new question about atkins bars

unigirl

Hi All
Recently diagnosed and decided after looking at advice here to low carb. Have lost 2 stone in last six weeks and delighted. However dont really miss the heavy carbs bread, rice etc but miss chocolate bars.

Have found the atkins endulegence range low carb but as new to all this are these ok in terms of sugar.

Would be grateful for a response.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You need to read the label. You're not looking for sugar, you're looking for total carbohydrates. I don't eat the chocolate range, but I do keep a supply of the Daybreak bars in, for those days when I eat a very quick meal, or need to take a snack with me in the car.

As the Atkins range is designed for a low-carbohydrate diet, it ought to be okay for diabetics too. Use your meter to check, 2 hours after eating. You also need to bear in mind that to achieve the sweetness they use things like polyols - which, if you eat them in large quantities, will go straight through you! :shock:

Much as I love Atkins, I think that the food range is vastly overpriced. Have you tried eating very good quality high cocoa ordinary chocolate? Anything from 70% cocoa solids, upwards. I usually eat the 85% or 90%. Because they have a higher chocolate content they have less sugar, so they are okay in small quantities. Again, read the labels for carb content. Beware, though - if you eat too much in one go, you may well be on the loo again :shock: . The big bars are 100g; eating 20g doesn't hurt. You get a lot of chocolate bang for your buck :D . Once again, it's not cheap, but a bar will (should!) last 5 days. :wink:

Hope this helps

Viv 8)

unigirl

Hi Viv

thanks for that, yeah I agree overpriced but Asda had a deal at a pound each. I tried the slim fast bar yesterday and it was good not as low in carb but not too bad at 15g and 95 calories.

I have not been testing with meter yet as at diagnoses I was upset so I decided I would drive myself crazy. Plan is to get next bloods at Easter see what the result is and take it from there. I am losing weight and exercising so heres hoping.

Thanks again

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You're doing the right things, and with weight loss and exercise you should see a real improvement at your next blood tests. Don't forget to let us know your results. :D

Viv 8)