newbie. chronic pain.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, this is my first posting... I was diagnosed with type 2 in Nov with a blood sugar of 30.3. I've managed to level at 10 so far but I have cronic pain in ankles and heels to. My dr yesterday said take pain killers you have no swelling and you have a pulse!!!
Can someone please advise what it could be and how to stop pain please :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Blood sugar control is the number one priority and 30 + is not good but at least, you've managed to drive it down ... big time

10 is still not ideal but a damned sight ahead of where you were

It should (the discomfort and pain) settle down over time but if that was your advice from the doctor, then go see someone else

Trite, but the truth .

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this is my first posting... I was diagnosed with type 2 in Nov with a blood sugar of 30.3. I've managed to level at 10 so far but I have cronic pain in ankles and heels to. My dr yesterday said take pain killers you have no swelling and you have a pulse!!!

it can be nerveproblems/nerve damage but only time can tell.

Very raised blood glucose over longer periods do often create nerve damage, some times it will be cronic and ireversible , but sometimes it can be reversed if one gets a very good control over ones blood glucose.. and that is actually realistic to most if they do count both their carbs and proteins (proteins like 0.8 gram pro kg bodyweight or less)
you need to get your numbers down under 6 mmol to try to reverse any possible nerve damage.

Maybe you could take a few fasting days with only coffee with cream and one or two meals with chicken , or simply a hand full of nuts like macadamia or brazil-nuts or an avocado .

And then in general longterm go very low carb like under 80 grams of carbs a day if you are not already counting your carbs...

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Welcome :)

I don't know what could be causing the pain, but it's good your doctor has checked your feet. If the pain persists, then I'd go back and ask what it could be. It might not be related to diabetes at all.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You can get nerve pain with prolonged high blood sugar. I had unexplained nerve pain in my arms a year or so before my diagnosis but disappeared when my blood sugar came down - let's hope yours does to.

Reactions: Liam1955

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
You should have a read around this site and Dr. Google regarding Alpha Lipoic Acid. It is known to help with neuropathic pain assuming that is what you have.

Reactions: Liam1955

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Have you had a proper diagnosis from your doc about the heel pain? Until you do, there isn't much advice we can give - because you don't know the cause. IT could be anything from achilles tendon issues, fallen arches, Charcot foot, heel spurs... so many different possibilities, on top of the liklihood it could be nerve damage (neuropathy).

You really do need a bit more detail from your doc, or a podiatrist, or a referral. Heck, maybe even your practice nurse could be a little more forthcoming! :)

The thing is, until you know what is actually causing the pain, you won't have a clue whether the best treatment is nutrition, exercise, rest, or something like an orthotic insole, or massage...

Good luck with getting a bit more info!

Reactions: Freema