1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed and eating to blood glucose sugar monitor seems too easy?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Maradona, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Maradona: Thank you for this thread. Obviously your main interest is in dealing with your own health, but it is actually raising some very interesting issues (and ones that understandably generate controversy).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Maradona

Maradona Type 2 · Member

Thanks - When I was diagnosed I thought I could get a set of rules I could clearly follow but the advice is often not clear to me. I'm sure others must feel the same.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was lucky. The doctor just told me what to do (a low-carb diet; confusing to implement, but at least I knew the outline). I also "played it safe" by going ultra-low-carb and this is, from a mental confusion/planning point of view, easier to some extent than trying the "in-between route" as you are. We are all different, both in how our bodies react but also crucially in our tolerance for calculated risk.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Diabetes is a very complicated disease. Human being bodies are very complicated. No two human bodies are the same. We are all at different stages in our diabetes journey. The NHS doesn't help one bit with its dietary advice, and GPs and nurses don't have enough knowledge about it. There are no sets of rules, advice is rarely clear. We are left with having to gain the knowledge ourselves through reading.

Just as a matter of interest, @Maradona you have an excellent fasting reading, but I put forward the suggestion this is down to your large dose of Metformin reducing the amount of glucose produced by your liver.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Maradona
    I feel you are doing really well far a newly diagnosed. I also eat to my meter and have had normal HbA1c's for the last 2 years. I have found what works for me and hopefully you are finding what works for you. I have not gone very low carb, I just restrict the carbs my body can't cope with.It did take me 6 months to get my control and I still test as I want to keep control.

6. Maradona

Maradona Type 2 · Member

THANK YOU

7. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m the same in that I haven’t gone ultra low carb but know what I should and should not eat. @Maradona you are doing well however, looking at your figures, pasta seems to be the main culprit. I used to love pasta but now have courgetti or courgette lasagne so I get the same effect with only a portion of the carbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread it's been really thought provoking for me. I have got my levels down and I was thinking of relaxing my eating habits once I'd lost a bit more weight or even if it stalls. Up to now I'd just ignored insulin levels now I'm going to have to read up about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Julia McCoulough

Julia McCoulough Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That seems good

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. paulus1

paulus1 · Well-Known Member

seriously lose the chocolate and biscuits. youve got a fair few over target bloods my bloods are between 5-7 i would be cutting out stuff that sends you into the 9s and above. seriously the better control the better your future health. your not testing daily with spikes like yours i would be checking more often. your exercise is helping you.

11. knipster

knipster Type 1 · Member

I get that fruit is a pain but veg is great cause it’s virtually zero carb and are super healthy too

12. slinkimalinki

slinkimalinki Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I eat 8 gm of carbs PER DAY, not per biscuit. You can do better

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook