Newbie on metformin

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anyone that hurts fur babies
hi everyone hope your all keeping well ,this is my first post im hopeing some of you may have answers for me ,i was diagnosed with t2 about 5 weeks ago a total shock as i thaughtit was my thyroid i felt so weak and unable to even go to the loo without effort as i had half my thyroid removed on 25th july the doc said she would do a glucose test just incase but was shocked when i got a call the next morning ,i have been on metaformin now for just over 3 weeks and i feel no different the glucose levels are quite good but still feel the burn in all my muscles ,how long does it take for it to work

Reactions: Liam1955 and Freema

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He hello @pattendown and welcome to the forum. @daisy1 will post some very useful information for you. You sound as there your going through a tough time. Take care

Reactions: pattendown

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) welcome pattendown

thats a lot to fight with at the same time... hopefully your thyroid levels are normalized by now...
a lot can get out of whack in the same time when mesing with thyroid gland... slowing down metabolism and then also creating the conditions to get diabetes if not well regulated in those hormons... hopefully you do get a lot of support...

I myself do use this thyroid hormon levothyroxine as my gland also dont work anymore, and of cause also have diabetes just got that like 17 years after loosing my natural function of thyroid gland..

I found out that my thyroid hormons work much better when I take a supplement of vitamin b12 and when eating low carb foods all the time... hope you´ll try that too...

Metformin only helps a little with diabetes the most of the work and difference we must do ourself, and that is best done quitting bread pasta , fruits and all kinds of cake and sweets, but after a while one gets used to it..

and in this forum you can ask for help to almost everything that has to do with diabetes... so keep on asking if you have any worries and needs advice

Last edited:

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi Pattendown,
I'm relatively newly diagnosed to only 8 weeks and taking 1G Metaformin twice a day. It maybe you need a higher dose? My health has improved a bit but their now questioning Hypothyroidism, as my thyroid level was borderline I'm having it retested just before christmas. Sorry to hear your still not out the woods yet either. There's a lot to get your head around with diabetes as well, but everyone is very friendly so ask any question no matter how silly it may seem, there's always someone who can help.
Most people on here advocate a Low Carbohydrate High Fat Diet, also purchasing a Blood Glucose monitor so you can test your own blood sugars each day Before each meal, 2 hours afterwards and at bed time, then you will be able to see how high they are and work out what foods send your blood sugars high and learn to avoid them. One thing I've learnt is that this is a manageable condition provided your careful and take care of yourself. If things continue to not improve go back to your Gp as I've already said you may need a larger dose of metaformin or maybe a different diabetic drug, or it could be there's something else going on your not aware of.
Good luck and take care
Maggie

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@pattendown - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).
Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the Intestines. But Metformin takes time to build up in your system to reach it's full effect. So do be patient and give it time to work. Always take it with or after food and drink plenty of water. Never take it on an empty stomach as you may experience some Stomach problems (and bowel problems also).

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@pattendown

Hello Pattendown and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It contains advice about carbs and levels and a link to the Low Carb Program which you could try. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @1954jessy - Read the postings on this thread - hope there are of interest to you? :)

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
hi ,as soon as i was diagnosed as my parntners mum and brother are type 1 i know to cut out sugar straight away and reduce carbs too i have done that sugar levels are quite good mainly around 7 at the highest after dinner but in the morning i usually get up with over 6 ,but my muscle weakness is still the same i feel really bad at the mo and very wepy because i feel its hindering my life as i have horses and i physically cant do much with them

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi ,as soon as i was diagnosed as my parntners mum and brother are type 1 i know to cut out sugar straight away and reduce carbs too i have done that sugar levels are quite good mainly around 7 at the highest after dinner but in the morning i usually get up with over 6 ,but my muscle weakness is still the same i feel really bad at the mo and very wepy because i feel its hindering my life as i have horses and i physically cant do much with them

have you tried just one week of really low carb, where you get under 30 gram of carbs for the whole day, maybe that could help you get your number even lower especially in the mornings and give you your energy back...

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
have you tried just one week of really low carb, where you get under 30 gram of carbs for the whole day, maybe that could help you get your number even lower especially in the mornings and give you your energy back...
i dont really eat too many carbs i dont eat pasta and rice very rarely i do however love mash but dont have it often i love pastry but dont have it often but do like my own home made bread brown with low fat spread half the sugar and skimmed milk ,i have noticed it doesnt matter ,do you think its insiline resistance

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i dont really eat too many carbs i dont eat pasta and rice very rarely i do however love mash but dont have it often i love pastry but dont have it often but do like my own home made bread brown with low fat spread half the sugar and skimmed milk ,i have noticed it doesnt matter ,do you think its insiline resistance

it is hard to say !
But now you ask yes Í would first think of too high blood glucose and that comes almost always from too much carbs , even bread is not an exception... actually white bread spikes blood glucose almost as much as sugars which many people do not know and even bread considered "healthy"-Whole grain do actually spike ones blood glucose very much very much...

I think you should measure you blood glucose every day... and go lower in carbs untill your numbers become normal...it is your choice though..
but it is actually very little most diabetics can eat of carbs a day if they want to have normal blood glucose and not get those horrible adding diseases that many type 2 ends up with and often die from too..

many can only handle 100 grams of carbs on the entire day...even when on medication

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-carbohydrates.php

https://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diet-meal-plan-and-menu/

Last edited:

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
i do t
it is hard to say !
But now you ask yes Í would first think of too high blood glucose and that comes almost always from too much carbs , even bread is not an exception... actually white bread spikes blood glucose almost as much as sugars which many people do not know and even bread considered "healthy"-Whole grain do actually spike ones blood glucose very much very much...

I think you should measure you blood glucose every day... and go lower in carbs untill your numbers become normal...it is your choice though..
but it is actually very little most diabetics can eat of carbs a day if they want to have normal blood glucose and not get those horrible adding diseases that many type 2 ends up with and often die from too..

many can only handle 100 grams of carbs on the entire day...even when on medication

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-carbohydrates.php

https://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diet-meal-plan-and-menu/
est daily this morning after 2 slices of toast ws 9 even when it is lower i still feel like my muscles are burning and just cant move

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i do t

est daily this morning after 2 slices of toast ws 9 even when it is lower i still feel like my muscles are burning and just cant move

well two slices of toast is also not really good diabetic foods.. it is high spiking foods and best to be avoided... you could try to eat only one slice if you do have to eat bread and if you want your blood glucose to be under the 7.8 mmol after eating which is normal non diabetic level or aim for 8.5 like it is recomended to be under for diabetics type 2
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my other half did 3 and when i said i shouldnt have it he went into a rant over the fuss im making i should worry so much as its only temperary its like im makeing a fuss over nothing

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
I'm glad to read you mentioning about the burn in your muscles... (I'm not glad you get the burn in your muscles) but it makes me feel better about my muscles burning when I climb stairs. (my father had bad circulation in his feet and both my parents were T2) I was worried my burning was something to do with my high BP.

I take 3 500mg tablets daily and was getting 11 to 12 in the mornings with some over 14, but spacing my tablets further apart has made my BG stabilise with less highs and lows. I don't know if this can help you as you only take 2 tablets daily.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Start again jo.lol
My doctor said my nerve endings were shot so put me on pregabalin.all they do is help woth my joints in general but I still get terrible burnings,my thighs are the worst.