Need support plz

Sadnessnormal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Machines
How do I make new friends with type 2 diabetes as am all alone with my diagnosis one month ago. Can't tell family cuz my brother just died as a cause of it. Am so lost

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
I'm not sure if you've had the welcome information from @daisy1
It's quite a shock to begin with but from help on this forum hopefully you won't feel so alone. I'm fortunate I've got supportive family.
If you give us some information about how high your levels are then people on here will be able to make suggestions - we can't give medical advice. Do ask questions and people will try and help.
If you look at the thread Type2 Life
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-2-life.81469/page-45
you can see how some of us say how we are doing and also ask questions and get support. We don't have all the answers and most of us are still learning.
It can be a real wake up call but with a change of diet, weight loss and exercise it can sometimes be managed or drugs may be needed. Ask questions and people will try and answer.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sadnessnormal

Hello and welcome to the forum :) So sorry you are feeling so sad but you are among friends here. As mentioned above, if you are having trouble with your levels, getting them under control could help you to feel better than you feel now. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will try and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

K

Kat100

How do I make new friends with type 2 diabetes as am all alone with my diagnosis one month ago. Can't tell family cuz my brother just died as a cause of it. Am so lost
Your information says 1.5 , there is a support thread for you hope it helps ..

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

Hi...sounds like you are a bit in the darkness and feeling pretty alone with your fears and feelings. I'm new to this community...was diagnosed as Type 2 in April...caused by medication I am on following a kidney transplant. I understand that you feel you can't talk to family...don't want to stress them out and make them feel sad and unable to help you. I promise you're not alone in that anymore than you are alone in coming to terms with having diabetes. There might not seem to be light in that darkness, but there is...but you have to be looking for it sometimes coz it seldom come sup and says hi. This site, this community, is unbelievably helpful, and just joining it will give you hope and feedback and answers and views and probably friends. I joined on Saturday, fished around looking at the forums and then posted a question and got a response practically immediately. I have already increased my knowledge of how to deal with this tenfold and my levels have dropped since I altered my diet to avoid things like bread, potatoes, cereal...high carb foods. You very quickly (after a week or so looking at food labels and saying "Oh Jesus, look how much sugar's in this stuff!") figure out what's no use of you...it's all about keeping your blood sugar levels down to safe levels, and that's definitely more do-able now you are able to ask questions here..ANY questions! You're not lost, pal...just a bit mapless is all. Anyway, I looked at your profile..add some details....by all means protect your privacy but...start being yourself on line with people who have maybe not identical problems, but some shared concerns...and we all have to feel about a bit when the lights go out, yeah? By all means feel free to send a private message my way if you don't want to just open right up but really...start expressing yourself here and it will pay off. I hope your name changes soon..so its maybe "sadsometimes" and then maybe "sadbutok" and then at some point "copingfine". Hope that's not all a bit corny. Don't be afraid to ask whatever...and let people know more - age, type of diabetes, insulin or meds or what? It can only make things easier. Also, one you're comfier knowing how to deal with it, and confident about it, you can probably think about sharing it with family then..and get more help from the people who will want to help any way they can. They would probably not want you dealing with it alone to protect them, would they? So - dive in and explore things. I'm actually enjoying the interaction, and all I need to say to family is - I'm fine. Take care. It's just another chapter is all. :)

Sadnessnormal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Machines
Oh my wow I was not expecting such word full care. Thank you so much. I needs to here those words. I tend to protect myself cuz I keep everything to my self. It's how I am sadly. Am trying to open up to help deal with the loss of my brother and uncle but finding it a bit hard to. In the space of 3 months I have had so much pain didn't know existed. Doctors says I forced my diabetes on me because I was highly stressed out after my brother died. Although it's genetic I didn't have it till then. So I had to deal with death and straight after diagnosed diabetes type 2. I can't tell family because like I said my brother died from it. Well he forced to much on losing weight and not being healthy and that caused his death. My mom has hbp so that sets off all the time since he died and me telling them would make her critically sick.
Am finding though that I need to put my trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as he is the comforter Of all. But sometimes a friend is a help at times which I don't have because am self reserved when it comes to my life. I have friends but not ones I open up to basically. Am 29 by the way and hoping to start a family soon and am terrified as my soon to be husband has no idea of my health yet. 'Sigh' I really don't want this problem

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hoping to start a family soon and am terrified as my soon to be husband has no idea of my health yet. 'Sigh' I really don't want this problem
Blimey, no you don't want this problem or any of the others raining down on you. I hope you feel you can keep talking to us and see how you can turn your life around.
I don't know why but some words came into my head from a Leonard Cohen song, Sisters of Mercy. Forgive me if it's on the wrong track.
Well I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned:
When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned.

Sadnessnormal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Machines
Blimey, no you don't want this problem or any of the others raining down on you. I hope you feel you can keep talking to us and see how you can turn your life around.
I don't know why but some words came into my head from a Leonard Cohen song, Sisters of Mercy. Forgive me if it's on the wrong track.
Well I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned:
When you're not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you've sinned.
Oh my you are way off track.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I apologise. Please disregard what I said and stay with us.
A moderator can delete the post if necessary.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Oh my wow I was not expecting such word full care. Thank you so much. I needs to here those words. I tend to protect myself cuz I keep everything to my self. It's how I am sadly. Am trying to open up to help deal with the loss of my brother and uncle but finding it a bit hard to. In the space of 3 months I have had so much pain didn't know existed. Doctors says I forced my diabetes on me because I was highly stressed out after my brother died. Although it's genetic I didn't have it till then. So I had to deal with death and straight after diagnosed diabetes type 2. I can't tell family because like I said my brother died from it. Well he forced to much on losing weight and not being healthy and that caused his death. My mom has hbp so that sets off all the time since he died and me telling them would make her critically sick.
Am finding though that I need to put my trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as he is the comforter Of all. But sometimes a friend is a help at times which I don't have because am self reserved when it comes to my life. I have friends but not ones I open up to basically. Am 29 by the way and hoping to start a family soon and am terrified as my soon to be husband has no idea of my health yet. 'Sigh' I really don't want this problem

Sometimes, about some thing, it can be easier talking to someone you don't know, and will never meet. Sometimes even just writing stuff down can be therapeutic. So like I said, don't be afraid to message....or to express yourself here. my brother and I inherited a serious kidney condition from my mum, which she blames herself for - like she deliberately did it! I try to tell her she should feel guilty about marrying my dad who I inherited short-sightedness from instead. She had a transplant which eventually rejected, then got cancer so she can't have another transplant - so now she dialysis four times a week. So, neither my brother or I want to say anything much to her about any negative health issues, but she always asks and we ten to say "it's all fine". So, I know about not wanting to stress family. but, they do need to know some things coz they hate finding out later and you haven't told them stuff. You know/ I don't think I could have or maybe even would have gone through the transplant without my wife's support. You need to find a way to tell your future husband....sorry if that sounds like pressure...but..you'd want to know if it was him, yeah? I am married 33 years (ie. since I was 20) and one thing I do know is that your life partner needs to be just that - a partner in everything important - if its gonna be strong enough to endure life's little ****** jokes. I don't have the Jesus thing myself...but if you do that's cool. But - have faith in your partner too. Take care.