New to Type 2 & Forum, Hello

geef

Hi

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I'm a 37yo guy, I know I'm overweight.

It's been almost 2 weeks since I was diagnosed, my HBA1C came back as 8.2 and was told by my doctor I really should be looking at around below 7.5. This has came about due to me falling ill with a viral infection that has floored me taken me to recover.

I have an appointment for a diabetic clinic with the nurse this week (my first) and my doctor has put me on 2 x Metformin 500mg a day, with the thinking that I should raise this to 4 a day probably by the end of the year.

This site seen like a treasure trove for information & support so far, although I am still very overwhelmed by it all.

So, the last few weeks has been a rollercoaster of emotions, just when I feel positive about it, doubt springs to mind. I've been angry, sad, depressed, determined, positive about it within the space of a few minutes! :crazy:

Anyway, I could rant for longer, but hello people, Checking in here.

G

WhitbyJet

Oh oops geef - nobody responded to you yet, sorry but let me welcome you on board, you are most welcome here :)

I am type 2 diabetic, I remember feeling frustrated, shocked and confused at one point just like you do now. But fear not, as time passes and you begin to understand how food, carbohydrates in particular, affect your blood glucose levels you will learn more about diabetes, and becoming/staying fit and healthy.

You are in good company here, so have a good read around the forum, ask as many questions you need, there is always someone that comes up with just the right answer, plenty of support, advice, suggestions, recipes, help with losing weight and lots more, so dont feel alone any more.

To start you off, here is a link that is given to every newbie in the forum, normally our lovely daisy welcomes new members, but not seen her around today so I have been cheeky to jump in here first

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

We are looking forward to getting to know you more

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi geef and welcome to the forum :) It is certainly overwhelming when you are first diagnosed. My reaction was not to believe my doctor. But when you get used to the idea, it's really not so bad. And it's great belonging to this forum as you can find out anything you want to know. You don't feel alone any more. Ask all the questions you want and someone will come up with the information you need.

Tracey69

Welcome.
I am a type one on four injections and 2 x 500mg metformin twice a day. But honestly your not a lone. I have had diabetes for36 yrs and until about five years i ignored everything i was told and unfortunately i am suffering a few complications, so all i want to say is please listen to any advice given to you by your diabetic team and take as much advice as you can. I don't want to bombard you straight away, but i now wish i had listened more.
We are here to help you at any time. Look around the sight at the carb counting.
Tracey

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Geef - welcome to the forum, you've got a whole load of people here able to help you and share their experiences!

Best of luck :thumbup:

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Hi geef - welcome! :)

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2