New to the forum, how high do your levels spike after breakfast??

jonezy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning guys, I'm new to the forum but have been t1 for 7 years. Recently had a 2 week trial with the libre and found that about 90 mins after breakfast my level will spike from around 5.5-6.5 pre meal to high 12's.
Recently been changed to tresiba and fiasp but still no real difference.
What do you guys find and what do you have for breakfast, mine is either porridge or shreddies.
Cheers Ian

Reactions: kokhongw

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is exactly what the libre is good at. I was living in ignorance testing a couple of hours after breakfast and seeing single figures and dropping. My DSN even used to say as long as you are back to normal by next meal.....

But since libre I have changed my meals drastically. Breakfast is now Aldi's Paleo Muesli. About 10g per helping including a small amount of milk, and a very smooth BG curve for the next couple of hours.

jonezy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for That, my only concern is that i have a job where I'm constantly on the go.
I have 40g of cereal in the Morning, bit of milk and no sugar, my worry is that if I cut it down to say half that I would need to be constantly snacking to ensure my sugars don't plummet through the morning and then same again after lunch.
How do you cope with That?

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try bacon and eggs instead of cereal. You shouldnt feel hungry and your BS should stay even, without a spike. #LCHF

Reactions: jonezy

jonezy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't even think of That, excellent suggestion. All of this has only come around because of a job application. Regardless of whether I get it or not I want it as stable as I can. Thanks for the input

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You could also keep your cereal but inject a bit earlier - advance housing can help. So test, inject, shower etc then eat.

Reactions: db89 and jonezy

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @Diakat - do you currently do any advance bolusing?

I moved to Fiasp also mainly for spikes after breakfast even when taking the bolus 40+ minutes in advance. I still have to advance bolus for breakfast even with Fiasp but less so than with Novorapid.

jonezy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, haven't done any advanced bolusing but looks like I may have to. How long before breakfast do you do your injection? Have found with fiasp that my spikes have nearly gone throughout the day but it's just morning that is the pain. Although my diabetic nurse doesn't really seem to worried about them I'd like to get them as small as possible

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @jonezy
I usually give it 20 minutes. Your Libre can show you where your sugars start to go down as the insulin kicks in.

jonezy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for the last few days iv e had bacon and egg for breakfast and kept an eye on my levels and it still spikes nearly band on 90 mins after eating!! How on earth do I get that to stop, other than the spike my levels have been ok but would like them but more consistent and a touch lower

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So for the last few days iv e had bacon and egg for breakfast and kept an eye on my levels and it still spikes nearly band on 90 mins after eating!! How on earth do I get that to stop, other than the spike my levels have been ok but would like them but more consistent and a touch lower
I have a continuos rise until about noon or one. I get the same thing as you after 90 min even with a vlc small bf. I advance bolus 20 min, eat and at 90 min take another small bolus to stop the morning hormone rise. The first bolus covers my food and the second is to stop the further rise after I get moving around. I did loads of testing to find when my rise started and how to stop it. This works for ME but you'll have to do your own testing of course

Reactions: jonezy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
WHat might be a good idea is to see what happens if you don't have breakfast. I suspect that what you'll find is that your glucose levels rise anyway, but not by as much.

The other thing to consider is that as a T1, Bacon and Eggs can still cause a glucose increase, due to the glucagonogenic nature of eggs. Essentially, many of us get a liver dump when we eat eggs which we have to bolus for.

If you fast, you can determine how much of a correction dose you might need to deal with that, and then any rise on top of that requires additional insulin. It will be a bit trial and error, but you'll get there.