new to insulin with lots of questions

rototom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm diabetic 2 I been one metaformin 2 a day for about a yr for me not working now so added another tablet called gentamicin but no about a week ago started on insulin with tablet but threw the nite my sugar readings are like 20 21 23ci find it strange in day there hi ish can't get under 10 u can have a hypo if sugar to low or to hi I'm just learning it all my self hope your feeling better

I hardly eat I'm copd on steroids diabetes don't like it but have to have it makes me very big I'm on nova slow release and metaformin on 10 units at mo been on it a week

I can't get under 10 reading fluctuate all day hi evening and nite

I have infection every day been really ill past yr

I was told not to go under about 5 and if u get to 30 it's 999 if hypo accures cos low 5 jelly babies or glucose tabs or the tiny cans coke 200ml 1 of them

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm diabetic 2 I been one metaformin 2 a day for about a yr for me not working now so added another tablet called gentamicin but no about a week ago started on insulin with tablet but threw the nite my sugar readings are like 20 21 23ci find it strange in day there hi ish can't get under 10 u can have a hypo if sugar to low or to hi I'm just learning it all my self hope your feeling better

I hardly eat I'm copd on steroids diabetes don't like it but have to have it makes me very big I'm on nova slow release and metaformin on 10 units at mo been on it a week

I was told not to go under about 5 and if u get to 30 it's 999 if hypo accures cos low 5 jelly babies or glucose tabs or the tiny cans coke 200ml 1 of them
Wow sounds like you do have a lot of problems. You say you are taking Gentamicin which is a very strong antibiotic usually only giving if an infection does not respond to other types and you should be monitored by your doctor to see how it is affecting you could be that it is causing you problems maybe it does not suit you.

Reactions: Janr20

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @rototom :)

You say you started insulin a week ago - is that correct? If so, it's likely your dose was started at slightly less than you need and will be increased if necessary.

My advice is to give your nurse a call and explain about your high readings. You could also ask if the Gentamycin is affecting your blood sugar.

What's the full name of the insulin you're taking and when do you take it?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Rototom,

What Time of day do you inject the "nova slow release" insulin?
I feel you should speak to your nurse or doctor about the high blood levels..

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think the gentamicin may be a mistake, it is a parenterally given antibiotic.
@rototom could you confirm what this drug is please?
Maybe your autocorrect has interfered with your intentions.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Sounds like a real roller coaster ride. You may need to consult with your GP if you feel you are not in full control. Steriods can really put you on the back foot, so be extra cautious.

Reactions: Mitsai