My Atkins Life

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's water retention and not drinking enough - your body holds on to fluids for both reasons. Wheat flour makes me blow up like a blimp.

Drink masses of extra water for a day or two and it will disappear. Promise.

Are you drinking enough? Should be about 1 litre per 5 stone body weight (approx) every day. And I personally don't count coffee in that total, cos its a diuretic, and seems counter productive to do so!

Demoralising, isn't it? Hug.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope so!!! Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hot one today which means severe dehydration for me and moody kids to contend with when all I really want to do is get busy building my bag website!

The good thing is I've not had a chance to think about food, bad news is, it means I need to have a well stocked fridge with Atkins friendly quick fixes!'. On days like this, I really miss the convenience of carbs. A slice of toast or a toasted cheese sarnie would've filled a serious void earlier, however I dealt with it by having.....salad! And for dinner.....salad.

Dessert will be another staple - sugar free jelly and cream once the rotters are in snoozeville, and then finally I can put my business hat on and focus in peace and quiet!

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My lowest reading EVER today! 5.1 FBG! Very pleased with that. Wondering if I'd ever be able to get it down to the mid 4s?!

A busy day ahead of me building my bag empire, looking after kids and getting ready for my soon to be 6 year old'a party on Sunday!

Xxxx

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks titty!!! Xxx

Life is quite good right now although I'm not as skinny as I'd like to be!!

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This heat has been awful for me today. I'm not losing weight, leg hurts a lot and I keep cramping up. Not good plus the gabapentin the doc put me on is now making me randomly twitch in my legs!

Grrrrrr

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has it affected your BS? I've had a bad day BS wise and can only put it down to the heat.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I meant to test but haven't been able to get timings right as so much stuff going on right now. The last two weeks in July are my worst time of the year!

I'll try to test tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if my BG is up x

trevoroq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, My wife is also on this diet with me, i have lost a total of 4.3 kilos over 2 weeks this ok for me as it keeps going down, but my wifes weigbt loss has come to a halt, ive just realised that she is taking Orlistat that reduces fat intake , would this be the reason ? ,i think it may be .

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Glad it's going well for you!

Have a look at the book - it lists drugs that inhibit weightloss. I know one of mine isn't good and I'm aiming to get off it come October.

Keep up the good work!

Xxx

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You can try to supplement with magnesium citrate (not oxide) if you have regular leg cramps.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks modesty! I take potassium and magnesium but this heat is making me cramp - I expect it's dehydration xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've really blown it today! Didn't even really want it but found myself teaching for the Oreos and two cupcakes for the birthday party tomorrow...stupid and I regret it now but at least I won't eat loads tomorrow.

Carbs are the new sleeping pill! I could collapse into a deep sleep right now...

Here's tomorrow's temptation...

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1405806564.858488.jpg

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having consumed my own body weight with KFC, I'm
Now wondering how much would actually be allowed on Atkins! I'm sure I've more than passed the limit!

Had a great party for my six year old and it's been a really good day.

:)

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm disappointed in myself for being such a flake last night. I could blame the kids for being off on holiday and driving me insane. I could blame the weather for making me lathargic. I could just throw in the towel and remain defeatist.

But I won't.

I take full responsibility for my actions which were considered and well thought through. I didn't decide on a whim to do it - I pondered it for hours. The 'you're only prediabetic' devil on my shoulder made me do it!

So now what? Well a record fasting BG of 6.7 is enough to shake sense into me and start again today. Slipping is human. So I am starting again from today.

I need to be more on my game during this heat but truth is, I don't want to cook while sweating like a pig! I also don't want to add to my housework which has increased ten fold since the girls haven't been at school. I wish I was more domestically gifted in the cleaning area but really I see it as a lesser priority to being a hands on mum, home worker and generally all round, good egg! (Even if I do say so myself).

So I'm off to big myself up and have a stern word with myself (again), as soon as I've dusted, hoovered and done the dishes :)

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's true. Can't help but think and regret if I'm honest, all the 'tomorrows' I've given myself my whole life!!!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always struggle with this myself- of course you just need to put it behind you and start afresh today but like you, I think that one day tomorrow has to be today. Next time the little imp on your shoulder starts goading you, try and remember how bad the blowout made you feel, both physically and emotionally and show it who's boss. I it is easy for me to say as my son is 20 and I have a husband and neither of us now work, but if you could maybe spend a day making food that you could eat for the week then you have something quick to grab when temptation strikes. A home made Chinese is doable and far less money and additives than a trip to the takeaway. I know you know all this, and I'm not trying to be preachy- a lot of this advice is what I need to hear myself as some days I keep thinking that X wouldn't hurt, just this once. It probably wouldn't , but I know I'm not a just once kinda gal so need to be strict with myself till I can get back into the size 12 mini skirt hanging in my wardrobe. Who cares if I'll look like Madonna's granny!