Newly diagnosed 9 year old

Missbee100

Hi,
My 9 year old son was diagnosed a week ago after being rushed to hospital....
Being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic has been an absolute shock & when we are all still
Coming to terms with.
My son is now home and doing extremely well, I am so very proud of how he is dealing with everything.
I however am struggling to come to terms with his diagnosis.....it's not something I allow him to see as I want him to remain upbeat and positive, but I am struggling with guilt, anger, sadness and I can't seem to shake these feelings
I also feel guilty for feeling like this as it's my son who is going through it.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Or has these feelings?

It's really quite overwhelming
I have to say I have a new found appreciation for diabetics
It is life changing
Any comments or encouragement would be so gratefully received right now as I am feeling rather alone
Thank you

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Missbee100 you don't have anything to feel guilty about, do try not to be so hard on yourself.

I certainly think my diagnosis was harder on my mum than on me, and I was 25 so perfectly capable of looking after myself. Part of that might be because she was a nurse, so understood what it meant better than me.

I'm sure your son isn't going through anything, apart from feeling loads better now he's got some insulin in him.

Get hold of the book "think like a pancreas" it's a good guide to the basics of managing type 1 diabetes.

Maybe have a look for JDRF events near you, it's a good opportunity to meet other families dealing with the same issues and you're likely to meet other mums who have been through similar emotions.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Missbee100 :)

I think everything you're feeling is normal. It must be very upsetting. However, please don't feel guilty. It's not your fault in any way.

We have a Parents section here which you might like to read through. Let me tag a mum for you @mahola

I second the recommendation of Think Like A Pancreas. It's got a lot of info but is written in a friendly way.

Be kind to yourself. It takes time to get your head around a Type 1 diagnosis, and that counts as much if not more if it's your child who's been diagnosed.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Missbee100 - welcome to the forum.

I think it's perfectly natural to feel the way you do, you cannot feel guilty for anything, there is no particular reason why any type 1 gets the diagnosis, however it's how it's dealt with afterwards that determines how well controlled the type 1 is, the sooner it can be accepted then the sooner it can be dealt with and managed. Knowledge is the best way to handle this and by learning as much as you can means you are the expert. Lots of friendly support here so don't feel afraid to ask questions and learn from other parents, JDRF is also a great way to meet other families in the same boat.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As said, there is nothing to be guilty about! And also do keep in mind how much better he is feeling with insulin! I know I did. It might be a bit challenging at times but take deep breaths when it is. You'll both be there for each other
Be assured you are NOT ALONE and there are nothing but fabulous, intelligent people on this forum ready to help 24/7. Diabetes can be scary but we have each other , real people going through it. Reach out whenever you want.

Best wishes. You'll be a great mom. I can tell!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi,
Being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic has been an absolute shock & when we are all still
Coming to terms with.
My son is now home and doing extremely well, I am so very proud of how he is dealing with everything.
I however am struggling to come to terms with his diagnosis.....it's not something I allow him to see as I want him to remain upbeat and positive, but I am struggling with guilt, anger, sadness and I can't seem to shake these feelings
I also feel guilty for feeling like this as it's my son who is going through it.

It is life changing
Any comments or encouragement would be so gratefully received right now as I am feeling rather alone
Thank you
This is not your fault. It is not something you actively encouraged or promoted. Like all of us here on the forum, we are simply a fact of genetics. It happens, no one asks for it. Your son appears to accept it, which is good. I went through the period of apportioning blame, but over time I accepted it and moved on. I feel for you as a parent, my cousin is type 1 and her parents feel responsible. Free yourself of guilt.

Reactions: Dodo and Missbee100

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi,
Coming to terms with.

It is life changing
Thank you
Lotz and lotz of hugz!!!

Reactions: Missbee100

Missbee100

Hi @Missbee100 you don't have anything to feel guilty about, do try not to be so hard on yourself.

I certainly think my diagnosis was harder on my mum than on me, and I was 25 so perfectly capable of looking after myself. Part of that might be because she was a nurse, so understood what it meant better than me.

I'm sure your son isn't going through anything, apart from feeling loads better now he's got some insulin in him.

Get hold of the book "think like a pancreas" it's a good guide to the basics of managing type 1 diabetes.

Maybe have a look for JDRF events near you, it's a good opportunity to meet other families dealing with the same issues and you're likely to meet other mums who have been through similar emotions.

Thank you for your kind words, I will definitely get the book & have a read.
Definitely feel the need to meet other families who are in the same boat, I think it would boost my confidence.

Thanku!

