reason so I just stuck with the Mio as I didn't have any major issues with it.

I noticed in my order this month though that I have a large batch of Advanced and when I check my purchase history, it appears my order has been amended from Medtronic to add these.

So I think what I am asking is has anyone else had this problem? Am I maybe reading into something that doesn't exist? or should I go back to medtronic and ask for Mio's as the Advanced ones aren't working for me.

I have found a Mio lurking in my car glove box so have done a switch to see what difference is.

Reactions: PaulaFox

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I noticed in my order this month though that I have a large batch of Advanced and when I check my purchase history, it appears my order has been amended from Medtronic to add these.

So I think what I am asking is has anyone else had this problem? Am I maybe reading into something that doesn't exist? or should I go back to medtronic and ask for Mio's as the Advanced ones aren't working for me.

I believe they have discontinued the Mio's thus the reason you're now on the Mio Advanced - they sent out an email in June last year saying it would happen, and I'm pretty sure I got a number of reminders about it (I used the mios for a short while at some point) - both through email and the medtronic site

Personally I don't have issues with the MioAdvanced for the vast majority of the time

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I tried the mio when using the Medtonic 640g but had adverse reactions to the teflon as well as kinked sets, so now use steel tip sets - never had an issue since.

Kerr12071992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe they have discontinued the Mio's thus the reason you're now on the Mio Advanced - they sent out an email in June last year saying it would happen, and I'm pretty sure I got a number of reminders about it (I used the mios for a short while at some point) - both through email and the medtronic site

Personally I don't have issues with the MioAdvanced for the vast majority of the time
hmmm... that's concerning.

Maybe its just a coincidence regarding the BG levels. Its just weird that I rarely crept above the 10mmols with the Mio but now with the Mio Advanced I can end up with a upward trend that doesn't level regardless of the amount of insulin given. Essentially I feel like I'm constantly correcting.

@Juicyj I never even thought of the kinked set thing, I always used the shortest cable before (40cm I think) so it was never an issue but notice the advanced is a minimum of 60cm length so I might be more prone to kinking or damaging the set.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
hmmm... that's concerning.

Maybe its just a coincidence regarding the BG levels. Its just weird that I rarely crept above the 10mmols with the Mio but now with the Mio Advanced I can end up with a upward trend that doesn't level regardless of the amount of insulin given. Essentially I feel like I'm constantly correcting.

@Juicyj I never even thought of the kinked set thing, I always used the shortest cable before (40cm I think) so it was never an issue but notice the advanced is a minimum of 60cm length so I might be more prone to kinking or damaging the set.
Tbh the set length isn’t the issue it’s the fact the tiny plastic tube that goes under the skin doesn’t insert correctly so causes an issue with insulin absorption it can get blocked or bends, needless to say it doesn’t happen with steel tips, so worth trying these instead.

Kerr12071992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tbh the set length isn’t the issue it’s the fact the tiny plastic tube that goes under the skin doesn’t insert correctly so causes an issue with insulin absorption it can get blocked or bends, needless to say it doesn’t happen with steel tips, so worth trying these instead.
Can you show me what they look like?

Kerr12071992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Scratch that, found it.

Do we need approval for those from our HCP?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good Afternoon!

Quick question, has anyone else had issues with the Mio Advanced not reducing their BG levels? I never really made the transition to the Mio Advanced when the first appeared as I found them much easier to pull off for some reason so I just stuck with the Mio as I didn't have any major issues with it.

I have found a Mio lurking in my car glove box so have done a switch to see what difference is.
When I first started using the Mio Advance, I had high blood sugars and the set didn't seem very stable. I watched what was happening when I removed the white tape before inserting the Mio Advance and noticed that the sticky tape tended to curl back and stick to itself, thus leaving less surface area to stick to the skin. After this I was much more careful when removing the white tape. After this the set looked and felt more stable but I still got high BGs on the first day. It was then that I tried raising the Fill Cannula amount from 0.6 units to 0.7. That dealt with my high BGs on the first day.

I preferred the Mio but am now ok about the MA, except that I sometimes have difficulty pressing the white button to insert the set. After several tries it eventually works but there have been a couple of occasions when I felt like throwing the set at the wall!

Kerr12071992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I first started using the Mio Advance, I had high blood sugars and the set didn't seem very stable. I watched what was happening when I removed the white tape before inserting the Mio Advance and noticed that the sticky tape tended to curl back and stick to itself, thus leaving less surface area to stick to the skin. After this I was much more careful when removing the white tape. After this the set looked and felt more stable but I still got high BGs on the first day. It was then that I tried raising the Fill Cannula amount from 0.6 units to 0.7. That dealt with my high BGs on the first day.

I preferred the Mio but am now ok about the MA, except that I sometimes have difficulty pressing the white button to insert the set. After several tries it eventually works but there have been a couple of occasions when I felt like throwing the set at the wall!
Thanks for your viewpoint @dancer. You know what, I never even factored in that different sets will have different canula fill amounts. I know the nurses will have told me this but its likely one of those things that goes into a deep part of the brain never to be recollected again haha.

That might also help though so I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: dancer