Mushrooms.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You learn something new every day - I had no idea you could get frozen mushrooms ... or that they freeze as I thought they may be too watery.

In return for the education, I'll just add tarragon. Mushrooms and tarragon are a match made in heaven.

Frozen muchrooms are cheaper then fresh, but they are watery, hence they are great for soaps etc, but not for salads or a fry up.

I did not have any tarragon, but tandoori powder has a lot of tarragon in it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mushroom and thyme soup with some added double cream is very nice

Last edited:
Reactions: TIANDB

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Chopped up bacon, little-chopped onion, garlic puree. Take the stalk out of a large mushroom put the ingredients in, top with grated cheese and put into the oven yummy

Reactions: miszu

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frozen muchrooms are cheaper then fresh, but they are watery, hence they are great for soaps
Probably better for washing with than eating!
I like a big field mushroom with my breakfast, remove stalk, replace with knob of butter and microwave for about 2 mins.

Reactions: batgirl2708

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found out recently (from insulinogenic tables that someone posted on here) that even though they're low carb, mushrooms are quite high on the insulinogenic table :(

A bit disappointing, because I love them, they're one of my staple foods that I eat pretty much every day, in one form or another. Haven't decided yet whether to cut back on them or not ...:bigtears:

...... Meantime, I really must try some of these recipes :)

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Raw in a vinegarette dressing. They ‘cook’.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found out recently (from insulinogenic tables that someone posted on here) that even though they're low carb, mushrooms are quite high on the insulinogenic table

I don't know how much to trust these insulinogenic tables as I don't know if the experiments have been repeated by a 2nd team. They don't match my understanding of the science, but that may be due to my understanding being wrong, or the science being wrong....

Also does adding cream change the insulin response?

If only we could all have our own insulin meters, but some with a ketones meter may be able to see if their ketones reduce when they eat a lot of mushrooms.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found out recently (from insulinogenic tables that someone posted on here) that even though they're low carb, mushrooms are quite high on the insulinogenic table :(

A bit disappointing, because I love them, they're one of my staple foods that I eat pretty much every day, in one form or another. Haven't decided yet whether to cut back on them or not ...:bigtears:

...... Meantime, I really must try some of these recipes :)

Yes, they are high on the insulin index. However, so are cucumbers! I won't be cutting back on mushrooms and I don't eat cucumber. :)

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love mushrooms. Though they are high on the insulin response graph are they not? So not so good for type 2's with insulin resistance apparently.

Fried in butter and with eggs and bacon on a Sunday morning - yummy.

Reactions: ziggy_w

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Yes, they are high on the insulin index. However, so are cucumbers! I won't be cutting back on mushrooms and I don't eat cucumber. :)
Nor me either. They do not raise my BG levels or have hindered my weight loss

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Somehow, I don't think I'll be making any decision on mushroom cut-back any time soon (nor cucumbers for that matter!).

I reckon on balance the good
Low in carbs. Low in Cals. Vitamin rich and contain good antioxidants.

outweighs the bad (if any)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They do raise my bg. I can eat the same meal without them and the same with and I rise every time I eat them. Still love them though! Especially in my gravy base.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have relative whos an alternative health practitioner - in their eyes mushroom are a fungus and should be avoided at all costs - we’ve had to agree to differ on that one

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you made it? It freezes well too but gets a bit waterier. Then just a dollop of butter! Oh darn

Sure have - several times! Don't mind the 'bit waterier' when it comes out the freezer, most stuff gets a little waterier anyway, so I just take that into account in whatever I'm doing with it. Sometimes add butter, or cream, even a bit of yogurt on occasion - whatever's at hand, really.