My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But Jason Fung says the opposite. You need to fast to reduce insulin resistance which will in turn lower bg. Plus all my meals are pretty much non-spikers so I'm a bit perplexed....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting is certainly doing wonders for some of us.

And as for the FBG, as someone who woke up with a FBG of nearly 9 this morning, for no reason whatsoever, I have decided to just put it down to one of the mysteries of the universe, and just carry on.
:(
And I will be well miffed if it means I am starting a cold.
:mad:

Reactions: 10 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow Brun! How random. I was up three times with sick daughter in the night. I'm excited to try new drugs to see if getting a proper block of sleep has an impact....

X

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
BG really is one of life's little mysteries! I woke up to FBG of 6.1, took the dogs for a brisk hour long walk and when I got home it had gone up to 6.6 which is a PITA as I am fasting today and I hate starting off a fast day with a (for me) high number.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think when we exercise, we make energy ready to deal with it so get a rise. It's annoying!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a lovely stress free day at home with youngest who threw up at school yesterday so I had to take day off. Went for a nice long walk which helped up the steps!

L: bacon and scrambled eggs. Coffee.

D: lamb stew, cauli mash, sprouts. Water. Cheesecake fluff with three strawberries, washed down with a tea.

Also picked up my new drugs to try. Have two new ones so can start one tonight and the other from Friday in case there's any issue. I'm a bit apprehensive but if it helps, I don't care! I just don't want to be walking around like a zombie!! X

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debmcgee - not sure what your new meds are but if you're trying amitriptyline I should mention that I felt nauseous for the first few days but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Good luck - hopefully once you get the pain/sleep sorted out you'll see some better fasting levels :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning.

Safi - last night was first go at double slow release tramadol which did make a bit of a difference but not as much as I'd hoped. Doc advised me to start amitriptaline at the weekend so I get a couple of days to adjust. I'm wondering if I should hold off til half term...but I'm getting so desperate for sleep. Thanks for the heads up!

X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day at work so no time to stray. Could have done better on the water front...

L: chicken, cauli mash, broccoli, dollop Branston. Cinnamon, pumpkin seed yoghurt. Diet Coke.

D: courgetti. Water.

I've decided to try and start testing food again to make sure I'm not spiking without realising. Tricky to do at work so will focus on dinner meals for now. Tonight's was fine so that can stay on the menu

madonis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi
I've started this so that I am accountable for my progress which is more likely going to make me stay on track. I'll put my bg's on here as well as details of foods I'm eating and what fasting I've done.

I've been back on low carb for a week now and today was the first day of testing:

FBG: 8.8 (2 hours after waking and before food).
B: 3 scrambled eggs and 3 rasher streaky bacon. Coffee with DC.
PM Snack: 3/4 Lidl protein roll with butter and pate. Small glass Diet Pepsi.
D: chicken, broccoli, cauli mash, gravy.
Just been diagnosed pre diabetic this week. All confusing at the moment, don't quite understand how eating hi fat diet loses you weight. Am impressed with what you have done, your meals seem right up my street. ARE spuds and a bag of crisps a day ok?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat doesn't make you Fat.

Fat does contain twice as many Calories than Carbs so you have to be mindful of how much you consume, but Fat also satisfies hunger quicker, so you will end up eating far less.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@madonis

I am very low carb and you'll hardly ever see crisps or potatoes pass my lips.

If you need to start somewhere - take a look at www.dietdoctor.com who explains it nicely.

I was super sceptical about LCHF for months but it really is a great diet. I'm never hungry, meals are lovely and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything. The first time I did it, the weight dropped off so easily. I can't recommend it enough.

D x

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good day yesterday. Thought I'd posted last night but didn't - clearly the new pills have sent me doolallie!!

L: sausage and cauli mash. Water and some yoghurt and with pumpkin seeds

D: quarter pounder on cheese. Diet Coke.

Last edited by a moderator:

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am encouraged by your if dieting with LCHF. I have 18 kgs to loose and I am type2. I have been on lcHF DIET NOW FOR 3AND HALF MONTHS, My BG is more or less under control. I Started 16:8 4 days back. No change in the blld sugar and weight,this mornings blood sugar 1 hr after coffee and cream

Last edited by a moderator:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stick with it and Im sure you will see it start to come down. It sometimes takes your body time to adjust.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am encouraged by your if dieting with LCHF. I have 18 kgs to loose and I am type2. I have been on lcHF DIET NOW FOR 3AND HALF MONTHS, My BG is more or less under control. I Started 16:8 4 days back. No change in the blld sugar and weight,this mornings blood sugar 1 hr after coffee and cream

When do you take your morning bg? It should be upon waking.

Caffeine can raise bg so that could explain the higher reading?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I am not so sure it matters when you measure, but more that you follow the same routine and measure at the same time so that you have a level and a trend to refer to.

@Clivethedrive does his as soon as his "foot hits the floor" (I think) whereas I never take mine until I've been up and about for 30 minutes or so, but always before I eat or drink anything.

It's fine to take your BG after having a Coffee, but only as long as you take it after a coffee every day, or you will get unreliable readings which won't help you much.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way, now that I have "invaded" your thread, just a quick update on my Fasting progress.

I was following a 6:1 program for a few weeks, and now a 5:2 for the last 3 weeks, and I am now finding that my BG remains quite constant throughout the fasting days, with no peaks or troughs, and I am not finding myself becoming hungry at all as my body get's used to the regime.

Reactions: 6 people