Reactions: himtoo

Missbee100

As said, there is nothing to be guilty about! And also do keep in mind how much better he is feeling with insulin! I know I did. It might be a bit challenging at times but take deep breaths when it is. You'll both be there for each other
Be assured you are NOT ALONE and there are nothing but fabulous, intelligent people on this forum ready to help 24/7. Diabetes can be scary but we have each other , real people going through it. Reach out whenever you want.

Best wishes. You'll be a great mom. I can tell!

That's what's this forum is helping me to realize, that my son & me are not alone.
Already I have had some wonderful words of encouragement & helpful tips.
I have woken up this morning feeling empowered
Thank you so much!

Missbee100

Welcome @Missbee100 :)

I think everything you're feeling is normal. It must be very upsetting. However, please don't feel guilty. It's not your fault in any way.

We have a Parents section here which you might like to read through. Let me tag a mum for you @mahola

I second the recommendation of Think Like A Pancreas. It's got a lot of info but is written in a friendly way.

Be kind to yourself. It takes time to get your head around a Type 1 diagnosis, and that counts as much if not more if it's your child who's been diagnosed.

Thank you
I'm definitely going to try & be kind to myself
I don't want my son to worry about me worrying!
It's so lovely to know that we are not alone and that everyone on here is or has been through this & probably still going through it.
It's good to talk!

Reactions: himtoo and azure

Missbee100

This is not your fault. It is not something you actively encouraged or promoted. Like all of us here on the forum, we are simply a fact of genetics. It happens, no one asks for it. Your son appears to accept it, which is good. I went through the period of apportioning blame, but over time I accepted it and moved on. I feel for you as a parent, my cousin is type 1 and her parents feel responsible. Free yourself of guilt.

Thank you
Today is a new day and after reading everyone's replies I feel a lot more empowered
I have a new found appreciation for diabetics I really do.

Missbee100

Hello @Missbee100 - welcome to the forum.

I think it's perfectly natural to feel the way you do, you cannot feel guilty for anything, there is no particular reason why any type 1 gets the diagnosis, however it's how it's dealt with afterwards that determines how well controlled the type 1 is, the sooner it can be accepted then the sooner it can be dealt with and managed. Knowledge is the best way to handle this and by learning as much as you can means you are the expert. Lots of friendly support here so don't feel afraid to ask questions and learn from other parents, JDRF is also a great way to meet other families in the same boat.

Thank you for your kind words
I am going to learn as much as I can as I want my son to feel in control & live a normal life.
I am starting to realize it's not all doom & gloom & that actually once we have got our heads round it, the worlds his oyster!
Thank you again

Reactions: Kristin251
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, sending a big hug to you both, it's a whirlwind to start with, shock, distress and very scary too, but in time it will start to get easier, more manageable and having the support of the forum is half the battle. I know how I felt when my little granddaughter ( 2 1/2 yrs) was diagnosed and she is doing well, she will be 9 in a couple of months. Kids are tough little cookies. All my best to you both x
(It is no one's fault, as it's an autoimmune condition, the body attacks it's self)

Missbee100

Hi, sending a big hug to you both, it's a whirlwind to start with, shock, distress and very scary too, but in time it will start to get easier, more manageable and having the support of the forum is half the battle. I know how I felt when my little granddaughter ( 2 1/2 yrs) was diagnosed and she is doing well, she will be 9 in a couple of months. Kids are tough little cookies. All my best to you both x
(It is no one's fault, as it's an autoimmune condition, the body attacks it's self)

Thank you for your kind words
This forum has been brilliant
And is really helping with my confidence
I am sure it will get easier
So helpful knowing other people are going or have been through the same thing
Hope your granddaughter is well

And thank you x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Again !!:) I somehow must have missed this topic of yours ( just stumbled upon it now ):)

you really must try and not feel guilt -- this can be difficult as a parent -- I know my parents felt guilty when I was diagnosed but Diabetes has not stopped me having a good life , working hard , marrying my lovely wife ,playing sport etc etc.

give your family the time and space to get used to this diagnosis , try to be kind to yourself , and know you have a great group here for support
all the best !
x

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am struggling with guilt, anger, sadness

Pretty much every parent who has had a kid dx'd as T1 has experienced that.

My parents are in their late 70s, I've been T1 for 29 years now, I'm pretty comfortable with it, it doesn't bother me that much (having a libre sensor stuck on my arm so I can be pro-active with shifting levels helps a lot) but when I take them out for lunch my mum usually mentions at some point that she still feels a bit of guilt about how she sent her laddy off to university and he came back diabetic!

It's maybe just an inate part of parenthood - that overwhelming urge to look after kids that parents automatically blame themselves if anything goes wrong, why wasn't I there, did I feed them the wrong thing, what could I have done different.

