My Atkins Life

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes you have to just do all the bad parent things.... I used to make junior a bottle of diluted squash , give him some crisps and a bread bun then pop him in front of his favourite DVD and let him calm himself down. Harder I know with two, but maybe just shut the door and go in bath for half an hour if they are old enough to be left unattended? I wish I could say it gets easier, but as my son is on autistic spectrum at 20 he invades your privacy as much as he did at 6- love him to bits but sometimes my head hurts from listening to his 24/7 chatter and noise. Do you have any family support for a breather?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Does your council run any school holiday clubs or activities you could drop the kiddies into for a couple of hours?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys! I just needed to rant.

Local schools do holiday club but it's £35 for 10-4 for my two so I can't afford it as I'm not working. My mum gave me some money to put them in a few days over the summer so I can have quiet time in a couple of weeks to do stuff I want to - nothing special - just decluttering the house and sorting out our arts and crafts stuff. And clear out the garage finally.

Afternoon was awful then better thanks to the worst party in the world then into another party BBQ that was so relaxing! I got to have a nice Saturday in the end! Even had some BBQ chicken which I love, and a quarter of a slice of garlic bread. So rebellious.

Just took bloods - 6.5 so that's ok.

Will have some yoghurt and strawbs later. This is the first yoghurt for 2.5 weeks! Yummmmm

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ethyl. I think you're right but I feel like I can't give in! My mum doesn't live nearby so that's not an option and I don't really have anyone who can relieve me as they've got their own kids etc.

I used to have lots of kids over for play dates but the mums never returned the favour so I stopped doing it so much.

I'll try to do something creative tonight to relax me although I'm exhausted!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So much for relaxing! I've just stabbed myself in my palm!!

Ouch

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had the weekend from hell and yesterday was the peak of all stresses due to me wanting to make pretty cupcakes and keepsakes for my daughters' teachers. It took a few hours of planning a couple of weeks ago but still spent ALL day in the kitchen with the girls baking and decorating. Finally delivered everything before school drop off including a little thank you present for the lollipop lady and office staff who I expect often get overlooked!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405326975.385769.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405326990.035759.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405327001.919003.jpg

Anyway, they were all really pleased so I guess it was worth it in the end.

Now just got to sort out the aftermath - messy kitchen and too high fasting BG!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow Debs, they look soooooooooooo beautiful. What a clever lady you are. I'll tell you a secret now. I am 66 years old and have only ever baked one cake in my entire life, which was a disaster. Heavier than a breeze block! And well done for thinking of the office staff.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks titty!! Next weekend is my else's t's bday so it'll be another weekend of baking but easier as they're all going to be the same but I've got to make a big cake too which is not my forte in the cake decorating world!

I think diet and BG could go crazy next week...

trevoroq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been on low carbs for just over a week lost about 3 K but it has slowed down ,most days under 20g carbs, Calories 1000 to 1600 On 1500 Metformin and having some side effects loose stools dry mouth drinking loads of water and now got a UTI going to docs today for antibiotics drop in energy as well havent excersized in 2 days feel like s**t, Bg fast 7.5 2hours later 8.5

trevoroq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on low carbs for just over a week ,when i was diognosed with T2 i have lost about 3 kilos in that time but the weight loss has started to slow down I am on Metformin 1500 ( 1 in morning 2 at dinnertime) I have had loose stools and dry mouth ,been drinking loads of water and now have UTI off to docs for antibiotics today. Been just under 20g carbs per day an 1000 to 1600 cals per day must admit dont feel right , low energy stomach ache ,going to see if i can get slow release Metformin when i go to docs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had the weekend from hell and yesterday was the peak of all stresses due to me wanting to make pretty cupcakes and keepsakes for my daughters' teachers. It took a few hours of planning a couple of weeks ago but still spent ALL day in the kitchen with the girls baking and decorating. Finally delivered everything before school drop off including a little thank you present for the lollipop lady and office staff who I expect often get overlooked!

View attachment 5855View attachment 5856View attachment 5857

Anyway, they were all really pleased so I guess it was worth it in the end.

Now just got to sort out the aftermath - messy kitchen and too high fasting BG!

Beautiful cakes and bag! Absolutely lovely!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on low carbs for just over a week ,when i was diognosed with T2 i have lost about 3 kilos in that time but the weight loss has started to slow down I am on Metformin 1500 ( 1 in morning 2 at dinnertime) I have had loose stools and dry mouth ,been drinking loads of water and now have UTI off to docs for antibiotics today. Been just under 20g carbs per day an 1000 to 1600 cals per day must admit dont feel right , low energy stomach ache ,going to see if i can get slow release Metformin when i go to docs

Hi Trev,

Don't worry - it will pass! You are having what sounds like low carb flu, plus the UTI must be making you feel so rough.

I found that the best way to ease myself through carb flu was to up my protein and fat for a few days, just until the symptoms ease off. Maybe a slice or two of cheddar as a snack, or an extra sausage at brekkie, or a dash of cream in coffee. You'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes - and it's only for a day or two...

Are you having headaches? If so, a painkiller (with yet another glass of water!) is quite marvellous.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first went low carb, I had three days of headaches but after that I was ok. Are you actually eating enough? 1000 cals is not much.

I don't count calories - just stick to 25g carbs a day via veg and strawbs, and add fat wherever possible.

You need to make sure you are eating adequately. And drink water water water. This is my down point for sure!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And pork scratchings are my current godsend at the moment! Yummmm

trevoroq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got an average of 1500 cals , I only check cals to see iam eating enough, went to docs today , def got UTI got antibiotics for a week , I told her I was having problems , dry mouth , headache etc, she said what med are you on ? ( the diabetic nurse put me on the metformin ) I told her 1500mg per day , she said stop only take one per day then add one per week should not have been on 1500 straight away, she also told me I had ketones in my urine which was great news and my BG is down from 10.5 to 7.5 fasting then 8.5 after food also got free machine and 50 strips on prescription not a bad day eh

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow lucky you! My docs abandoned me and wouldn't do anything. Hopefully you'll find that low carbing will sort your BG out anyway and you won't need the met any more.

X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a day! I've been so busy building my bag decorating empire, I've forgotten to eat and haven't really thought about weigh in tomorrow.

For some reason in not expecting much of a loss, if anything tomorrow. I've been pretty good, except for Sunday when I had a cupcake but stayed in ketosis so wasn't too worried.

Finally after a few stressful days of being back in the 6s for fasting BG, I'm now back into 5s. Hope that continues....

The fridge is practically bare which is never a good strategy when dieting. I really must get to the shops tomorrow before temptation strikes.

X

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So ****** off. Weigh in said I'd put on a kilo this week! I just don't understand why. Haven't drunk enough water and haven't cooked like normal so that could be a reason but I'm annoyed as I've not cheated apart from one cupcake a and that shouldn't put on a kilo!

Still can't exercise due to back/leg but my scan is in aug so I'll now what's going on then...