New member just told I have type 2

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum :) You have a very low HbA1C to be prescribed that dosage of Metformin but I think it is the standard NHS approach. My Hubby was prescribed the same dosage but his starting HbA1C was 98- bit of a difference ! Definitely get a meter and test yourself before and two hours post eating. Amazon sell the Codefree one for around £12 and I would second the benefits of a gentle walk each day in aiding blood glucose reduction.

Lots of helpful people on here and you will soon be back in control x

Reactions: Discopants9

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum :) You have a very low HbA1C to be prescribed that dosage of Metformin but I think it is the standard NHS approach. My Hubby was prescribed the same dosage but his starting HbA1C was 98- bit of a difference ! Definitely get a meter and test yourself before and two hours post eating. Amazon sell the Codefree one for around £12 and I would second the benefits of a gentle walk each day in aiding blood glucose reduction.

Lots of helpful people on here and you will soon be back in control x
Thank you @Sam50

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is tht the Desmond course? I was diagnosed only 3 weeks ago and I have to wait to 23rd for the course

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
I can't get on a course till November that will be 3 months in

The courses you'll go on will probably provide out dated dietary advice. They will say it is ok to eat carbohydrates so long as they are the 'healthy' versions, wholemeal bread, brown rice etc … Many of us here disagree with that on the basis that all carbs white or brown turn to sugar in our bodies. If you both commence a low carb diet and self monitoring straight away you'll be well on the way to reducing your blood sugars before you even get to your courses.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd second what Rachox said about the Desmond course. Hubby was told to book himself onto one ( waiting list for all our local ones) but after the diabetic nurse told him that it was okay to eat bananas and Rich Tea biscuits:banghead: he decided not to bother. The advice that you will receive from this site is far more relevant and accurate in my opinion :happy:

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The courses you'll go on will probably provide out dated dietary advice. They will say it is ok to eat carbohydrates so long as they are the 'healthy' versions, wholemeal bread, brown rice etc … Many of us here disagree with that on the basis that all carbs white or brown turn to sugar in our bodies. If you both commence a low carb diet and self monitoring straight away you'll be well on the way to reducing your blood sugars before you even get to your courses.

Got a monitor yesterday, was 10.8 when I went to bed last night, bloods this morning was 6.7 tested again 2hrs later after breakfast and was 6.1 which seems strange, had weetabix and coffee

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That does seem strange to me, but we are all different, keep testing and keep a diary and soon patterns should emerge to keep you between 4-7 all day

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a monitor yesterday, was 10.8 when I went to bed last night, bloods this morning was 6.7 tested again 2hrs later after breakfast and was 6.1 which seems strange, had weetabix and coffee
Those results are a bit askew from what would be expected. Just one point, did you wash your hands before each test to ensure they are as accurate as possible?

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those results are a bit askew from what would be expected. Just one point, did you wash your hands before each test to ensure they are as accurate as possible?
I did wash which does make it all strange, still early days and lots of learning for me todo - maybe have to write off these results and start again tomorrow

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think you should write them off, it is all data and when you repeatedly test meals you get a clearer idea how they affect you along with sleep, stress, exercise and meal timings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wash which does make it all strange, still early days and lots of learning for me todo - maybe have to write off these results and start again tomorrow

Also, if you get an unexpected result, which is not within your normal range for those circumstances, it is worth doing one or two re-tests. We always get a few rogue readings for one reason or another. If it is within your normal range, then this is not necessary. This includes lower than expected readings as well as higher than expected. Of course, you don't yet know what your normal range is (you will do before long), so if it is a weird reading in some way, then re-test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, if you get an unexpected result, which is not within your normal range for those circumstances, it is worth doing one or two re-tests. We always get a few rogue readings for one reason or another. If it is within your normal range, then this is not necessary. This includes lower than expected readings as well as higher than expected. Of course, you don't yet know what your normal range is (you will do before long), so if it is a weird reading in some way, then re-test.
Indeed, I got excited for a moment the other day when my blood sugar on waking was 4.2! It's always in the 5s when I wake up. I retested and sure enough it was 5.4!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed, I got excited for a moment the other day when my blood sugar on waking was 4.2! It's always in the 5s when I wake up. I retested and sure enough it was 5.4!

Yep, similar happened to me before tea the other day. It was 3.2. Shame the re-test showed 4.6!

S

serenity648

My body does this weird thing sometimes where it releases glucose before i eat, then, 2 hours after eating, my blood level are lower than before I ate. It is mainly in the morning when it does that. Maybe that happening to you? Its like my body send a load of glucose to get me going, then realizes food has happened, and switches of the extra glucose. I think, this is just a theory based on what happens to me.

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My body does this weird thing sometimes where it releases glucose before i eat, then, 2 hours after eating, my blood level are lower than before I ate. It is mainly in the morning when it does that. Maybe that happening to you? Its like my body send a load of glucose to get me going, then realizes food has happened, and switches of the extra glucose. I think, this is just a theory based on what happens to me.

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds like a good theory, only my first readings and by the sounds of people's experience I need a few more before I know what works for me