I made the mistake once of telling my mum that it's a totally random, luck of the draw thing which maybe has a genetic component to it. Boy, was that a mistake - genes?, she said, so then she's worrying she'd passed on duff genes! Although I think it was just a ruse so I'd be compelled to buy her another Baileys to calm her down!

My take on it is that as a parent you will probably carry on blaming yourself at a subconscious level because that's what parents do, even though at a conscious level you know that it is a random condition which can happen to anyone regardless if upbringing.

You can rest assured that although it isn't a walk in the park, and there will be some messy hypos along the way, lots of us go on to live full active lifes and just have to plan ahead a bit more than your average guy. When I was jumping on a plane to go backpacking for six months, my parents were more worried about it than I was - I had the time of my life!

Don't wrap him in cotton wool. Sure, you and his DSN will be on hand to guide him through the basics of how much insulin for each meal and keeping an eye open for hypos, but he's at an age where it will serve his interests in the longer term to be engaged in the decision making processes and think about, ok, this meal is x carbs, so how much insulin does that need?

Mistakes will happen. There's a large degree of randomness in T1 which confounds even old timers - we never get it right all the time. So don't think of going out of range from time to time as a failure - it will happen despite best efforts - but more of a learning experience: why did that happen and what might I do differently the next time?

Read the book Breakthrough by Thea Cooper about the discovery of insulin. Motivational piece in it quoting a letter from Elizabeth Hughes, one of the first kids on insulin, to her parents, telling them how she is going to be, "captain of my own ship", by dispensing with nursey and taking her own injections in days when the syringes had to be boiled and the needles manually sharpened. Your boy will learn ingenuity, forethought and planning just like Elizabeth did.

Hypos are not nice. They're not painful (can't speak for everyone, but I think it's generally the case), it's more the confusion of thought. So don't go firing endless questions at him about are you ok yet. It can be difficult articulating answers when hypo and people quizzing you or being too in your face just adds to the stress. Although they can be distressing, both for the T1 and onlookers, the good news is that most hypos are sorted out very quickly with modest amounts of glucose. There's a very fine line between blood sugar being just right and too low. Most common or garden mild hypos can be sorted with 10 or 15 grams of glucose. Many people way overtreat, because they just eat till they feel better without realising that even neat glucose takes several minutes to get from the stomach into the blood stream, so they end up too high, so then end up on a rollercoaster taking more insulin to bring it back down. So, generally 10 to 15g, wait 10 to 15 minutes, rinse and repeat if not better. Amounts will need adjusting for more severe hypos.

The other big thing to watch out for is burnout. Some people take it very seriously after dx, then in their teens ignore it and run around with sugars in the high teens and 20s for extended periods. They feel fine, don't have hypos, think they are bullet proof, but it massively raises the chances of developing serious complications which can build up pretty quickly in the background. It's fairly common for teens to go through a phase like that only to be pulled up sharpish when they're told they're developing eye damage. There's no easy answer to it, but keep an eye open for any clues that he's deciding not to bother with insulin that much.

Anyway, there are downsides, but a bit of common sense deals with most of it, and he'll be jumping on a plane to go backpacking before you know it!

Missbee100

Hi Again !!:) I somehow must have missed this topic of yours ( just stumbled upon it now ):)

you really must try and not feel guilt -- this can be difficult as a parent -- I know my parents felt guilty when I was diagnosed but Diabetes has not stopped me having a good life , working hard , marrying my lovely wife ,playing sport etc etc.

give your family the time and space to get used to this diagnosis , try to be kind to yourself , and know you have a great group here for support
all the best !
x

Thanku!!
I can't even tell you how much the comments and support from people off this forum are helping

Reactions: azure and himtoo

Missbee100

Pretty much every parent who has had a kid dx'd as T1 has experienced that.

My parents are in their late 70s, I've been T1 for 29 years now, I'm pretty comfortable with it, it doesn't bother me that much (having a libre sensor stuck on my arm so I can be pro-active with shifting levels helps a lot) but when I take them out for lunch my mum usually mentions at some point that she still feels a bit of guilt about how she sent her laddy off to university and he came back diabetic!

It's maybe just an inate part of parenthood - that overwhelming urge to look after kids that parents automatically blame themselves if anything goes wrong, why wasn't I there, did I feed them the wrong thing, what could I have done different.

I made the mistake once of telling my mum that it's a totally random, luck of the draw thing which maybe has a genetic component to it. Boy, was that a mistake - genes?, she said, so then she's worrying she'd passed on duff genes! Although I think it was just a ruse so I'd be compelled to buy her another Baileys to calm her down!

