New to me sugar lows

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
In last few weeks I've been having sugar lows. I cannot quite understand why except I've been snacking less. I have libre 2 which alerts to lows of below 4. Early morning to 5.00 ish my alarm keeps going off BS 3.1 to 3.7. I've got glucose tabs takes 2 or 3 to get into BS 4.00. I've just eaten a relatively small tea - I have Stage 4 CKD and cannot eat too much. Anyway my alarm went off again and BS was 3.7. Took 3 glucose and ice lolly - only sweet thing I have - to get sugar up. What do others do?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This happens to me fairly regularly, and I'm aware of several others reporting the same thing, including at least one person who is not diabetic. The issue for me is the associated sweating, vivid dreams, and waking up too early, not the BG fall itself.

I have the abrupt cliff edge fall and then a steady BG climb. I don't take anything "to get my sugars up" as my liver provides enough by itself in a couple of minutes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In last few weeks I've been having sugar lows. I cannot quite understand why except I've been snacking less. I have libre 2 which alerts to lows of below 4. Early morning to 5.00 ish my alarm keeps going off BS 3.1 to 3.7. I've got glucose tabs takes 2 or 3 to get into BS 4.00. I've just eaten a relatively small tea - I have Stage 4 CKD and cannot eat too much. Anyway my alarm went off again and BS was 3.7. Took 3 glucose and ice lolly - only sweet thing I have - to get sugar up. What do others do?
What medication are you on?

Do you take a fingerprick test to confirm those lows? Libre can read too low, especially when asleep.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I'm on 14 mm novomix a day. I felt really shaky and nauseaos with this so thinks its pretty spot on. Got BS up to 4.1 and moved around a bit, but felt rough for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In last few weeks I've been having sugar lows. I cannot quite understand why except I've been snacking less.
I'm on 14 mm novomix a day
With mixed insulins it's really important to keep your eating very regular.
A change of eating habits, like eating less snacks can have a serious impact on the amount of insulin you need.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and Oldvatr