need help with cholesterol results!

wanipuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys i got my yearly blood test results back for a medical i had done i know i have a fatty liver due to medication as i don't drink but the cholesterol bit i dont get i have copied and pasted the results below can sum1 please read them and explain or simply tell me if its good or bad etc thank you!

Serum lipid levels
Serum cholesterol level 5.3 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 5.14 mmol/L [0.4 - 1.8]
Above high reference limit
Serum HDL cholesterol level 0.8 mmol/L
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 4.5 mmol/L
Serum LDL cholesterol level LDL not available on samples with triglyceride
of 3.50 or greater.
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 6.6

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was this a fasting test? Your triglyceride levels do seem very high and your HDL very low. What does your doctor say about it?

wanipuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I havnt seen my dr as on the results he out no further action needed can u explain it I simple terms for me please about the levels etc

Sent from my E6853 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually you only get accurate triglycerides if the test is fasting. If your test isn't fasting, food can impact the results.

You said you were on medication that was affecting your liver? Can you tell us which medication?

It's not a time when there are many members online, so the more you can tell us about your insulin regime, other medications, diet, A1c results, how long you've been diagnosed with Type 1, etc. the more specific the advice is likely to be.

I'll tag @tim2000s as he is one of the Type 1 moderators at the forum and may be able to help you with more information.

As a Type 2 I really don't know all that much about insulin and any effects it might have on cholesterol.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did find the following quote in an article: "An increased plasma TG and decreased HDL-C concentration is the characteristic dyslipidemia seen in insulin-resistant subjects."

Again, I think if you gave us more information on your insulin regime and other medications, it might provide clues for people here. But in any event, you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Triglyceride levels often track with the amount of carbohydrate consumed in the diet.