Narrowing my target range

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To celebrate the beginning of my 4th month on the pump I am officially reducing my blood glucose target from 6.0 mmol/L +/- 1.0, to 5.5 +/- 0.5. In other words my target is now 5.0 - 6.0 instead of 5.0 - 7.0.

I am well happy. :)

Reactions: 11 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Crikey Spiker, you are running a tight ship, good luck with staying in that range. What percentage were you getting in your previous range? Just altered mine to 4.5 - 7.8 to keep me on my toes.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Spiker, hope you achieve your goals :)

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Like flowerpot my target range on combo pump is 4.5 to 7.5mmol. The pump should calculate to the middle of the range which is what my fasting target is

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all. I may be being too ambitious but I am giving it a go. I think it's achievable, with the pump and CGM, if I can just stay off the carbs.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Crikey Spiker, you are running a tight ship, good luck with staying in that range. What percentage were you getting in your previous range? Just altered mine to 4.5 - 7.8 to keep me on my toes.
The first time I ran the CGM my target range was 4.0 - 6.0, so this is me "taking it easy". However that first time was a spectacular failure! I just am trying to find the range that is realistic for me to achieve but I may be being really over optimistic. I do suffer from that.

I listened to a Jenny Ruhl talk last night where she says "pick a regime that you can comfortably stick with for 50 years". She is so wise. If it is not sustainable I will cut myself some slack and ease up. Cutting yourself some slack is always better than failing and giving up - this is what I need to learn.

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"Pick a regime you can comfortably stick with for 50 years" is very sound advice, the trouble is I've already spent the last 36 years looking for that elusive regime! I must be more optimistic and search harder.

With a CGM you stand a much better chance of staying in close targets. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just did the same last week and it's going well so far. Hope it works for you too

Thanks! A few hiccups so far but I think it was time to get out of my comfort zone and take it to the next level. It's made me low carb for real and not just play at it. I may yet ease off the tight band, I'm going to see how it goes. I might go with 4-6 instead of 5-6.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I'd prefer a tight band than my lowest range being 4. Wouldn't you worry about hypos then?

Yeah that was my thinking too, at first, but now I am thinking 4.0 may be safe as a lower limit because I am low carbing and my actual hypo point will shift lower (not just my hypo symptoms trigger point).

If I was not low carbing I agree, I would definitely keep the lower edge of the band no lower than 5.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To celebrate the beginning of my 4th month on the pump I am officially reducing my blood glucose target from 6.0 mmol/L +/- 1.0, to 5.5 +/- 0.5. In other words my target is now 5.0 - 6.0 instead of 5.0 - 7.0.

I am well happy. :)
is that pre-meal or all readings?

Why not lower for pre-meal say 4.5-5.5 except when driving?

Good to have a target though.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's all readings. With low carb done properly I don't have big post meal rises.

But I think I am going to have to go wider than a 1 mmol /L range. Too ambitious!

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow you are very strict with yourself a 1mmol range must be extremely hard to cope with. Im on a pregnancy 4-5.9 pre meal target but looking forward to not being so horrendously strict with myself after baby arrives never mind about aiming for this everyday for the rest of my life! How do you manage with driving with such low targets?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, it's more a target than a reality. But I figure if I set a stricter target, my actual results will be better too. It stops me being complacent. With my target of 5-6, I have managed to stop my BG ever getting to 8 (so far!).