My take on it is that as a parent you will probably carry on blaming yourself at a subconscious level because that's what parents do, even though at a conscious level you know that it is a random condition which can happen to anyone regardless if upbringing.

You can rest assured that although it isn't a walk in the park, and there will be some messy hypos along the way, lots of us go on to live full active lifes and just have to plan ahead a bit more than your average guy. When I was jumping on a plane to go backpacking for six months, my parents were more worried about it than I was - I had the time of my life!

Don't wrap him in cotton wool. Sure, you and his DSN will be on hand to guide him through the basics of how much insulin for each meal and keeping an eye open for hypos, but he's at an age where it will serve his interests in the longer term to be engaged in the decision making processes and think about, ok, this meal is x carbs, so how much insulin does that need?

Mistakes will happen. There's a large degree of randomness in T1 which confounds even old timers - we never get it right all the time. So don't think of going out of range from time to time as a failure - it will happen despite best efforts - but more of a learning experience: why did that happen and what might I do differently the next time?

Read the book Breakthrough by Thea Cooper about the discovery of insulin. Motivational piece in it quoting a letter from Elizabeth Hughes, one of the first kids on insulin, to her parents, telling them how she is going to be, "captain of my own ship", by dispensing with nursey and taking her own injections in days when the syringes had to be boiled and the needles manually sharpened. Your boy will learn ingenuity, forethought and planning just like Elizabeth did.

Hypos are not nice. They're not painful (can't speak for everyone, but I think it's generally the case), it's more the confusion of thought. So don't go firing endless questions at him about are you ok yet. It can be difficult articulating answers when hypo and people quizzing you or being too in your face just adds to the stress. Although they can be distressing, both for the T1 and onlookers, the good news is that most hypos are sorted out very quickly with modest amounts of glucose. There's a very fine line between blood sugar being just right and too low. Most common or garden mild hypos can be sorted with 10 or 15 grams of glucose. Many people way overtreat, because they just eat till they feel better without realising that even neat glucose takes several minutes to get from the stomach into the blood stream, so they end up too high, so then end up on a rollercoaster taking more insulin to bring it back down. So, generally 10 to 15g, wait 10 to 15 minutes, rinse and repeat if not better. Amounts will need adjusting for more severe hypos.

The other big thing to watch out for is burnout. Some people take it very seriously after dx, then in their teens ignore it and run around with sugars in the high teens and 20s for extended periods. They feel fine, don't have hypos, think they are bullet proof, but it massively raises the chances of developing serious complications which can build up pretty quickly in the background. It's fairly common for teens to go through a phase like that only to be pulled up sharpish when they're told they're developing eye damage. There's no easy answer to it, but keep an eye open for any clues that he's deciding not to bother with insulin that much.

Anyway, there are downsides, but a bit of common sense deals with most of it, and he'll be jumping on a plane to go backpacking before you know it!

I can't even tell you how much sense your post has made to me!

Reading that has given me hope that actually......it'll all be ok
Just got to be organized
I think us parents are always too hard on ourselves, glad to hear it's not just me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment back
You have made a stressed out mum just that little bit less stressed!

Thank you!!!!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't even tell you how much sense your post has made to me!

Reading that has given me hope that actually......it'll all be ok
Just got to be organized
I think us parents are always too hard on ourselves, glad to hear it's not just me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment back
You have made a stressed out mum just that little bit less stressed!

Thank you!!!!

Aaw, shucks, thanks, Misbee!

There was a post a week or so from a guy asking how his newly dx'd son could deal with football. It summed up the approach which needs to be taken - no question of stopping playing football, just what to do to carry on playing it.

Try to inculcate that spirit in your boy (and, although you will understandably be cautious, in yourself too).

Don't say he's diabetic, so he can't/shouldn't do that.

Instead, think, he's diabetic so what does he need to do so he can do it safely.

Often, it's little more than adjusting insulin amounts and making sure there's fast sugar available.

Me? In my younger days, I used to get up early, drive 100 miles to a ski-slope in the Highlands, hacked about on skis for 6 hours, went to the hotel pub, few beers, kipped in my tent in a five-seasons sleeping bag in the garden in the snow, skied the next day for another six hours, and drove home. There's so many aspects of that which would cause a non-T1 to ask, oh, should you be doing that? A couple of people actually asked me that. My answer was why shouldn't I, I'm not disabled, I pay attention to my sugars, I eat when I need to and I like ski-ing.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Scott-C has hit the nail on the head with his posts.

I never used to think of what I couldn't do -- just what adjustments would I need to make to do the things I wanted to do.
As a teen I water skied , snow skied , played 11 a side football , swam competitively , and in my 30's and 40's played 5 a side football .

Reactions: Dodo and azure