New to Novomix 30

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Started on Novomix 30, with an initial dose of 28 units total to be taken as 14 units at Breakfast and 14 units at Dinner with the instructions to add 2 units per dose every 3 days until levels are in target ...
So far I have increased to 24 units breakfast and 24 units dinner, and still the levels have not altered since I started ...
Will be talking to the nurse when I can get an appointment (usually 3 or 4 weeks), but was wondering how others get on with Novomix and what doses other take..

Also does Novomix always work??? as am most surprised to not see any changes at all so far..

Grahame

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK ... So now up to 80 units a day of Novomix and still no change to my levels at all .. I managed a quick word with the nurse who tells me to keep increasing the units and pumping them in untill the levels drop.???

Are these normal amounts of insulin????

Seems a lot to me...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@greybags - I'm not an insulin user, but will make a general statement here.

Regarding "normal" doses of insulin. As you will have read a million times on here diabetes is such a personal things. 

With insulin, the important things is that you are taking amounts that allow you to manage your diabetes within your agreed targets, without gaining or losing weight. Of course, if you are looking to lose or gain weight, that's a separate level of tweaking potentially.

For T2s, we often have a certain amount of insulin resistance, which it is most superficial level means our bodies aren't using our insulin efficiently. This site describes it a bit, and there are lots of similar links online: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin-resistance.html

Please make sure you keep in contact with your HCPs during this matching process, so that they are appraised of what you're doing and the results you are getting.

Raven101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Speaking from personal experience, it took me the best part of a year to get my levels to behave - wound up taking 3000 mg of Metformin and 86 units of Novomix 30. Currently my nighttime BG is a bit haywire (due to recovering from a kidney op I’m not taking Metformin, been on “sick day” since early December) so I’ve been increasing nighttime insulin to keep things under control.

iHs

As a type 1 using twice daily mixed insulin for many years, I used the little but often way of eating carb and adjusted the food more than the insulin. I just eat food to the action of the insulin controlling my bg levels according to the bg targets my doctors gave me which are also the NICE bg targets. So instead of eating a large meal, I eat a smaller one and eat a small snack about 2.5hrs later.

AFM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Started on Novomix 30, with an initial dose of 28 units total to be taken as 14 units at Breakfast and 14 units at Dinner with the instructions to add 2 units per dose every 3 days until levels are in target ...
So far I have increased to 24 units breakfast and 24 units dinner, and still the levels have not altered since I started ...
Will be talking to the nurse when I can get an appointment (usually 3 or 4 weeks), but was wondering how others get on with Novomix and what doses other take..

Also does Novomix always work??? as am most surprised to not see any changes at all so far..

Grahame
yes I'm a T2 and have started on Novomix 30 and my reading are all over the place I started on 10 for breakfast and 10 before tea and now it's 30 before breakfast and 40 at tea, my reading are good before breakfast but in the teens all day??